Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade waitlist / display / clearing issues since PlusPoints changeover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade waitlist / display / clearing issues since PlusPoints changeover

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: 1K
Watching the UL yesterday as I was #2 with 11/12 booked and #1 one got upgraded to 8D on an A320. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kmxu likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by zdog2x
Watching the UL yesterday as I was #2 with 11/12 booked and #1 one got upgraded to 8D on an A320. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My friend and his wife sit on 8B and 8C of B757, respectively. The UA algorithm probably treats row 8 as FC/Business seats in narrow body as in wide body. 😂
Old May 17, 2022, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zdog2x
Assuming #1 didn't simply decline, that's an "oops" upgrade, as in #1 got moved up to F and then oops F actually full so moved back to Y again.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
so, virgin PP user here and am on the waitlist, do PP clearances happen only day of departure or do some clear in advance of departure day?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CALMSP
so, virgin PP user here and am on the waitlist, do PP clearances happen only day of departure or do some clear in advance of departure day?
They can clear at any time if PZ space opens.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by jsloan
They can clear at any time if PZ space opens.
and is it only PZ or would it be possible to clear at the gate before departure if cabin is still not full?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CALMSP
and is it only PZ or would it be possible to clear at the gate before departure if cabin is still not full?
It's possible to clear at the gate if PZ never opens in advance, yes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Upgraded despite booked>capacity?

I just got notified (and a seat confirmed) of a CPU (no PP used) upgraded on my SFO-LAS flight tonight
on the app it says:
Capacity: 20; Booked: 18; Checked-in: 15

on the website status:
Total Seats: 20; Booked: 24; Checked-in: 15

...implying that they not only have overbooked F by 4 seats, but now giving away more?
....or does the extra booking UA's way of including those who requested CPU/PP upgrades?
.... it is only a 1:38 flight
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfirst
I just got notified (and a seat confirmed) of a CPU (no PP used) upgraded on my SFO-LAS flight tonight
on the app it says:
Capacity: 20; Booked: 18; Checked-in: 15

on the website status:
Total Seats: 20; Booked: 24; Checked-in: 15

...implying that they not only have overbooked F by 4 seats, but now giving away more?
....or does the extra booking UA's way of including those who requested CPU/PP upgrades?
.... it is only a 1:38 flight
The display on the website is broken. It has been for a long time, unfortunately, although it seems to be getting worse. The app is likely correct.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
You can hope for downgrade compensation if website is correct.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Website is broken, period. You did not receive a CPU into an overbooked cabin - 100% sure.

Enjoy your first class seat for the short flight.

-RM
Old Sep 7, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
probably the same buggy coding in the website that says I can check 9 free bags?

yes - will be interesting to see if there is a downgrade if true....... will screenshot by boarding pass
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:17 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Not sure if anyone knows the definitive answer to this but I have a reservation with me and a companion (I am 1k and the companion has no status). We both got upgraded to Polaris using PlusPoints a week in advance of the flight (I assume my 1K status had something to do with this)... however now I need to change MY flight but my companion is taking the original flight. The PNR will get split once I make my change but my question is whether my companion will lose their confirmed PP upgrade because of this OR can they have any issues at check-in, etc.?
Old Sep 13, 2022, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Not sure if anyone knows the definitive answer to this but I have a reservation with me and a companion (I am 1k and the companion has no status). We both got upgraded to Polaris using PlusPoints a week in advance of the flight (I assume my 1K status had something to do with this)... however now I need to change MY flight but my companion is taking the original flight. The PNR will get split once I make my change but my question is whether my companion will lose their confirmed PP upgrade because of this OR can they have any issues at check-in, etc.?
No, your companion should not lose their upgrade at all. When you call the 1K line (assuming you do this via phone), make sure they preserve your companions upgrade. Ask them to split off the PNR so you can change yours and then ensure that the upgrade remains. Do not let them touch the PNR before confirming the upgrade will persist, which it should because it's already confirmed and with valid PlusPoints which are already debited.

-RM
jsloan, ContinentalFan and Kmxu like this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
No, your companion should not lose their upgrade at all. When you call the 1K line (assuming you do this via phone), make sure they preserve your companions upgrade. Ask them to split off the PNR so you can change yours and then ensure that the upgrade remains. Do not let them touch the PNR before confirming the upgrade will persist, which it should because it's already confirmed and with valid PlusPoints which are already debited.

-RM
Very helpful. Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.