Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unable to check-in online due to document check, how does that impact upgrade chance?

Unable to check-in online due to document check, how does that impact upgrade chance?

Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Silver, Hilton Diamond

I attempted to check in today using the UA mobile app, after the app notified me it was time to check in for an international itinerary that includes two O/W flights tomorrow. For my flight, the app said, "Documents needed: scan documents or proceed to airport" and provided a "Scan document" icon, in addition to "Trip details" and "Trip options" icons. I clicked the "Scan document" icon, and was led through the process of confirming my passport information, confirming seat selection, confirming no prohibited items, and confirming checked baggage. At the end of that process, the app indicated I couldn't be checked in, and a boarding pass couldn't be issued, because additional documentation was required; but it did not indicate what documentation was required. At first, I suspected I was selected for secondary screening; but then I noticed an option to email me a copy of my boarding pass, and I selected it. I then received an email that indicated, "Based on the documentation provided, you must present proof of a return ticket or onward travel at the airport before a boarding pass can be issued."

I have proof of onward travel; but despite the app asking me to "scan documents or proceed to airport," I did not see anywhere in the app to scan proof of onward travel. I called the Premier Priority Desk and explained the situation, and they transferred me to the help desk for their website. The person I spoke with there told me they only support the website and don't support the mobile app; so I logged into the website, and tried to check in there. I was also unable to check in via the website. The person I was speaking with knew about scanning passports, but did not know of any way to scan proof of onward travel. He further indicated UA does not offer support for the mobile app via phone. He stated my only option appeared to be to provide the documentation at the airport before departure. Since this will delay my check in time, I asked if check in time will affect the order of the upgrade standby list. He confirmed that it would but was unable to offer any solution, other than an apology.

I'm sharing this experience because PAX should be aware that if you book an international O/W itinerary with UA, even if you possess required proof of onward travel, UA may penalize you by not allowing you to check in using the mobile app or website in advance, and forcing you to wait until the airport to provide the documentation, affecting your priority on the upgrade standby list and reducing your chances of an upgrade.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PaxSicagia
I'm sharing this experience because PAX should be aware that if you book an international O/W itinerary with UA, even if you possess required proof of onward travel, UA may penalize you by not allowing you to check in using the mobile app or website in advance, and forcing you to wait until the airport to provide the documentation, affecting your priority on the upgrade standby list and reducing your chances of an upgrade.
Not as bad as you might think.

UA processes upgrades in two different ways.
There is there pre-gate upgrade process (previously called invisible). This list is active and used until an hour or two prior to departure. Your check-in status is not a factor. So no penalty there

The gate list is not used until check-in has closed and generally processed after boarding has started. This list does use check-in time but you must be checked in before the list is used or you will be offloaded. So you will have time to check-in before the list is used.

Now there is some uncertainty on a failed online check-in and your place on the list. The last factor is the time of check-in - status, fare class and perhaps some other factors are more important. So a late check-in might have a minor impact. However, there have been some reports that the time / sequence number for the earlier try is actually used, so no impact. So it is either a minor or no impact.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Not sure how the UA app or the website can verify the validity of onward travel. I am not aware of any other airline's app or website can do so.

I just traveled on an one-way ticket from Asia back to the US on another airline, and couldn't check-in online, on the app, airport kiosk. Human involvement would still be required with certain scenarios.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

there are likely multiple factors involved, and multiple reasons why online check in might fail. And likely not as black and white as you make it out to be.

Case in point: I frequently book travel to Canada on one way tickets. And have rarely had problems checking in in either direction. Sure, my ‘return’ ticket on a separate itinerary is almost always also UA, but I highly doubt One ticket purchase is connected to the other in order to see it. Saying an international O/W will always block checkin is just not correct.

there are also other items that can potentially cause check in to fail. Visas are a big one. My understanding is the UA app can scan a visa for China, but haven’t heard successful reports of other countries visas being scanned into the app to allow checkin - you get the same thing. I travel to India enough, and there is no way to scan an India travel doc into the system, so no matter what, you can not complete checkin online. Even though I have an OCI which is essentially a lifetime visa - I still need to show up at the airport to show it to them before I can get BPs.

try and relax a bit - just show up at the airport and have proof of your oneward ticket, and you’ll be just fine.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not as bad as you might think.
I agree with your assessment. There is a possibility of a minor impact in some cases. Even though minor, I still think it good PAX be aware and able to make informed choices.

UA processes upgrades in two different ways. There is there pre-gate upgrade process (previously called invisible). This list is active and used until an hour or two prior to departure. Your check-in status is not a factor. So no penalty there
There's a Wikipost that explains this. It refers to these two lists as the "upgrade waitlist" and the "upgrade standby list." I stated priority on the upgrade standby list may be affected, rather than the upgrade waitlist; but perhaps I should have been more clear. Apologies.

The gate list is not used until check-in has closed and generally processed after boarding has started. This list does use check-in time but you must be checked in before the list is used or you will be offloaded. So you will have time to check-in before the list is used.
I think we have the same understanding here. When this "gate list" or "upgrade standby list" is used, check in time is a factor; and when one is forced to check in at the airport, they will be at a disadvantage, even if only a minor disadvantage, because check in time is the final factor, and it's likely others will have already checked in using the app or online.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Not sure how the UA app or the website can verify the validity of onward travel. I am not aware of any other airline's app or website can do so.
Can it verify the validity of onward travel when on a RT itinerary or separate O/W tickets booked via UA? What about flights operated by partner airlines?

Even if UA can find no automated solution, they could provide a method to upload or send the required information for manual review in the same way an employee at the airport will be required to do. Failing that, UA could recognize this limitation and stop using check in time as a factor for the upgrade standby list. There are additional options beyond this; but UA may not have sufficient motivation to implement any of them, because I suspect UA prefers that people book RT itineraries with them, rather than O/W itineraries.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I just traveled on an one-way ticket from Asia back to the US on another airline, and couldn't check-in online, on the app, airport kiosk. Human involvement would still be required with certain scenarios.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
there are likely multiple factors involved, and multiple reasons why online check in might fail.
No disagreement here. There are certainly multiple factors involved. You are correct that online check in can fail for multiple reasons. Many of these reasons don't even involve proof of onward travel; however, in this particular case, I was advised that the reason is proof of onward travel is required.

Case in point: I frequently book travel to Canada on one way tickets. And have rarely had problems checking in in either direction. Sure, my ‘return’ ticket on a separate itinerary is almost always also UA, but I highly doubt One ticket purchase is connected to the other in order to see it. Saying an international O/W will always block checkin is just not correct.
I didn't claim an international O/W will always block check in. Specifically, I wrote, "...if you book an international O/W itinerary with UA, even if you possess required proof of onward travel, UA may penalize you by not allowing you to check in using the mobile app or website in advance..."

try and relax a bit - just show up at the airport and have proof of your oneward ticket, and you’ll be just fine.
Thank you. I'm well aware I'll be fine. That doesn't change the validity of the information I shared.

Last edited by PaxSicagia; Dec 12, 2019 at 7:10 pm Reason: fixing quotes
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Even if UA can find no automated solution, they could provide a method to upload or send the required information for manual review in the same way an employee at the airport will be required to do. Failing that, UA could recognize this limitation and stop using check in time as a factor for the upgrade standby list. ....
Suspect the intersection of this is so small and the impact so small, UA may not considered it an issue needing investment.

Considering the number of issues presently with the upgrade / waitlist process, there are bigger fish for UA to fry.
Upgrade list showing before T-24? (new display??)
Aero vs Shares Upgrade Waitlist order issues since PlusPoints changeover
ROCUAflyer, jsloan and PaxSicagia like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I agree with this. If you haven't been upgraded by T-24, you probably have a low chance, and when you check in at the airport with your documentation you should be positioned on the list based on status, fare, etc giving you a chance. No biggie.

Suspect the intersection of this is so small and the impact so small, UA may not considered it an issue needing investment.
Agreed also.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Had this happen once (though not on a one-way ticket) leaving Melbourne. I was angry that I was not able to check in online and was sure that I was going to end up deep into the upgrade list (there was one seat left). Much to my surprise, when I checked in at the airport at about T-2 hours, I was at the top of the list, which was about 20 people deep -- ended up getting the seat... I've really stopped trying to guess where I'll end up.
PaxSicagia likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The OP can already see where he or she lies on the UG list based on the other thread. Hard to tell though, since he/she cites international, if they mean something like ORD-DEN-YVR (where Silver CPUs apply) or if it's ORD-FRA-ZRH where only PlusPoints/MUA apply.

I think this is a fair nuance to point out. Defer comment on worthiness of a new thread versus "unable to perform OLCI'. thread.
PaxSicagia likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by aacharya
No longer tracking CPU %. It got too depressing..
So true.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I had the same thing happen to me going both ways when I went to Europe last month. My GPU processed about T-24 on my outbound leg but I couldn't check in online or via the app no matter what I did. On the return leg, my GPU never did process (but I expected that when I saw the J seats diminishing during the week prior to travel) and I was unable to check in via website or app. I was somewhat annoyed that it wouldn't let me check in and wouldn't tell me why but it really didn't matter much since I still had my E+ seats selected.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
I am never able to check in for Roatan (Honduras) even with a R/T ticket purchased on UA. They need to verify that the return is within the 3-month stay requirement. So UA can't see the return leg in the ticket and calculate the length of stay. I always thought this impacted my place on the upgrade list and am happy to read that it may not have as big an impact as I suspected.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:14 am

Does order of checkin affect chance of getting an upgrade?

Trying to cash in some Plus Points for an upgrade to Polaris. Currently there are 9 open seats, and I show as #2 on the upgrade list (with plenty of people after me though). However, I can't check in to my flight because it's international and my destination requires a visa (at least, that's what I assume is going on--all I know is, whenever I fly to this particular country, which I do every month, I can't check in until I get to the airport). Will checking in only an hour or so before my flight hurt my upgrade chances, or does it make no difference?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
It's the 3rd tiebreaker after status and fare class. Well fare class is first if in PP already.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:29 am

Hmmm. I'm in E+ now. V class. 1K member. Would really like one of those seats! Coming off one red-eye and getting on another. Route is IAD to FRA. Make a wish for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.