Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade waitlist / display / clearing issues since PlusPoints changeover

Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade waitlist / display / clearing issues since PlusPoints changeover

Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, EL Al ???, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Seriously?

This is not uncommon at all.
I had to ask . Even on TLV we get better PZ inventory than 1.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA frequently withholds inventory from advance upgrades, although booked 1/50 is an extreme case.
I wouldn't even call it extreme. I'd call it absolutely normal.

There's very little advance PZ out there.
Originally Posted by ElieW
I thought PNR split was to make sure the 1k doesn't get knocked down to status of the lowest pax on the reservation.
PNR splits because SHARES can't process upgrades for multiple passenger PNRs at the gate.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:51 am

PNR splits because SHARES can't process upgrades for multiple passenger PNRs at the gate.
So, to conclude, she would keep 1k priority even after split. BUT, she said the reservations were "linked", not the same record locator. It's possible she wasn't being specific as she may not know. Is there a way to link reservations that would give a special priority? I was told in the past by UA that there is no such thing.

I'm trying to nail down specifics because I don't want to claim there are problems with the upgrade process unless I have specific evidence of such.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: UA MM
So, to conclude, she would keep 1k priority even after split. BUT, she said the reservations were "linked", not the same record locator. It's possible she wasn't being specific as she may not know. Is there a way to link reservations that would give a special priority? I was told in the past by UA that there is no such thing.

I'm trying to nail down specifics because I don't want to claim there are problems with the upgrade process unless I have specific evidence of such.
A PNR for multiple passengers will split at check-in unless there's a specific instruction not to do so. This would be the case if families don't want to run the risk of splitting up due to insufficient upgrade availability. They are supposed to still be "linked" so no one loses their upgrade status after the split.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
"Linked" is not really the right term. There's supposed be coding attached such that the split-off ticket retains the elite status level for purposes of upgrade processing.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
A PNR for multiple passengers will split at check-in unless there's a specific instruction not to do so. This would be the case if families don't want to run the risk of splitting up due to insufficient upgrade availability. They are supposed to still be "linked" so no one loses their upgrade status after the split.
Thanks Jim, but that didn't really answer my question. Let me clarify. Example 2 family members on different itineraries but they happen to fly together on one flight. 1k member uses +P for upgrade as well as sponsor +P for the family member. Could/would UA link those reservations so that family member 2 could share the priority of the sponsor? I had this specific scenario 18 months ago and was told no by UA. They would only link the reservations as far as allowing E+ seating for free.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Agent credibility at this point: Zero.

UA is absolutely aware of the problem. Not only do they monitor this board, but they are surely receiving a large volume of complaints, as the issues are so obvious one need not have FT-level knowledge to realize the process is not working as it is supposed to work.
I am sure that there are some bugs in the system. UA IT is just tone deaf. I called three times, each call lasting 30-60 min. Web support and help desk agents worked on the "upgrade - skipped insufficient credits" display error. Each time, they reported the problem to the IT department because these senior agents could not fix the problem themselves. They tried all tricks within their brains but could get rid of this display error and put my name on the "visible" upgrade standby lists. It has been three weeks since the first call. The second call was ten days ago. I am totally giving up on them to fix the problem before my trip. I will only call 1K line again if I see RN and PZ spaces before my trip. Perhaps, I could drop an email to 1K Voice to raise this issue again.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:12 am

Example 2 family members on different itineraries but they happen to fly together on one flight. 1k member uses +P for upgrade as well as sponsor +P for the family member. Could/would UA link those reservations so that family member 2 could share the priority of the sponsor?
That is expressly outside the rules. It has nothing to do with whether UA could code the reservation in that way. They won't because the current published rule is that upgrade priority is based on the status of the traveler, not the sponsor.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: UA MM
That is expressly outside the rules. It has nothing to do with whether UA could code the reservation in that way. They won't because the current published rule is that upgrade priority is based on the status of the traveler, not the sponsor.
Unless the sponsor is GS?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Unless the sponsor is GS?
It's still based upon the status of the traveler, except that the instrument itself is more powerful. So, a Plat on a GS instrument is ahead of a Gold on a GS instrument but behind a 1K on a GS instrument.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: United 1K/*G, HHonors Platinum
I purchased a PP ticket SFO-ICN-SFO and applied 30 PlusPoints each way; outbound cleared on ticketing but with 49/50 available (1A blocked), I am on the waitlist on the inbound. :-)
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:06 am

I confirmed with my friend that they were NOT on the same PNR. She was not full fare. What in the world could have gotten a no status passenger even in the top 10 on the list? (I'm being a little extreme, but you get the point). This was TLV flight. There are numerous 1k's on every flight.

Last edited by ElieW; Jan 7, 2020 at 10:17 am
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I am sure that there are some bugs in the system. UA IT is just tone deaf. I called three times, each call lasting 30-60 min. Web support and help desk agents worked on the "upgrade - skipped insufficient credits" display error. Each time, they reported the problem to the IT department because these senior agents could not fix the problem themselves. They tried all tricks within their brains but could get rid of this display error and put my name on the "visible" upgrade standby lists. It has been three weeks since the first call. The second call was ten days ago. I am totally giving up on them to fix the problem before my trip. I will only call 1K line again if I see RN and PZ spaces before my trip. Perhaps, I could drop an email to 1K Voice to raise this issue again.
I think it's worth it to be proactive. Hard to catch when inventory may open only for a few seconds.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Assuming they were on an employee companion/fmily pass? Is there any situation where this should ever happen? Definitely worth a call IMO. But this adds evidence that it's not just the display that is broken. It may not be the actual algorithm that clears upgrades, perhaps plus points are not being applied properly in some cases. I have some indications of this.
I have never seen it happen before...
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
CPU: A broken experience at UA. They say they're aware of it

I just SDC'd my flights for tomorrow and after the ticket was updated I checked in using the mobile app. Curious about my CPU position I checked flight status to find that I wasn't on the upgrade list for either flight tomorrow.

I'm now on my third call to United to fix this. The first agent told me CPU must be requested at least 24 hours in advance. Wrong. Second agent had no clue and basically hung up on me. Third agent told me it's a known issue that they are working on. After repeatedly asking how others are on the list and I'm not she had no answer other than. "We're aware of it." Then she tells me she sees PlusPoints on my reservation -- which are for the return, not the outbound. I've now been listening to on hold music for 20 minutes.

I've already read three other reports today about people not appearing on the CPU list. Some were able to get it fixed and some not. I'm only pushing this because the connecting flight will run a CPU sweep shortly and there are 7 open seats so quite a few people will be upgraded (probably 4 or 5). As a 1K I should be near the top of the list but if I'm not even on the list I'll get skipped.

Edit: the phone agent had to speak to two supervisors. Second supervisor submitted a ticket (no idea to whom). My reservation now shows the CPU is requested. I was told I'm #3 on the first flight and #1 on the second flight. However, the app shows me as #9 for the first flight and #2 for the second flight. #9 of 17 as a 1K is possibly but highly unlikely. Chalk that up to just display issues?

My gut tells me changes are coming to CPU. UA wouldn't be tinkering with this code if they weren't testing changes down the line. Basically most of the IT failures we have seen UA make over the past year or so have all been results of them testing code for MileagePlus changes (e.g. P class earnings reduction).

-RM
AceReport likes this.

Last edited by RobOnLI; Jan 7, 2020 at 3:39 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.