Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bag handling on ground airport transfer with common city code-NRT/HND,EWR/LGA/JFK,...

Bag handling on ground airport transfer with common city code-NRT/HND,EWR/LGA/JFK,...

Old Dec 16, 19, 6:13 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
The alternative of course is to take the Keikyu train. Conveniently connected to both airport. One train hop and in 2 hours you are there.

A bit longer but no traffic, for sure OP will arrive on time.

This being said, with 8-9 hours to spare, no worries with the bus either.
But..on the train you have to deal with your own baggage (and it's a local commuter train), whereas on the bus it goes in the hold
Old Dec 16, 19, 6:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Delta/United Gold
ANA operates flights to BKK from both NRT and HND.
Old Dec 16, 19, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
ANA operates flights to BKK from both NRT and HND.
No kidding. Connecting to a TPAC award flight can be a challenge, which is why OP wound up with this itinerary.
Old Dec 16, 19, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by ainternational View Post
This question keeps getting asked many times a year and the answer should be in an FAQ. NRT and HND are unrelated and always will be. Itís like asking if your bags would be checked through when landing at SFO and departing SJC. Somehow thatís obviously not going to happen in the US but we Americans seem to expect it for two airports further from one another than those two, in Japan.
In fact, are there any pairs/sets of airports within one metropolitan area in which checked bags on one ticket are routinely transferred by an airline? I know it doesn't happen in the NYC airports, and both BA and Air France explicitly specify the passenger has to transport their own checked bags if there's a change of airport (LHR/LGW or CDG/ORY), but I don't know if this normally happens anywhere else in the world.

I would have thought it was a general rule that the passenger always have to transfer their own checked bags if there's a change of airport, but I've learned on this board that my assumptions are often wrong (!) so I'm curious.
Old Dec 16, 19, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by andrewesque View Post
In fact, are there any pairs/sets of airports within one metropolitan area in which checked bags on one ticket are routinely transferred by an airline? I know it doesn't happen in the NYC airports, and both BA and Air France explicitly specify the passenger has to transport their own checked bags if there's a change of airport (LHR/LGW or CDG/ORY), but I don't know if this normally happens anywhere else in the world.

I would have thought it was a general rule that the passenger always have to transfer their own checked bags if there's a change of airport, but I've learned on this board that my assumptions are often wrong (!) so I'm curious.
Not that I am aware of. Inter-coterminal transfers can be fared as transfers but you have to move yourself and your bags.

Closest thing I can think of that would qualify would be I/D at SYD but that's quite a stretch
Old Dec 16, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire

I think in general you are correct. But in case of MX it may happen.

For example, on one of my trips to China, I came back via PVG->IST->BOS, which left at night. We were in Beijing, so in the morning we did PEK->SHA and thought about enjoying Shanghai for a while.

We arrived on time in SHA. But, lo and behold, no checked bags. They were conveniently "forgotten" in PEK. They wouldn't arrive until one hour or so before our flight out of PVG!

Fortunately, Mrs and Mr Skidooman speak Chinese, we explained the situation. But we got an unexpected answer: they couldn't schedule our bag to arrive in SHA earlier BUT they would gladly transfer them to our final destination in BOS at no charge.

"How? There are not much in terms of international flights out of Hongqiao..."

"We will bus them to PVG and forward them from there!"

So, off we went. I thought our luggage were toast. But this is vacation and vacation must go on, I figured, so it kept on visiting Shanghai and later Istanbul with the wife and kids.

When I land in Boston and turned the cell phone off, someone from Hainan Airways (which flight from PVG landed hours earlier) was calling me like crazy asking when we could come pick up our luggage. It actually made its way to PVG on cue and arrived in BOS before us!

Not sure if it is a usual thing, or some special gig they did for us, but I was quite impressed with these baggage folks in Shanghai.
Old Dec 16, 19, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
I would have thought it was a general rule that the passenger always have to transfer their own checked bags if there's a change of airport
It is, but this is not the first time this question has been asked about NRT/HND. I don't know of any other airport pair where such connections are so commonly offered.
Often1 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It is, but this is not the first time this question has been asked about NRT/HND. I don't know of any other airport pair where such connections are so commonly offered.
I've seen them on ICN/GMP, PVG/SHA, KIX/ITM -- heck, just this weekend I saw an Air China flight that wanted me to transfer PKZ/PEK. In addition to EWR/JFK/LGA, UA also thinks it's a good idea to offer IAD/DCA transfers.

I think the relative abundance of NRT/HND transfers speaks more to how often United likes to send people through Tokyo than anything in particular about those airports.
Old Dec 16, 19, 8:46 am

Programs: AA,DL
With bugs take bus. It's about $31, but is really easy.
Old Dec 16, 19, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
This is what immediately came to mind. Suppose you flew into EWR on UA and had a flight on LH out of JFK. Would you expect an airline to take you and your bags from EWR to JFK?
I understand what you mean but I also understand why an infrequent traveler (or even a frequent one that isn't used to those routes) might think the airlines would take care of bag transfer if they're willing to list tickets with those kinds of connections as first choice airfares. To my mind, any connection involving a manual transfer between airports should be flagged prominently, perhaps even in its own section, as I've seen them listed when I've done fare searches on dot bomb with small, easily missed warnings about the transfer between airports.
Old Dec 16, 19, 9:30 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe View Post
I understand what you mean but I also understand why an infrequent traveler (or even a frequent one that isn't used to those routes) might think the airlines would take care of bag transfer if they're willing to list tickets with those kinds of connections as first choice airfares. To my mind, any connection involving a manual transfer between airports should be flagged prominently, perhaps even in its own section, as I've seen them listed when I've done fare searches on dot bomb with small, easily missed warnings about the transfer between airports.
Quite the contrary. Nobody here can even think of any carrier at any location which handles bags for ground transfers. It is not as though there is a cohort of travelers who have had their ground transfer bags handled by carriers worldwide and then arrive at NRT or HND to find that what they see elsewhere is not the case in TYO.
Old Dec 16, 19, 10:10 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Take the bus, really easy. You will load a baggage cart, exit Customs, buy your bus ticket, wheel your cart to the numbered bus platform where bus staff will take it from you and give you a claim check. They will load it underneath when the bus arrives as the passenger climb up and aboard. Same thing in reverse upon arrival and there will be carts waiting at the arrivals drop-off point. If had to transfer between any two terminals in the world with my luggage like this I would absolutely choose these two. Have done it in my sleep, well almost By the way, also going to BKK.
Old Dec 16, 19, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Quite the contrary. Nobody here can even think of any carrier at any location which handles bags for ground transfers. It is not as though there is a cohort of travelers who have had their ground transfer bags handled by carriers worldwide and then arrive at NRT or HND to find that what they see elsewhere is not the case in TYO.
Nobody here but FT is not representative of the general populace. I can imagine infrequent travelers or travelers who aren't used to cross-city connections not even thinking about it when the airline blithely lists it on a single ticket quote. Yes, there is a warning for EWR/JFK connections but it's not exactly prominent and those are at least in two different cities. The fact they are two different airport codes SHOULD trigger people to look into it further but a lot of people's experience with buying an airfare on a single ticket is limited to checking their bags in at departure and picking it up at arrival. Just look at OP's original assumption.
jsloan and writerguyfl like this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 10:46 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I've been wondering whether the closest example might be HKG to Macao by ferry as I think checked bags are automatically transferred to the ferry and never enter Hong Kong in terms of customs, etc.

Another older example would be the Lufthansa airport express train (RIP) from FRA to DUS with stops in Bonn and Cologne. For passengers originating at Cologne or Bonn and departing on LH flights from FRA, bags would be checked and tagged on the train, then moved by the owner to carts on the platform upon arrival at FRA. If one had a connection from FRA to DUS (airport to airport) by this special train operated by LH, I would assume that the bags would have been tagged through, but with the passenger required to physically move them between the train itself and the cart on the platform.
Old Dec 16, 19, 11:53 am

Programs: JMB
If it's the name that's making people think Narita (Tokyo-Narita International Airport) and Haneda (Tokyo International Airport) are a stone's throw away from each other (they're about 80km apart), maybe it's time we just call Narita, Chiba International airport. =)
Like the way people keep pointing out Tokyo Disney Land is also in Chiba, although I suppose Urayasu is close enough to Tokyo to not matter.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: