Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bag handling on ground airport transfer with common city code-NRT/HND,EWR/LGA/JFK,...

Bag handling on ground airport transfer with common city code-NRT/HND,EWR/LGA/JFK,...

Old Dec 16, 19, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jinxed_K View Post
If it's the name that's making people think Narita (Tokyo-Narita International Airport) and Haneda (Tokyo International Airport) are a stone's throw away from each other (they're about 80km apart), maybe it's time we just call Narita, Chiba International airport. =)
It has nothing to do with the name. It has to do with the fact that both NRT and HND are coded as airports for city code TYO, with a defined inter-airport transfer connection procedure between them. That's why it's common to see flight search results that include that transfer, but not SFO-SJC -- those aren't co-terminals.
Old Dec 16, 19, 12:17 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by Jinxed_K View Post
maybe it's time we just call Narita, Chiba International airport. =)
IIRC, flight monitors usually list HND as “Tokyo” while NRT flights will usually say “Narita”..?
Old Dec 16, 19, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
It has nothing to do with the name. It has to do with the fact that both NRT and HND are coded as airports for city code TYO, with a defined inter-airport transfer connection procedure between them. That's why it's common to see flight search results that include that transfer, but not SFO-SJC -- those aren't co-terminals.
It's the same when one searches for NYC or CHI. Even DET will include Toledo airport in principle, although I'm not sure it has any scheduled commercial flights.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by nwflyboy View Post
Thank you both. Obviously, not what I wanted to hear, but it is what it is. That said, given how well the Japanese seem to manage most things, I'm pretty surprised they just leave you on your own for this. I had always imagined the airlines and the two airports would handle everything. So much for my plans for a brief but fun evening in Tokyo between flights. Oh well.
Why is it a surprise? If you flew to Austin and out through Dallas on AA you'd be no different, or into LGA and out of JFK. It is two different airports. 80 kilometers apart.
Old Dec 16, 19, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
Why is it a surprise? If you flew to Austin and out through Dallas on AA you'd be no different,
Austin and Dallas are 200 miles apart, and would never be offered as connecting points on a single ticket.

What some here don't seem to grasp is that these NRT-HND connections are regularly, and pro-actively offered by UA on award searches to points onward in Asia. That's because UA has a JV with NH, and the UA search engine has therefore been programmed to prefer these "connections" and list them ahead of ones that involve other carriers but do not require a change of airport.
Old Dec 16, 19, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
What some here don't seem to grasp is that these NRT-HND connections are regularly, and pro-actively offered by UA on award searches to points onward in Asia. That's because UA has a JV with NH, and the UA search engine has therefore been programmed to prefer these "connections" and list them ahead of ones that involve other carriers but do not require a change of airport.
IME, UA does exactly the same thing with inter-IAD/DCA and inter-EWR/JFK transfers. AA domestic awards seem eager to give me an inter-DFW/DAL transfer too (onto AS). It's just a thing that happens.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by findark View Post
IME, UA does exactly the same thing with inter-IAD/DCA and inter-EWR/JFK transfers. AA domestic awards seem eager to give me an inter-DFW/DAL transfer too (onto AS). It's just a thing that happens.
Yes, it is. I'm not contesting that. I'm responding to those who are criticizing/insulting OP for even asking the question about baggage transfer. These types of connections are encouraged by the booking engine, with no further disclosure, and if you're not familiar with what's going on, it's understandable you might think bag transfer is included.
Old Dec 16, 19, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Austin and Dallas are 200 miles apart, and would never be offered as connecting points on a single ticket.

Not just award searches. I see NRT-HND and EWR-JFK connections frequently when searching for paying fares. I know what it means now but 15 years ago, I would have had the same idea as the OP despite having flown quite a bit on multiple airlines. Despite travel to SIN, AKL, ICN, etc., I had never before encountered a ticket that had me crossing a city and doing the baggage transfer myself. I've had to do that when transferring international to domestic but I understood that as part of the Customs and Immigration process and the transfer was in the same airport. Having to do that on a purely international connection or domestic-to-international outbound was dumbfounding when I first saw it.
Old Dec 16, 19, 1:52 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
... These types of connections are encouraged by the booking engine, with no further disclosure, and if you're not familiar with what's going on, it's understandable you might think bag transfer is included.
I believe you do get a little warning regarding the airport change. Hmm.. just tried to do a search, but can't find any flights that will force an airport change right now..

As a data point, I've booked NRT-NRT flights so I didn't have to do an airport change (I also prefer the NRT lounges), but still ended up having to move to HND to catch another flight due to IRROPS - late arrival into NRT/canceled flight out of NRT. NH did foot the bill in those situations and gave me a bus voucher and food money, but I still had to transport the luggage myself.
Old Dec 16, 19, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mr8 View Post
I believe you do get a little warning regarding the airport change. Hmm.. just tried to do a search, but can't find any flights that will force an airport change right now..
As I said before, you get a little warning about the airport changes but it's not very prominent and is easily missed by someone not looking for it. I don't recall the warning specifically telling prospective travelers that they are responsible for transferring the luggage themselves either. Knowing that now, I look for those warnings and book away from those potential fares but it would really be better if that kind of ticketing required a conscious opt-in.
Old Dec 16, 19, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post

ANA is launching SFO-HND service next year so when that goes on sale you may want to keep an eye on award space and switch to that flight to avoid the airport transfer. That is, assuming your travel commences after that route launches.
No kidding. Connecting to a TPAC award flight can be a challenge, which is why OP wound up with this itinerary.
With the Christmas reference, I suspect next Spring is too late.

But perhaps OP can keep searching for award space on one of the NRT-BKK flights on NH instead - perhaps it will open up closer to departure.
Old Dec 16, 19, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe View Post
As I said before, you get a little warning about the airport changes but it's not very prominent and is easily missed by someone not looking for it. I don't recall the warning specifically telling prospective travelers that they are responsible for transferring the luggage themselves either.
The warning says "airport change" but doesn't say anything about baggage transfer. It's caveat emptor, and OP has done his homework by coming here to ask how this works.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver
For those who haven't done this before: This is Japan: Both the bus and trains (which vary) are comfortable. This is not like lugging large luggage around Manhattan or something. Airport buses are designed for large luggage; the bags get checked into the hold. This is not like a US hotel shuttle.

It will be fine.
Old Dec 16, 19, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest, United
Just to circle back and clarify a few points...
Also, if you could tell me what sort of magic powers you used to find a business award on UA's SFO-NRT flight I would appreciate it.
I never said it was a SAVER level award. If you point the mileage gun at almost any route and hold down the trigger long enough, you can get on lots of routes that are all but impossible to book at a reasonable cost.

NRT and HND are unrelated and always will be. It’s like asking if your bags would be checked through when landing at SFO and departing SJC. Somehow that’s obviously not going to happen in the US but we Americans seem to expect it for two airports further from one another than those two, in Japan.

I guess we can blame UA for that like we blame them for everything else under the (rising) sun.....
I've actually flown to, through and within Japan more than a few times. I'm familiar with both airports. I've just never considered a routing that would have me "connect" through both on the same day. I'm aware of the high quality experience of using most transit options in Japan. I fact, the reason I had assumed there would be some brain-dead, everything-handled-for-you way to get (both you and your bags) between the airports is that I've come to expect such things in Japan. The idea that a US airline would get your bags from SFO to SJC, or JFK to EWR is laughable. But I'm used to a higher standard in Japan.

Sounds like the trek between airports, even with a mountain of bags in tow, is manageable, although not the white-glove experience I had hoped. I'll be fine.

Thanks for all the input.
st3, wrp96, ajGoes and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 19, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
This thread reminded me of this older one about ground airport transfers not at all being clearly listed in the app: United sells tickets with hidden airport transfers...

Even on the web interface, I always thought it odd how small the airport transfer warning is - it's the exact same format as the warning for a "date change" when the offered itinerary departs after midnight, which seems really odd when the dates for such options are also so clearly listed and in a different color.

Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
The alternative of course is to take the Keikyu train. Conveniently connected to both airport. One train hop and in 2 hours you are there.

A bit longer but no traffic, for sure OP will arrive on time.

This being said, with 8-9 hours to spare, no worries with the bus either.
As others have noted, I definitely wouldn't recommend the train for a solo traveler with potentially three "huge, heavy" bags.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: