Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will the Polaris seats replace domestic business class seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Bonvoy Ambassador

I've been enjoying the roll-out of Polaris seats on more of my international flights (although I was stepping over my prone aisle seatmate on the 787-900 I flew last night from SYD-IAH).

However, I've been looking for information on whether United will upgrade the domestic business class seats to use Polaris seats. I get Polaris seats sometimes now, when they're repositioning planes. But most transcontinental (formerly PS) flights use 757s, which the United tracker gives no indication will be upgraded. United just announced that the 757s will be replaced by A321XLR starting in 2024. Does that mean we'll be stuck with the 2 across or 4 across business class seats for another 5 years?

Relatedly, have you seen an analysis on whether the Polaris seats take more space than the old seats? That is, can you fit you less Polaris seats in an identical cabin?

Last edited by howdy000; Dec 13, 2019 at 12:55 pm Reason: typo on IAH
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by howdy000
United just announced that the 757s will be replaced by A321XLR starting in 2024. Does that mean we'll be stuck with the 2 across or 4 across business class seats for another 5 years?
If United knows what seats will be used in the 321s (and they may not), they've not shared that information publicly.

Relatedly, have you seen an analysis on whether the Polaris seats take more space than the old seats? That is, can you fit you less Polaris seats in an identical cabin?
The Polaris (Optima) seat is space neutral to the prior seats (B/E Diamond and IPTE), i.e., same number seats in same space. The seat has not, to my knowledge, been used in a narrowbody, and I doubt they would achieve the same efficiencies.
howdy000 and lrgt like this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA MM
I've been enjoying the roll-out of Polaris seats on more of my international flights (although I was stepping over my prone aisle seatmate on the 787-900 I flew last night from SYD-UAH).

However, I've been looking for information on whether United will upgrade the domestic business class seats to use Polaris seats. I get Polaris seats sometimes now, when they're repositioning planes. But most transcontinental (formerly PS) flights use 757s, which the United tracker gives no indication will be upgraded. United just announced that the 757s will be replaced by A321XLR starting in 2024. Does that mean we'll be stuck with the 2 across or 4 across business class seats for another 5 years?

A couple answers:

1) I dont think anyone knows what F seats will be used on A321XLR.
2) There are many UA transcon flights that are on 737s. It's not just 757s.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
2) There are many UA transcon flights that are on 737s. It's not just 757s.
The Premium Transcontinental flights are all on lie-flat seats, whether the high-density 777, 787-10, 757, or a 787-8/9 or international configured 777 on a positioning flight. The 737 is not used in those markets. (You will definitely see 737s on non-premium transcontinental flights, though, like SEA-IAD or SFO-MCO).
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
The Premium Transcontinental flights are all on lie-flat seats, whether the high-density 777, 787-10, 757, or a 787-8/9 or international configured 777 on a positioning flight. The 737 is not used in those markets.
And it's pretty clear OP was referring to the premium t-cons, which as you note are not flown by 737s (absent a most unfortunate last minute swap).
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
The Polaris (Optima) seat is space neutral to the prior seats (B/E Diamond and IPTE), i.e., same number seats in same space. The seat has not, to my knowledge, been used in a narrowbody, and I doubt they would achieve the same efficiencies.
It's space-neutral on a bulk basis, but it loses half a seat on each edge of the cabin because of the staggered layout for all-aisle access. This is more pronounced the smaller the J cabin.

I brought this up recently in re the narrowbody fleet.. do people want to be paying, say, an extra 12.5% (14J 1-1 instead of 16J 2-2) either through higher fares or fewer upgrades for the aisle access? Personally I'm not thrilled about the prospect, but others may disagree. The future is definitely going that direction.
howdy000 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I highly doubt United (or any commercial airline) would install lie-flat seats with all aisle access in a narrow-body aircraft.

By the way, while the retrofit has started, no 787-8 nor 787-9 have Polarized cabins in service just yet.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
The Premium Transcontinental flights are all on lie-flat seats, whether the high-density 777, 787-10, 757, or a 787-8/9 or international configured 777 on a positioning flight. The 737 is not used in those markets. (You will definitely see 737s on non-premium transcontinental flights, though, like SEA-IAD or SFO-MCO).
I must have been confused by the question of upgrading TO Polaris seats on transcons. The Premium Transcon service already has Polaris seats (every INTL lie-flat claims to be "Polaris" in F) so that's why I guess the question extended to other aircraft/markets.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I highly doubt United (or any commercial airline) would install lie-flat seats with all aisle access in a narrow-body aircraft.

By the way, while the retrofit has started, no 787-8 nor 787-9 have Polarized cabins in service just yet.
AA has 10 aisle access lie-flat seats on their A321T, supplemented by 2-2 J seats and 3-3 Y.

I do agree that 2-2 lie-flat seats would be sufficient on narrowbodies.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I must have been confused by the question of upgrading TO Polaris seats on transcons. The Premium Transcon service already has Polaris seats (every INTL lie-flat claims to be "Polaris" in F) so that's why I guess the question extended to other aircraft/markets.
The Polaris seat is different than the Polaris marketing that they use for their overall long-haul business class product. The Polaris seat is on the 787-10, the 777-300, and the retrofit 767s and 777s, and is differentiated primarily by direct aisle access to every seat. That was the crux of the question: will these updated seats come to the planes being used for premium transcontinental flights.

Incidentally, premium transcontinental flights, and long-haul flights to Hawaii, are not marketed as Polaris, even though they have lie-flat seats.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The Thompson VantageSolo purportedly gets close to Diamond density with a fully-flat, all-aisle-access narrowbody product. I'd bet dollars-to-donuts we see something like this on the UA 737-10 (if ever) and 321XLR.

https://www.thompsonaero.com/seating-range/vantagesolo/
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by hirohito888
AA has 10 aisle access lie-flat seats on their A321T, supplemented by 2-2 J seats and 3-3 Y.

I do agree that 2-2 lie-flat seats would be sufficient on narrowbodies.
Thanks for the correction. Totally forgot about AA's 32B F seats.

Originally Posted by EWR764
The Thompson VantageSolo purportedly gets close to Diamond density with a fully-flat, all-aisle-access narrowbody product. I'd bet dollars-to-donuts we see something like this on the UA 737-10 (if ever) and 321XLR.

Sure, but from a pure business case, 4 seats in a row > 2 seats in a row. United would go for the former (4 seats per row).
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by EWR764

Cool. Can you figure out what the space penalty would be compared to the 2-2 configuration on current 757s?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Does that mean we'll be stuck with the 2 across or 4 across business class seats for another 5 years? ...
The short answer is the 752s and high-density 77Gs are not going away soon and will be here for a while and all will be used on Premium Transcons. And there will be some Polaris style seat aircraft used on Premium Transcons. So there will be a mix for some time.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure, but from a pure business case, 4 seats in a row > 2 seats in a row. United would go for the former (4 seats per row).
It's not nearly that simple, though. The "two seats in a row" thing is mostly a mirage. There's a reason that UA's 1-2-1 seating uses the same amount of space as their old 2-4-2 seating without a drop in the number of seats: the rows overlap in the 1-2-1 arrangements, to the point where it's really a 2-4-2 with entryways cut in.

The same is true of the "1-1" seats that would be used in a "Polaris" narrowbody -- they'd actually be 2-2, but disguised.
etiene likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.