Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade waitlist / display / clearing issues since PlusPoints changeover

Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade waitlist / display / clearing issues since PlusPoints changeover

Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Checked in yesterday for IAD-ZRH. I have Plus Points applied on the waitlist for both me and my wife.

When I checked in, there was not opportunity/ requirement to allow a split pnr. This is a first for me. Usually I have to add her and check the box that splitting is OK.

Is this generally new or is it specific to Plus Points or should I call and have them split the pnr proactively.

We are 1 and 2 on both the Premium Economy list and the Business list. There is one open seat in each as of now.

edit: actually called. I have an LX flight on the pnr. They say that that is probably what stopped the split pnr request. Splitting the pnr would mess up the second flight.

I will chat with the gate agent if there are any seats at boarding.

Last edited by pretzlaff; Sep 19, 2022 at 6:32 am
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:38 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pretzlaff
Checked in yesterday for IAD-ZRH. I have Plus Points applied on the waitlist for both me and my wife.

When I checked in, there was not opportunity/ requirement to allow a split pnr. This is a first for me. Usually I have to add her and check the box that splitting is OK.

Is this generally new or is it specific to Plus Points or should I call and have them split the pnr proactively.

We are 1 and 2 on both the Premium Economy list and the Business list. There is one open seat in each as of now.
Polaris cabin is full now according to the flight status on website. But App shows two seats with one blocked. Expert mode also shows 1 seat for sale. So, I believe that there is one seat available.
It is difficult to predict whether or not the current state will remain for next 8 hours. Buyup could take both PP and/or Polaris seats away from you. Because there is only one seat available in each cabin, only the gate agent will clear the upgrade list. So, you won't be skipped over. If you split, there is a chance that one of you slips on the waitlist unless both of you have the same status.
Good luck.
pretzlaff likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I have 30 PlusPoints applied for a Premium Economy -> business upgrade CDG-ORD tomorrow and am wait listed. I'm also checked in, but do not appear on the upgrade list. I called in and the agent said something about my pluspoints are pending and there was nothing they could do.

Is this a display glitch? Something else? Original ticket was purchased in Y and I paid cash to upgrade to O if that might matter.

It looks like the top people on the J list are also on the O list so I should be #1 on the J list were I actually listed....

Last edited by raehl311; Sep 19, 2022 at 6:52 am
Old Sep 19, 2022, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by raehl311
I have 30 PlusPoints applied for a Premium Economy -> business upgrade CDG-ORD tomorrow and am wait listed. I'm also checked in, but do not appear on the upgrade list. I called in and the agent said something about my pluspoints are pending and there was nothing they could do.

Is this a display glitch? Something else? Original ticket was purchased in Y and I paid cash to upgrade to O if that might matter.

It looks like the top people on the J list are also on the O list so I should be #1 on the J list were I actually listed....
Call again and ask agent to re-apply PPs if this can fix the problem. You may need to ask agent to check support/supervisor for fixing this problem. If you are not on the list, you won’t get upgrade. I do not believe the theory of an invisible list.
Good luck!
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Instrument upgrades have never had that box and will always split automatically.

edit: actually called. I have an LX flight on the pnr. They say that that is probably what stopped the split pnr request. Splitting the pnr would mess up the second flight.
Nonsense. Splitting the PNR would not mess up the second flight. Typical MOLA. It sounds like what's happening is that they've got the code working again so that it only splits if you clear.

With only one available in each, I wouldn't get my hopes up. UA's very good at selling them.

I'm not really sure that applying PlusPoints is supposed to be allowed after a cash buy-up, although I don't dispute that it works. (I really, really doubt that you have an O ticket).

As for your position on the list -- it's not reliably true that you'd be ahead of anyone who was on both lists, because anyone on a GS instrument will have priority over you even if they're seated in coach. However, in this instance I suspect you may be right. However, with only two seats available, there's a good chance they'll sell them. :/
pretzlaff likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 10:16 am

Set expectation very, very low

Originally Posted by jsloan
With only one available in each, I wouldn't get my hopes up. UA's very good at selling them.
However, with only two seats available, there's a good chance they'll sell them. :/
Expectation has been properly set TWICE!
OP, set your expectation low and prepare to be nicely surprised if the upgrade is cleared.
Cheers!
jsloan and pretzlaff like this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm not really sure that applying PlusPoints is supposed to be allowed after a cash buy-up, although I don't dispute that it works. (I really, really doubt that you have an O ticket).

As for your position on the list -- it's not reliably true that you'd be ahead of anyone who was on both lists, because anyone on a GS instrument will have priority over you even if they're seated in coach. However, in this instance I suspect you may be right. However, with only two seats available, there's a good chance they'll sell them. :/
So before trying to call again and wade through front line / supervisors, I just went back to the website and requested the upgrade again (I know the first one went through as the previous agent said it was pending and it showed the points as requested), and after just requesting the upgrade again on the website, boom, seconds later, #1 on the upgrade list.

So if anyone finds themselves in the position of having requested the upgrade, but not seeing themselves on the list, just go request it again and hopefully it fixes itself!

Now just have to hope everyone else on tomorrow's flight is too cheap to pay.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 12:10 pm

So if anyone finds themselves in the position of having requested the upgrade, but not seeing themselves on the list, just go request it again and hopefully it fixes itself!
Once the PP upgrade has been properly requested, there is no option that one can re-apply them to the same flight.
I guess that agent did something to the original upgrade request, which allowed you to re-apply. In other words, I do not believe that the PP request system is so broken.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner

a quick update.

got to the gate about 10 minutes before boarding started. Business showed 2 available seats for about 4 hours. Went up to the GA and asked if there was any love for 1 and 2 on the list. She said sure and gave the seats to us.

A very good outcome for something with such a low probability to start with.

This was on a W fare, so we were very lucky. And, we got to burn some plus points!
jsloan, SPN Lifer, RobOnLI and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 3:44 pm

a quick update.

got to the gate about 10 minutes before boarding started. Business showed 2 available seats for about 4 hours. Went up to the GA and asked if there was any love for 1 and 2 on the list. She said sure and gave the seats to us.

A very good outcome for something with such a low probability to start with.

This was on a W fare, so we were very lucky. And, we got to burn some plus points!
Congratulations!
We set your expectation adequately😀
BTW, what happened to the other name (yours or MRs.)?
Old Sep 19, 2022, 3:50 pm

Funny. My name is not listed as upgraded. She said that she had to “force” it. So myabe something was wrong. We both got upgraded.

thanks everyone for your advice.
Kmxu likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Once the PP upgrade has been properly requested, there is no option that one can re-apply them to the same flight.
I guess that agent did something to the original upgrade request, which allowed you to re-apply. In other words, I do not believe that the PP request system is so broken.
It is that messed up....

Before I even called I had looked to see if I could upgrade with pluspoints and the option was there, so maybe that's the thing... if you apply PP, and then go back and can do it again, it didn't go the first time so try again.

I didn't check if I still had the option after I was showing on the list.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Bought a ticket last night and waitlisted for the return with PPs. This morning I changed the outbound, not the return. Now I see the following:
United.com does not show the return flight waitlisted and does not show any PPs waitlisted
United mobile app does show the flight waitlisted for an upgrade using PPs
Lufthansa.com (several LX/LH segments on this ticket) also shows the return flight waitlisted

So who is right? Either way sounds like I will need to call the 1K line and have them remove and re-add my request.

-RM
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:30 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
I am waiting for upgrade on a SFO-HNL 777-300 flight, the flight status shows capacity 60 and booked 57. Presumably this means 3 seats left.
However, UA is selling J9 (seat map shows 12 open J). There is a PE cabin but it is treated as Y. Namely, a two-class only flight.
Why J9? Or why only 3 seats left in flight status?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.