Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade waitlist / display / clearing issues since PlusPoints changeover

Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 8, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

Curious how accurate this will play out, I assume it is pretty accurate. Checked on domestic widebidy flight for a friend 12/26. Good to see.

That being said, SO and I not showing up for 12/23 CPU eligible flight. Both on same PNR.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:23 am

Ran into an issue last night with the upgrade list.

Flying on a 787-10 in paid premium plus using Pass Plus points.

showing top of the business class upgrade list (since I was already seated in P+).

11a was open so I went to the agent to ask to grab that one when he processed upgrades. But he told me his system showed me as number 15 on the waitlist. I looked at it with him and pointed out everyone on the p+ list was before me.

on the TV at the gate it showed me first. He called the local NY GS agent who was rude to the gate agent and refused to want to deal with it.

i called GS and got a super helpful agent (who is actually a GS instructor) who called NY and got equally rude treatment.

at the end of the day I got another agent to look who pulled up shares and it showed me as #2 still not number 1. I cleared but not to the seat I wanted.

i emailed GS who let me know apparently this is a known bug with arrow since the switch over. With multiple GS reporting being passed over on the upgrade list.

moral of the story check with the gate agent and make them check shares. United IT continues to be a disaster.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the system is 'Aero'.

Are you describing an issue with PassPlus (UA link) or PlusPoints (UA link)?

UA has too many __Plus__ things.

The PlusPoints updates have messed a lot of things about the upgrade system.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by fumje

Are you describing an issue with PassPlus (UA link) or PlusPoints (UA link)?

UA has too many __Plus__ things.

booked premium plus and used plus points
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is.

Agreed, but this seems particularly egregious. The way the upgrade list is managed is extremely complicated, with its roots in several different systems coming both from UA and CO. But I had always thought that Aero was just displayed a more fine-grained version of the same list that's in SHARES. This suggests that they're actually using entirely different lists, which has all sorts of implications, mostly bad.

The automated system -- and, it seems, the airport displays -- would use the SHARES lists (invisible and visible, respectively). An agent would use the Aero lists.

I suspect it's been a bad week for the IT department. I doubt they're getting a ton of sleep.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by jp12687
booked premium plus and used plus points
What happened to me last week was a waitlisted upgrade using PlusPoints bombed out during the RPU/GPU to PlusPoints changeover. Consequently, my upgrade request changed from Waitlisted to CPU Eligible which knocked me down the list quite a bit. Perhaps the same thing happened to you? A call to the 1K desk got it fixed.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
The way the upgrade list is managed is extremely complicated, with its roots in several different systems coming both from UA and CO. But I had always thought that Aero was just displayed a more fine-grained version of the same list that's in SHARES. This suggests that they're actually using entirely different lists, which has all sorts of implications, mostly bad
Yeah I thought Aero was just an overlay on top of SHARES.

They clearly broke something significant when they added PlusPoints. Sounds like it may be difficult to diagnose, let alone fix.

Makes me very glad my only future UA flight has already upgraded.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
I'm a 1k and flew EWR-IAH on an instrument thursday last week and was mid 40s on the list and 8 people cleared. I completely get not clearing but on an instrument as a 1k on that route I'm always in the top and clear about 50% of the time on Thursdays. No way I should have been that low.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
The system is messed up, however, today some of the issues fixed itself for me. So segments that didn't show upgrade eligible are now showing and I am on the UG list.
Hopefully this means that UA is starting to fix the utter mess they have caused by the +P transition.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
What happened to me last week was a waitlisted upgrade using PlusPoints bombed out during the RPU/GPU to PlusPoints changeover. Consequently, my upgrade request changed from Waitlisted to CPU Eligible which knocked me down the list quite a bit. Perhaps the same thing happened to you? A call to the 1K desk got it fixed.
I am having this exact issue today SIN-SFO-ORD. Booked entire routing with a GPU at the time, SIN-SFO since has cleared into biz, but SFO-ORD moves to CPU eligible and Im far down the list. Called GS line 4 hrs ago, they couldnt fix on repeated attempts, and they were going to call SFO (someone) to manually move me up the wait list. So far it hasnt happened. 🙄😡

EDIT: Called again 6 hours after first call, another 30 min on GS line, but fixed by a supervisor.

Last edited by tcdtcd; Dec 12, 2019 at 5:43 am
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yeah, I still see issues with it... Here is the list for an upcoming flight (which has PN availability so presumably no GS). I'm booked in (paid) premium eco and behind a number of people (edit: who are waitlisted for premium plus) who are waitlisted for Polaris? I tried calling but got a representative telling me number of years as a platinum was relevant for upgrade priority... Perhaps worth calling again in the morning.

Calgal2 likes this.

Last edited by A Little Cow; Dec 12, 2019 at 1:20 am
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by A Little Cow
I'm booked in (paid) premium eco and behind a number of people who are also waitlisted for Polaris?
Not sure I understand from that why you think the list is wrong. Did you mean to say you're listed behind pax who are also listed for PE? If so, keep in mind that paid PE pax have been showing on the PE waitlist since the product was introduced.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:47 am

I thought they would often show up as upgraded, not on the upgrade standby list? It is also a bit confusing since nobody who is waitlisted for just premium eco, everyone shows up on the polaris list as well. It is, of course, possible that nobody waitlisted for just premium eco.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: None - previously UA
FWIW the list as displayed does not really seem to run in strict order, for my flight on Monday the first person to clear was at position #7
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:23 am

Yeah, it looks like for that list 3 and 6 just cleared, so perhaps there is hope it still just a display issue and I have a chance... :P

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.