Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buying Individual Bulk Fares Directly from United / United Vacations

Buying Individual Bulk Fares Directly from United / United Vacations

Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UV does use BULK fares. Hence the question does UA show a fare for the flight portion. Calling also can answer.

Is this EWR-SJC?
is the one way flight mileage about 2,400 miles?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UV does use BULK fares. Hence the question does UA show a fare for the flight portion. Calling also can answer.

Is this EWR-SJC?
is the one way flight mileage about 2,400 miles?
Who should I call -- UA or UV?
The trip is SFO-CUN, about 2,400 miles.

Originally Posted by Micp3208
Check your United Vacations reservation. It will say Published or Bulk, both show P, Z, etc, so you cannot use that as your guide.
You are right, UV has this information, says bulk fare. How are PQP for bulk fares computed?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 7, 2021 at 12:08 am Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 7, 2021, 12:06 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FreFly
Who should I call -- UA or UV? ...
either -- just want to know if BULK and if not the actually fare.

The trip is SFO-CUN, about 2,400 miles.
Guessed the wrong coast

2,407 * 0.30 (P Bulk Fare) * 2 == 1,445 PQPs (used GCMAP SFO-CUN mileage , if UA uses 2,410 you would get 1,446)
Old Oct 7, 2021, 12:32 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
2,407 * 0.30 (P Bulk Fare) * 2 == 1,445 PQPs (used GCMAP SFO-CUN mileage , if UA uses 2,410 you would get 1,446)
Thank you!
I am curious, where did you get the 0.30(P Bulk Fare) from? You must be right, as United.com has your second number (1,446 PQP). If 1,446 is the right number, I want to make sure this is what I will get, as this will get me to 1K with no trips beyond what I am already planning.
What confuses me is that if I were to book a regular P fare on United.com right now, I will get fewer PQPs. I just looked it up, I would get less than 800 PQPs.

EDIT: I figured it out using this page and this one. The formula is: award miles earned divided by 5. Award miles for P class include a 50% bonus. So 1.5 / 5 = 0.3, which is exactly what you have.

Last edited by FreFly; Oct 7, 2021 at 9:58 am Reason: Additional info added
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:12 am

... What confuses me is that if I were to book a regular P fare on United.com right now, I will get fewer PQPs. I just looked it up, I would get less than 800 PQPs. ....
It is a quirk of the alternative mileage-based PQP formula (for partners on non-016 tickets and BULK fares) -- it tends to be better for P fares or Premium Economy but worst for discount economy and other premium cabin fares.
See discussion of this in Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
FreFly likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
WCU,
Is there a difference between bulk Tixs issued by consolidators & a tix issued as part of a tour hotel& car? Are all Tixs issued as part of the tour eligible to receive PQP? How does UA MP calculate the PQP for that tix if it is one of Tour component and there is fare on the tix? Thank you WCU
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Is there a difference between bulk Tixs issued by consolidators & a tix issued as part of a tour hotel& car? ...
Beyond my expertise, but BULK tickets, non-public fares where the price charged to the traveller is unknown by UA, can be available from either.

Are all Tixs issued as part of the tour eligible to receive PQP? ..
All? -- probably not. Have heard of non-mileage earning tickets, so best to ask before purchasing. (I suspect most are but ... ask)

How does UA MP calculate the PQP for that tix if it is one of Tour components and there is fare on the tix? ...
If a ticket is considered BULK, earnings are based on distance and fare case, just like partner flights on non-016 tickets. See the link earlier in this thread for details.
If the tour operater uses standard published fare tickets, then UA knows the fare and will calculate PQPs the standard. If you want to know prior to purchase, you need to ask if BULK tickets will be used.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Thank you WCU!!.
You have confirmed what I I assumed.
Tixs issued as part of a tour package not all may be eligible to receive PQP.
I recall reading awhile ago on UA MP site there was a note that Tixs part of a Tour may not be eligible.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hi there, when you select your flight you will see Bulk or Published as a the fare type on the United Vacations website. ....
I've been playing around with the website, but still cannot see anywhere in the United Vacations booking tool that confirms a fare is published or bulk prior to purchase - and without a 24hr free cancel to book and see how the PQP show up on the confirmation, I wouldn't risk it without being certain what the fare is before purchase.

Any recent insight into this?
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:36 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I've been playing around with the website, but still cannot see anywhere in the United Vacations booking tool that confirms a fare is published or bulk prior to purchase - and without a 24hr free cancel to book and see how the PQP show up on the confirmation, I wouldn't risk it without being certain what the fare is before purchase.

Any recent insight into this?
When I searched a while back it clearly shows which tickets were bulk or not. So I came to the conclusion if it says bulk it’s good to go, If not stay away from that flight
Old Oct 15, 2021, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
It seems like there was a recent change to the way flights are displayed and you cannot click on the flight number in the selection screen. However, if you make it to the checkout screen, you can find it there. Click on the flight number and a pop up appears which will list the flight number followed by the fare type (Bulk or Published).

Good luck!
Old Oct 15, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It seems like there was a recent change to the way flights are displayed and you cannot click on the flight number in the selection screen. However, if you make it to the checkout screen, you can find it there. Click on the flight number and a pop up appears which will list the flight number followed by the fare type (Bulk or Published).

Good luck!
Thank you! I confirmed this works.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 7:09 pm

Has anyone bought a ticket package from United Vacations and then loaded their flight reservation into United.com and the mileage earning amount (for a bulk ticket) shows "0"?

This is actually my first bulk ticket purchase through this channel and I got a pretty decent deal for Bogota at $800 for first class, 2 nights hotel and 2,100 PQP which puts me 50% towards closing my 2021 gap - but I can't find a receipt or fare rules and want to make sure they didn't issue some special form of bulk fare that is ineligible for mileage vs a website glitch not showing the correct accruals.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Has anyone bought a ticket package from United Vacations and then loaded their flight reservation into United.com and the mileage earning amount (for a bulk ticket) shows "0"?

This is actually my first bulk ticket purchase through this channel and I got a pretty decent deal for Bogota at $800 for first class, 2 nights hotel and 2,100 PQP which puts me 50% towards closing my 2021 gap - but I can't find a receipt or fare rules and want to make sure they didn't issue some special form of bulk fare that is ineligible for mileage vs a website glitch not showing the correct accruals.
I have had bulk tickets show zero or twice or 4 times what was correct ... in the end it all credited correctly
bocastephen likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
I have had bulk tickets show zero or twice or 4 times what was correct ... in the end it all credited correctly
The ticket was just issued and now it shows the correct amount - 18000 reward miles and 2160 PQP, so I guess it needs to issue first before doing the calculation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.