Pre-boarding as a 1k

Old Dec 23, 19, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United Silver
Pre-boarding as a 1k

Leaving for London today. Upon my return on the 30th, will have made 1k. Do you think they will let me pre-board with other 1ks this trip to experience what it is like?
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:22 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
You can try, but as your outbound boarding pass wont be 1K the gate agent may tell you to join group 1.
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by ekwang View Post
Leaving for London today. Upon my return on the 30th, will have made 1k. Do you think they will let me pre-board with other 1ks this trip to experience what it is like?
You aren't yet 1K, so no.
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Not worth the trouble convincing the GA and you'll probably be disappointed by the experience.
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:39 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I can give you some tips about pre-boarding. The moment you do make 1K, be sure to wait till passengers with disabilities are called. At that exact moment, pounce forward like a lion taking down a gazelle, and cut off the dozen Global Services, Military members and disabled who have been waiting patiently for 30 min.

only then will you have achieved true 1K status.
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS
Originally Posted by LordHamster View Post
I can give you some tips about pre-boarding. The moment you do make 1K, be sure to wait till passengers with disabilities are called. At that exact moment, pounce forward like a lion taking down a gazelle, and cut off the dozen Global Services, Military members and disabled who have been waiting patiently for 30 min.

only then will you have achieved true 1K status.
Dont forget to shout out that I am 1K during pre-boarding, in case the gate agent forgets asking the 1Ks to pre-board after Passengers needing special assistance, Military, GS and family with children less than 2 are being called.

Seriously, 1Ks do spend good money on UA and deserve to get the pre-boarding slot. Group 1 is just too long.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Dec 23, 19 at 9:53 am
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
Dont forget to shout out that I am 1K during pre-boarding. in case the gate agent forgets asking the 1Ks to pre-board after Passengers needing special assistance, Military, GS and family with children less than 2 are being called.
You also need to wear the 1K/GS uniform (see picture stolen from internet below)
Preferably dress like you just came out from the 200th sales meeting of the year, with way too much carryon jockeying for position.

But with the new preboarding, you need to be careful - those lined up for hours in Group 1 will shoot daggers at you as you go past them, and once preboarding for 1K is called, 1Ks will swoop in out of nowhere to cut you off.

There is much to learn in the 1K pre boarding ritual.

Old Dec 23, 19, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
All very amusing () but there are plenty of rude people in any given group of travelers, so not sure why we're singling out 1K here.

The basic problem is that UA has provided a published, marketed benefit, but (a) failed to consider how it might work in stations where there's no space for the pre-boarders to wait, (b) failed to account for the very large number of 1Ks on certain flights, and (c) failed to properly train/discipline its GAs on how to handle the pre-boarding process.

This last point is the worst. Not only do the GAs often fail to call pre-board groups in the correct order, or even to call certain groups at all, they often start boarding earlier than the announced time, or without making any clear announcement as to whose turn it is to board. What this does is create a ton of uncertainty among those waiting to preboard, who get anxious because they're afraid they're going to get skipped over and wind up behind Group 1 (raise your hand if this has happened to you). And once a couple of these break for the gate, the herd follows.
Old Dec 23, 19, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.9 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Last pax to board as 1K, anyone?

Originally Posted by ekwang View Post
Seriously, if I do not have a carryon luggage, I will post-board as 1K after Group 5, instead of pre-board. I do not have to wait for 30 or more minutes (extra time in lounge for international trips) before the aircraft door is closed. This 1K benefit is only meaningful if you have to worry about the overhead space.
Old Dec 23, 19, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
All very amusing () but there are plenty of rude people in any given group of travelers, so not sure why we're singling out 1K here.

The basic problem is that UA has provided a published, marketed benefit, but (a) failed to consider how it might work in stations where there's no space for the pre-boarders to wait, (b) failed to account for the very large number of 1Ks on certain flights, and (c) failed to properly train/discipline its GAs on how to handle the pre-boarding process.

This last point is the worst. Not only do the GAs often fail to call pro-board groups in the correct order, or even to call certain groups at all, they often start boarding earlier than the announced time, or without making any clear announcement as to whose turn it is to board. What this does is create a ton of uncertainty among the various groups of pre-boarders, causing them to anxiously rush the gate because they're afraid they're going to get skipped over and wind up behind Group 1. And once a couple break for the gate, the herd follows.
Singling out the 1K because of GS feels. Preboarding isn't special anymore..
Old Dec 23, 19, 10:22 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
Seriously, if I do not have a carryon luggage, I will post-board as 1K after Group 5, instead of pre-board. I do not have to wait for 30 or more minutes (extra time in lounge for international trips) before the aircraft door is closed. This 1K benefit is only meaningful if you have to worry about the overhead space.
This⬆️

The issue is not only the concern with overhead space it is overhead space above your seat. I am astounded at how many pax put their carryon above my seat and I then expect they will then be sitting next to or near me to watch them walk another few rows back where there is open overhead space above them. Of course the person sitting next to me is then forced to find space further back and then swim upstream on arrival to retrieve their bags.

So this 1K when she has carryon boards after the families with small children purely to ensure on arrival no need to swim upstream. I would prefer to be at the end of boarding.

For the life of me I do not understand why the UA FAs do not do a better job of "policing" this during boarding - foreign domestic airlines do this extremely well.

In answer to the OP - do not embarrass yourself if 1K is not on your BP.
Kacee, iluv2fly, narvik and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why chance it? Just fake a disability and you will be assured of pre-boarding.
Old Dec 23, 19, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Why chance it? Just fake a disability and you will be assured of pre-boarding.
Or kidnap a small child
jasonp622, benewr and ichigen like this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Or kidnap a small child
the child does not need to be small
seanp7, benewr and mikeyf like this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 11:41 am

Programs: UA GS 1.6M lifetime,
Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
Singling out the 1K because of GS feels. Preboarding isn't special anymore..
When everybody is special, nobody is special.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS and lhrsfo like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: