Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else find themselves RESENTING UA and how does it affect your actions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone else find themselves RESENTING UA and how does it affect your actions?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It’s a business. They’ve made choices. I’ll stay with *alliance but since UA clearly doesn’t value my 30+ years of loyalty I’ll fly them as little as possible. Sad.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
It’s a business. They’ve made choices. I’ll stay with *alliance but since UA clearly doesn’t value my 30+ years of loyalty I’ll fly them as little as possible. Sad.
Did you make million miler?
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Resentment? No. I appreciate United. Let me count the ways:

Back in the day, Gold would get you a decent good chance of an upgrade. Not now. Or, if I was in Y with my wife, we would have the two seats alone next to the window, No more 2-5-2s or 2-4-2s, and we don't want to share our space with a third.. So now we pay F. This has made me a free agent.

Being a free agent has allowed me to experience the very good international J products of Delta and American. Gee, I never flew them until I price-compared with UA and found UA way more expensive for these international trips. Now I know that their J products are really nice and I can save money too.

Back in the day, I would loyally fly UA, even if it meant taking a connection (when a competitor had a direct flight.) Screw up the FFP, so now I don't find value in UA miles. Why not try that non-stop? I learned that Alaska F is a really great way to get to ANC nonstop, rather than have to deal with a connection in SFO.

So, thank you, UA. You have brought me to your competitors.
2019, not a single UA flight aside from mileage redemptions for international J flights.
roberto99 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
I can assure you that United, and no business for that matter, cares about what you did in 1989. They only care about what you are going to do going forward. And if the new program doesn’t work for you, then United says you aren’t as important as you thought.
roberto99 and jonlibby like this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by tryathlete
Now you can fly a few hours and achieve the same or a great deal more. My customers have been quietly telling me they’re going to fly a lot more domestic flights and cut back their Asia trips because of the lack of any mileage requirement at UA.
So your customers only flew to Asia to get status on UA?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Originally Posted by cur
i pay for my own flights so i'm disappointed by the change for 2021, but resent? that's for humans not companies. i'll just adapt and find something else. or maybe get a job where the company pays. and honestly i've had some very decent flights on spirit (air crew), and priority pass suffices. sorta liberating, like getting out of a bad relationship then dating people that aren't wet cardboard. i'll probably miss the expedited bag drop but whatever.

ua has been very good to me as a 1k, and i get that with 80% not flying on ua. so i get the changes. and i am a big fan of the new upgrade system so at least they're enhancing-enhancing instead of "enhancing"

you should try to get mm. it sucks that you're 30+ elite and less than a million, i've been united elite 4 years (including 2020) and i'm at .25mm. but i imagine as 30 years elite you're over flying mass transportation.
The reality is I did a lot of short haul flying for a lot of years. I really only started doing international once I retired and there were times that UA just did not have decent fares so I opted for other carriers, often *A so I still earned miles but not BIS miles. I actually debated doing a few LAS to Asia trips just to make MM and realized the folly of it. If I did it, Kirby and his pals would decide to reduce Gold benefits to what Silver is today.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Resent? Hell no. Fly OAL. Everybody mad about the changes, recent or otherwise, oughta try it. I bet if enough people did it the tune would change real quick. But most say they can’t because “reasons.” When you always do what you’ve always done, you always get what you’ve always got.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 7:52 am

I LOVE THIS THREAD.

Its like a support group - some saying "Yeah!!!!! They are abusive and you deserve better!!!" while other say "nothing to see here, move along".

I sent UA an email when this happened - I pointed out that it would change my behavior and that I would switch airlines. I did - I fly DL and SkyTeam now. I of course got back cut and paste gibberish but the goal was to let them know that their actions had an impact. I respected UA enough at one point to at least let them know why I would leave.

Guess what? Based on the changes and my normal flight patterns I can probably do both DL and UA this year at 1k/DM level. Premium Economy fares are really enough for me to get what I need. I have three trips on SkyTeam in Q1 that generate the necessary 15k of MQDS and about 80k of MQMs to retain diamond. That gives me the rest of the year to mess with UA and see what I can get. maybe its time to check out AA and oneworld. I don't know to be honest, but I do thank UA for freeing me from my one dimensional thinking.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by 1P
For the future flights I have booked in 2020, United's discounted biz fares are running at about double what I can find for similar tickets elsewhere (e.g. DL), so have they lost my custom until that changes.
On top of having 3 GPUs expire, I began noticing the same thing in 2019 and see it in the TATL dates I am looking for in 2020. I’d have made 1K next year (I will be plat, with $13K PQD) had I taken 2 of my flights on UA instead of BA. But it would have cost me $7K more. Not worth it. And besides, I got edible food, better wines, and I like the BA lounge at IAD. Looking like more of the same in 2020.

if the purpose of a mileage program is to get people to fly your airline more, I don’t think the MileagePlus changes do that.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by BB2220
So your customers only flew to Asia to get status on UA?
Yes—they flew various airlines including UA but the program used to encouraged those long trips above others and that’s simply no longer the case with UA. It’s not hard to figure out.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by jsloan
The closest that I’ve ever come is to take advantage of a company policy that allows a traveler to pay more than the lowest-cost airfare within a small buffer. I doubt it’s ever been more than $100 per flight, and it’s usually $0 to $30. And, I frequently check luggage on business trips, so it’s a net push, at worst.

Now, I might do some extra searches to make sure that I can find a UA fare that’s in the allowable price range, but that’s it.

When frequent flyer programs were instituted, the idea was not to try to get you to spend more money to fly one particular airline — and, for the most part, it’s still not. It was to get you to select one airline out of preference to others, all of whom had similar fares.

Now, for personal travel, when I often have a choice of destinations, I’ll often let UA decide where I’m going — I search for the lowest UA fare, and either go or not. I know the Austin market well enough that I sometimes don’t bother checking the competition, as I know when a price point is likely to be beaten and when it’s not.

The things you’re describing — spending thousands of dollars extra to try to chase GS — would never occur to me even if I frequently flew internationally for business (I don’t).
That would be the same for me.

When my company told me "you can travel business international, but be reasonable", I took this last part to heart. Sometimes when I see fares TPAC all above 5K out of BOS, I swing by JFK where fares are usually less pricier (I avoid doing this during the winter for obvious reasons). It may require some inventive routing, but usually I always get 3-4k.

Did I invest more to get UA? When I was traveling int in Y, absolutely. Not a whole lot more but some, and the company let me do it so I could get a slightly better flight in E+. I traveled a lot TPAC so for me it was a real issue, and my company understood this.

In business? Very seldom, and usually mostly for routing reasons. Indeed, just getting the lowest fare makes no sense when it means, for TPAC, going through IST with a 8 hours layover in Turkey - I arrive later so I have less time for business.

But it takes some personal integrity and mutual respect. I saw others abuse the system and get reprimanded too.
jsloan and FlyingHighlander like this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by 747FC
Resentment? No. I appreciate United. Let me count the ways:

Back in the day, Gold would get you a decent good chance of an upgrade. Not now. Or, if I was in Y with my wife, we would have the two seats alone next to the window, No more 2-5-2s or 2-4-2s, and we don't want to share our space with a third.. So now we pay F. This has made me a free agent.

Being a free agent has allowed me to experience the very good international J products of Delta and American. Gee, I never flew them until I price-compared with UA and found UA way more expensive for these international trips. Now I know that their J products are really nice and I can save money too.

Back in the day, I would loyally fly UA, even if it meant taking a connection (when a competitor had a direct flight.) Screw up the FFP, so now I don't find value in UA miles. Why not try that non-stop? I learned that Alaska F is a really great way to get to ANC nonstop, rather than have to deal with a connection in SFO.

So, thank you, UA. You have brought me to your competitors.
2019, not a single UA flight aside from mileage redemptions for international J flights.
I must have been jet-lagged when I wrote this, for I failed to cite the single worst change in the UA FFP: Ceasing to release O and I inventory at 330 days out. Once they removed the ability to plan and book aspirational awards, my loyalty ceased. Again, no resentment, just changed to be a free-market advocate.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by tryathlete
Yes—they flew various airlines including UA but the program used to encouraged those long trips above others and that’s simply no longer the case with UA. It’s not hard to figure out.
Huh? Then why where they flying to Asia in the first place? Mileage runs on OPM?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:04 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by gene2632
I actually debated doing a few LAS to Asia trips just to make MM and realized the folly of it. If I did it, Kirby and his pals would decide to reduce Gold benefits to what Silver is today.
yes. this is exactly what will happen. look at one world and the change in lounge access policy
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Exactly

Originally Posted by cur
yes. this is exactly what will happen. look at one world and the change in lounge access policy
Since I have a CC with Priority Pass Lounge Access I find I don't need the MM benefit of club access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.