Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade waitlist / display / clearing issues since PlusPoints changeover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade waitlist / display / clearing issues since PlusPoints changeover

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
as customers, we're currently paying the price.
Unless we had already decided to shift our spend elsewhere

Seriously though this is a major cluster and of course there's no communication at all from UA. Remember how active UA Insider was when PP were first announced?
jsloan and ezefllying like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by villox
Yes, but I do wonder what implications it has for waitlist priority. Will you not be upgraded until you accept the schedule change? Could others be upgraded ahead of you?

All the more reason to diligently watch reservations I guess (and still incredibly frustrating how inconsistent United is in notifying about schedule changes).
From having seen the record history of one of my reservations, I have pretty high confidence that the time of request is still attached after everything is synced with a schedule change, so priority should not be affected. But yes, I do believe you will not be upgraded until it is re-synced, and in that time if inventory opens others could be upgraded.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
I suspect I’m in the same boat as a lot of commenters above. I’m flying HNL-DEN-BWI in about 18 hours, using an RPU (err, I mean, 20 PlusPoints) for the trip.

Last night, PZ space on the HNL-DEN segment opened up, so I called in and got it confirmed. However, there’s one one F seat left on DEN-BWI, and no PZ.

As it stands, I, a 1K on a K fare but using an instrument, am number 9 of 28 on the upgrade list, which appears to show all eligible, not just checked-in, passengers. This is a Saturday-morning flight to a non-hub, leisure-heavy airport. I could imagine being #9 of 28 if I weren’t using an instrument, but I’m having a really hard time believing that a third of all possible upgraders on a Saturday DEN-BWI outrank a 1K using the equivalent of an RPU.

I’ll ask the GA at HNL if s/he can take a look at the DEN-BWI list, just to confirm whether everyone ahead of me is using PlusPoints. I’ll ask the same in DEN. But I suspect the agents won’t have the time or desire to investigate that at the gate, and so I’m expecting to get passed over even if there are 1-2 F seats available.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ezefllying
I suspect the agents won’t have the time or desire to investigate that at the gate, and so I’m expecting to get passed over even if there are 1-2 F seats available.
You already got your Christmas miracle clearing DEN-HNL in advance!

Honestly 9/28 on a K fare wouldn't shock me. This weekend is one of the heaviest travel weekends of the year, and everyone's burning their expiring points.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ezefllying
I suspect I’m in the same boat as a lot of commenters above. I’m flying HNL-DEN-BWI in about 18 hours, using an RPU (err, I mean, 20 PlusPoints) for the trip.

Last night, PZ space on the HNL-DEN segment opened up, so I called in and got it confirmed. However, there’s one one F seat left on DEN-BWI, and no PZ.

As it stands, I, a 1K on a K fare but using an instrument, am number 9 of 28 on the upgrade list, which appears to show all eligible, not just checked-in, passengers. This is a Saturday-morning flight to a non-hub, leisure-heavy airport. I could imagine being #9 of 28 if I weren’t using an instrument, but I’m having a really hard time believing that a third of all possible upgraders on a Saturday DEN-BWI outrank a 1K using the equivalent of an RPU.

I’ll ask the GA at HNL if s/he can take a look at the DEN-BWI list, just to confirm whether everyone ahead of me is using PlusPoints. I’ll ask the same in DEN. But I suspect the agents won’t have the time or desire to investigate that at the gate, and so I’m expecting to get passed over even if there are 1-2 F seats available.
I'd check to see if you're really waitlisted with PPs and not simply CPU-eligible. There have been many of these goof-ups happening.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Almost certainly not related to any errors (yet) but I am feeling heading in this direction too. Flight is in five days, 1 (+2 blocked)/12 up front and 3 assigned in E+, with n PZ space...
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am WL on a domestic segment connecting to an overseas flight using 40 PPs; Domestic shoes CPU waitlisting AND "PN" waitlsting.
I am concerned that upon checkin I might end as CPU down below other instrument supported upgrades.
Any feedback how to fix that would be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:35 pm

Points Plus Spitting Myself and Companion Same PNR, Status and Fare

Prior to the Points Plus system coming in to being, when an upgrade was requested, Ms. and I were always sequentially listed on the upgrade list given our status etc. Since then, when check in time comes we are separated. Meaning I am (#1 for example) and she drops down significantly to another position despite the fact we bought the same fare (same PNR remember), same status (1K) and, obviously requested the upgrade and checked in at the same time.

Any ideas?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by mgateley
Prior to the Points Plus system coming in to being, when an upgrade was requested, Ms. and I were always sequentially listed on the upgrade list given our status etc. Since then, when check in time comes we are separated. Meaning I am (#1 for example) and she drops down significantly to another position despite the fact we bought the same fare (same PNR remember), same status (1K) and, obviously requested the upgrade and checked in at the same time.

Any ideas?
Most likely, the upgrade request only carried over to one person at check-in. A long call to UA will get it fixed (with help from a supervisor).
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:05 pm

I would say you are correct, but this has happened numerous times indicating to me another systemic glitch.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This is the second report of companions not being prioritized correctly since the switch to PlusPoints, so I would believe they broke something.
jsloan, Kacee and AceReport like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Numerous recently reported issues with the waitlist process. In this case, it sounds like the request wasadded as PZ (non-GS) waitlisting, you will probably need the sponsor to call GS Desk and get it corrected.
Just my luck. Our friend is on a safari with 0 cell coverage for another 2/3 weeks. Looks like I'm going to have to sort this on my own.....somehow. Flying out of SFO in 2 days anyways back to LA, I might try the Premier Access desk airside to see if they can do anything? I certainly can't stroll over to Global Reception and ask them for any help Lady on the phone insisted that dad was added back as a PN upgrade, but this is impossible for him to be below me. We are on same fare class on same PN upgrade (allegedly) but he has one level status higher than me so he should not be #10 while I'm sitting at #2 . I suspect everyone between me and my dad are 1Ks on 1K upgrades.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
I must say I've never been more confused about the upgrade system .. in over 25 years as an MP member and over 1.25M BIS miles on UA metal. Flying with wife (also 1K via MM) and 2 kids GMs tomorrow to the Caribbean. Booked as two itineraries, one adult + one child each, H fare. Applied PP upgrades to all 4; got waitlisted. All 4 were shown on the upgrade list prior to check-in below a family of 5, with 11 seats J open on the flight (9/20 booked). After check-in, the itineraries got split, and my wife and I disappeared from the upgrade list, while kids remained right behind the family of 5. Fast forward to tonight: 5 people cleared ahead of us (strange, but possible, I suppose), but only 2 from the family of 5 that was shown earlier! The other 3 members of that family are not on the list anymore. An hour later, both my kids get cleared. My name re-appeared on the list, but below someone else. My wife is still nowhere to be seen. Our reservations no longer show "Waitlisted" for this segment, and I'm being offered $199 TOD upgrade.

How can it be so messed up? I mean, the system wasn't perfect, but it mostly worked and for the most part, we knew what to expect.

ETA: Solved the problem by a) undoing check-in for myself and my wife; b) canceling PP upgrade for the segment by going to My Trips | View All | PlusPoints Upgrades; and c) re-applying PlusPoints upgrades. Now both of us at the top of the list .. with only 3 seats remaining. So fingers crossed.

it seems that PP upgrades got "disconnected" from the reservation during check-in and PNR split.
margarita girl likes this.

Last edited by legalalien; Dec 19, 2019 at 9:45 pm Reason: Additional information
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Another interesting one today. 7 people on the upgrade list, but the order of them changed at least once. Didn't help anyone on a completely full flight though.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Applied rpu that changed to plus points. PZ 0 so wait-listed for wife and son. Keep checking back as one does and today I see PZ 4 but they are both still wait-listed. Called 1K line for a manual upgrade with no issue. Of course the 1K agent kept saying how surprising it was the system didn't clear them automatically. I of course kept biting my tongue... 🙄
Halo117 and JimInOhio like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.