Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buying Individual Bulk Fares Directly from United / United Vacations

Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus

Being interested in trans-ocean business class travel I have noticed that if one goes to the United website and prices airfare + hotel one can get some all premium air travel with a hotel included for less than just the equivalent class airfare. However, on the air plus hotel the business and/or first class air is described as "bulk" which may impact elite qualifying. Have others found this a useful way to book premium travel, or is the discount from just regular airfare not enough to make it worthwhile for many to use?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just to be clear, these bundled purchases (from on the UA site) are via a third party travel agent (United Vacations), and yes you can get some decent bulk airfare prices. Some have done this booking just one night of lodging and skipping the lodging. Just remember the potential issues of bulk fare -- restricted fare rules especially on changes or refunds, occasionally not upgradeable, .... but with a good understanding of the pros/cons, these can be an attractive deal.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Since bulk fares will start earning PQP in 2020 this will be much less of a concern. I found the restrictions and issues to be minimal with bulk fares, but one has to be aware of any limitations ... including running into things like limited SDC options at times.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BULK fares cannot be purchased directly from UA (unless you are a TA or consolidator purchasing in bulk). One of the savings to UA is that it does not deal with the customer service aspects of servicing the ticket (other than in IRROPS), but rather kicks those issues to the TA issuing the ticket, in this case United Vacations.

There are many consolidators out there who offer deeply discounted tickets. Presuming that you have done the due diligence to assure that you are not dealing with a fraud, you can save a great deal of money. Often more than you can save by booking through UV.

But, the key consideration is that these tickets are most often fully inflexible. E.g., if you do not fly the ticket as issued, you lose its entire value; no change fees and other bells & whistles. Other tickets may be changeable, but you pay the TA whatever fee it charges over UA's own fee. This does not make the ticket a bad value as decent travel insurance for the concerns one might have will mitigate that risk. Just make sure that you carefully review the travel insurance to be certain you are covered.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Often1; Dec 12, 2019 at 7:14 pm
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
So, bulk fares seem to get PQP, but I can't find anything about earning PQF. Has any had any experience with PQF and United Vacation bulk fares? (The only thing I can clearly find is that Basic Economy does not receive PQF.)
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gayste
So, bulk fares seem to get PQP, but I can't find anything about earning PQF. Has any had any experience with PQF and United Vacation bulk fares? (The only thing I can clearly find is that Basic Economy does not receive PQF.)
You should get the PQF as usual
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:15 am

I'm looking at United Vacations now. I can get rt flight IAH-EDI and Car for less than usual BE flight only, like $200 less. My concern is I see absolutely nowhere what baggage is or is not included (carry-on or checked) My only clue is some of the options say ECONOMY FLEXIBLE and others say nothing. Is there anyway to figure out if any checked bags are included?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bradleykhofmann
I'm looking at United Vacations now. I can get rt flight IAH-EDI and Car for less than usual BE flight only, like $200 less. My concern is I see absolutely nowhere what baggage is or is not included (carry-on or checked) My only clue is some of the options say ECONOMY FLEXIBLE and others say nothing. Is there anyway to figure out if any checked bags are included?
According to the checked bag calculator, even a non-MP member should get 1 bag for IAH-EDI, as long as its not a BE fare. Anyone with UA status should get a second bag free, and the weight limit for both gets increased to 70 lbs from 50. The economy flexible indicates this shouldnt be a basic fare, so anyone should get 1 free 50 lb. bag.

Does UA Vacations offer no risk cancelation within 24 hours? If so, you can always book, look at the bag allowance on the receipt or on UA.com, and then cancel if it doesnt meet your needs.

Bulk fares can be (but arent always) highly discounted below published fares. There are certainly disadvantages of them (check change/cancel policies very carefully before buying so you know what those are if needed), but if everything meets your needs, and the fare is good, and you understand what mileage youll get if that is important to you, then by all means, just purchase.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Does UA Vacations offer no risk cancelation within 24 hours?
Does any one have any first-hand experience to report? Their website is clunky, grossly out of date, and they basically don't answer the phone. I see no mention of a 24 hour cancelation policy
Old Jun 2, 2021, 11:30 pm

Anyone know where I can reliably book united bulk fares?
Flying Machine and oopl like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by poohfighter
Anyone know where I can reliably book united bulk fares?
I have found fareboom to be reliable. When you create an account they sometimes show you fares that are not shown to the general search public and e.g. Skyscanner. Booked some nice UA bulk fares there recently.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
I have found fareboom to be reliable. When you create an account they sometimes show you fares that are not shown to the general search public and e.g. Skyscanner. Booked some nice UA bulk fares there recently.
Are the fares shown as 'bulk' in some way?
Old Jun 20, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Interesting, Ill take a look at them. Just trying to get into the BULK fares for PQPs did you buy business class? What destinations were you interested in?

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jun 20, 2021 at 3:21 pm
Old Jun 20, 2021, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Interesting, Ill take a look at them. Just trying to get into the BULK fares for PQPs did you buy business class? What destinations were you interested in?
I last bought AC bulk P-class for early 2020 flights at about 20% off regular. Bought UA K-class from them for my flight this week (booked last year) at 30% off and used +Ps to upgrade to business at booking. The latter only showed when I logged into my account.

So far ... no issues.
Flying Machine and EWAarghhh like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I last bought AC bulk P-class for early 2020 flights at about 20% off regular. Bought UA K-class from them for my flight this week (booked last year) at 30% off and used +Ps to upgrade to business at booking. The latter only showed when I logged into my account.

So far ... no issues.
Thanks for the update! I looked at the site and put in a few sample itineraries. Theyre running about 10% less for P fares to Argentina, Im going to look for my Spain itinerary next. If Im understanding correctly you were able to upgrade. However from their site its very difficult to determine if a ticket will be sold as BULK. Any further assistance would be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.