Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bag handling on ground airport transfer with common city code-NRT/HND,EWR/LGA/JFK,...

Bag handling on ground airport transfer with common city code-NRT/HND,EWR/LGA/JFK,...

Old Dec 16, 19, 1:04 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: Northwest, United
Posts: 2,955
Bag handling on ground airport transfer with common city code-NRT/HND,EWR/LGA/JFK,...

I'm looking at booking an award flight using United miles from SFO to BKK, via Tokyo. Inbound flight on UA metal SFO-NRT, longish (8-9 hour) layover, then onward from HND-BKK on NH. My questions are around getting myself and my checked bags from NRT to HND for the connection. Will be in business.

I assume I can check my bags through all the way. I further assume that I won't have to claim them at NRT, drag them to HND myself, and re-check them there for the second leg - that is, once I check my bags in at SFO, I won't see/touch them again until I claim them in BKK. Correct?

How about getting myself between airports? Does my ticket include some kind of an airport shuttle from NRT to HND?

Thanks.
nwflyboy is offline  
Old Dec 16, 19, 1:48 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: SFO/YYZ
Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Premier Silver
Posts: 1,455
Originally Posted by nwflyboy View Post
I'm looking at booking an award flight using United miles from SFO to BKK, via Tokyo. Inbound flight on UA metal SFO-NRT, longish (8-9 hour) layover, then onward from HND-BKK on NH. My questions are around getting myself and my checked bags from NRT to HND for the connection. Will be in business.

I assume I can check my bags through all the way. I further assume that I won't have to claim them at NRT, drag them to HND myself, and re-check them there for the second leg - that is, once I check my bags in at SFO, I won't see/touch them again until I claim them in BKK. Correct?

How about getting myself between airports? Does my ticket include some kind of an airport shuttle from NRT to HND?

Thanks.
You have to collect your bag and bring it to HND. You will have to fund your own transport to HND. There's a bus that goes between the two as well as several train lines. The former is preferable.

ANA is launching SFO-HND service next year so when that goes on sale you may want to keep an eye on award space and switch to that flight to avoid the airport transfer. That is, assuming your travel commences after that route launches.

Also, if you could tell me what sort of magic powers you used to find a business award on UA's SFO-NRT flight I would appreciate it.
nexusCFX is offline  
Old Dec 16, 19, 1:52 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: Northwest, United
Posts: 2,955
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
You have to collect your bag and bring it to HND. You will have to fund your own transport to HND. There's a bus that goes between the two as well as several train lines. The former is preferable.
Ugh. Geez, that sucks - can't believe they require that. I'm fine with funding/arranging my own transport between the two, it's lugging the bags that would be a major pain. I'm gonna have 2 or 3 huge, heavy bags (bringing scuba gear, and Christmas presents for a whole family) - and I will be traveling alone. Oy vey.

Well, thanks for giving me the unhappy news. At least I know now. Hmmm....

Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
Also, if you could tell me what sort of magic powers you used to find a business award on UA's SFO-NRT flight I would appreciate it.
Just got lucky, I think - a single seat on one day. No special mojo used. I guess miracles happen.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 16, 19 at 8:37 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
nwflyboy is offline  
Old Dec 16, 19, 2:09 am
  #4  
formerly 1984SW
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Programs: UA
Posts: 713
Past reports have been that you are on your own for the NRT-HND "transfer." Bags must be picked up in NRT and you carry them to HND yourself. No airline-provided transportation, either. You either bus, train or taxi at your own expense to HND.

Edit: As I was composing this post, nexusCFX posted the same info above.
wpcoe is offline  
Old Dec 16, 19, 2:18 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: Northwest, United
Posts: 2,955
Originally Posted by 1984SW View Post
As I was composing this post, nexusCFX posted the same info above.
Thank you both. Obviously, not what I wanted to hear, but it is what it is. That said, given how well the Japanese seem to manage most things, I'm pretty surprised they just leave you on your own for this. I had always imagined the airlines and the two airports would handle everything. So much for my plans for a brief but fun evening in Tokyo between flights. Oh well.
nwflyboy is offline  
Old Dec 16, 19, 2:57 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 1A
Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Amanjunkie, Global Entry, CLEAR
Posts: 2,809
This question keeps getting asked many times a year and the answer should be in an FAQ. NRT and HND are unrelated and always will be. It’s like asking if your bags would be checked through when landing at SFO and departing SJC. Somehow that’s obviously not going to happen in the US but we Americans seem to expect it for two airports further from one another than those two, in Japan.

Collect your bags. Transit on your own. It’s a different airport in an entirely different city. Word to the wise - avoid that kind of “connection”. That’s the real problem is that airlines offer such a “connection” which they would never do for the much closer airport combination listed above.

I guess we can blame UA for that like we blame them for everything else under the (rising) sun.....
ainternational is offline  
Old Dec 16, 19, 3:13 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 11,482
Doesn't even work with LGA/JFK/EWR connections. You need to collect and lug your bags between them.
st3 likes this.
TerryK is offline  
Old Dec 16, 19, 3:14 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: YVR
Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Posts: 418
The bus between the 2 ain't too bad at all, its a coach ride direct from terminal to terminal. Free wi-fi, plenty of legroom, and a table if you bring some snacks for the ride.
uanj and artvandalay like this.
teriyaki is offline  
Old Dec 16, 19, 3:17 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 27,595
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Doesn't even work with LGA/JFK/EWR connections. You need to collect and lug your bags between them.
This is what immediately came to mind. Suppose you flew into EWR on UA and had a flight on LH out of JFK. Would you expect an airline to take you and your bags from EWR to JFK?
LondonElite is offline  
Old Dec 16, 19, 3:32 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 26
The same thing happens for the UA/NH 'connection' at KIX/ITM in Osaka.
ichigen is offline  
Old Dec 16, 19, 3:35 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,530
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
Also, if you could tell me what sort of magic powers you used to find a business award on UA's SFO-NRT flight I would appreciate it.
Seriously. I watched that route for months and UA never opened anything. NH very rarely (LAX and SEA much easier).
nexusCFX likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Old Dec 16, 19, 3:36 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NT Australia
Programs: QF WP
Posts: 3,321
Stupid question, can you use takyubin for this or is the turnaround too short?
nancypants is offline  
Old Dec 16, 19, 4:40 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: BOS
Programs: JMB
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
Stupid question, can you use takyubin for this or is the turnaround too short?
Takkyubin usually takes a day or two depending on destination so won’t work for the NRT-HND transfer
You could mail your heavy luggage to your final destination and go to Haneda bag free though... just remember it won’t be there on day 1 so pack a backpack with a day or two of necessities.
nancypants likes this.
Jinxed_K is offline  
Old Dec 16, 19, 5:45 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Posts: 12,546
Frankly the transfer is not that bad. You bring your trolley to the bus and they load your bags. Then you take a trolley upon arrival of the bus in HND.
Traffic can be bad at rush hour, but it seems that you have plenty of time
trooper likes this.
brunos is offline  
Old Dec 16, 19, 5:59 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston MA
Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Posts: 529
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Frankly the transfer is not that bad. You bring your trolley to the bus and they load your bags. Then you take a trolley upon arrival of the bus in HND.
Traffic can be bad at rush hour, but it seems that you have plenty of time
The alternative of course is to take the Keikyu train. Conveniently connected to both airport. One train hop and in 2 hours you are there.

A bit longer but no traffic, for sure OP will arrive on time.

This being said, with 8-9 hours to spare, no worries with the bus either.
skidooman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: