Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TPG Reviewer Sits in Wrong Seat, Blames UA for Subpar Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TPG Reviewer Sits in Wrong Seat, Blames UA for Subpar Experience

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What an idiot. Sounds like he doesn’t fly very often.
It was his first flight on an aeroplane EVER, or so it seems...

Potentially the most ridiculous travel "blog" in history!

This would be the perfect candidate to be involuntarily ejected from the plane during flight!
SF_DUKE and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
Very comical. Only this person "likes" the iPads at EWR. Must be the reviewer's first time.
Xyzzy, narvik and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Oh man, thanks for posting this! I laughed out loud after a very frustrating day at work. The writer's big toe was cold so he wrapped his blanket around his foot! Four drink services on a US domestic flight in Y was not enough! He must be making this stuff up!
irishguy28, narvik and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by seat38a
And let's remember, the OP and everyone including myself has done exactly what they wanted us to do. The link got shared and everyone read it and even stuck around to read the comments. How do you think thats going to affect their clicks, impressions, bounce rates etc.? Stupid or evil genius? How many other people do you think has shared the link??? It's called viral marketing.
Indeed!
I myself signed up for 4 credit cards through the TPG page links because of this OP!

I mean, how could you NOT do so after reading that gem of an article???
st3, Silver Fox and Kacee like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
Indeed!
I myself signed up for 4 credit cards through the TPG page links because of this OP!

I mean, how could you NOT do so after reading that gem of an article???
It's not always about actually signing up. You can get paid by impressions. Also, if you can show more traffic and more interaction on the page and also a link back from a reputable source like FlyerTalk, then you've just shown Google that your reputable, Satisfied the social link requirement for higher ranking. Oh and then you take that traffic report and sell ads on your site at a higher monthly rate. It's also about noise in social media so it might also explain some of the crappy articles lately.

And the part where United is coming out smelling nice in this. You think that wasn't planned by a bunch of marketing people and user research?

No one at TPG is probably upset but really pleased right now.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 10, 2019 at 12:38 pm Reason: dicuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
"I bought tickets to Frozen II but accidentally sat in the theater where they were playing Joker and it was all down hill from there, never once saw Elsa, Anna, Olaf, etc and though the animation was creepily true-to-life and colorful, it had nothing to do with the story, and the film is way too violent for a kid's movie..."
This article in a nutshell.
trooper, wrp96, PVDtoDEL and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
TPG has to generate massive volume to pay for the "name" talent it added in the last year or so (talking about quality aviation journalists like Benet or Ben Mutzabaugh). To do that, it seems to be substantially relying on bottom-of-the-barrel bloggers to churn out vacuous content that drives clicks and pageviews.

I am interested to see how things go for TPG in the next few years... you can see glimmers of what I call "peak-startup" behavior following a round of private funding. This tends to come in the form of a lot of show and visibility to, among other things, mask a cash hemorrhage.
Kacee, vkis and LoungeLizardHugo like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by EWR764
TPG has to generate massive volume to pay for the "name" talent it added in the last year or so (talking about quality aviation journalists like Benet or Ben Mutzabaugh). To do that, it seems to be substantially relying on bottom-of-the-barrel bloggers to churn out vacuous content that drives clicks and pageviews.

I am interested to see how things go for TPG in the next few years... you can see glimmers of what I call "peak-startup" behavior following a round of private funding. This tends to come in the form of a lot of show and visibility to, among other things, mask a cash hemorrhage.
They were bought by Red Ventures a while back, so their funding seems to be somewhat secured for now. It does seem like they're expanding massively (TPG UK, new NY office, ...) and I don't really see how their business model is scalable that way (there must be something I'm not seeing). TPG UK doesn't appear to be the success they've wanted it to be and all their staff seem to be doing is shuttling between LON and NYC on a monthly basis to review products that have been reviewed thousands of times.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by vkis
They were bought by Red Ventures a while back, so their funding seems to be somewhat secured for now. It does seem like they're expanding massively (TPG UK, new NY office, ...) and I don't really see how their business model is scalable that way (there must be something I'm not seeing). TPG UK doesn't appear to be the success they've wanted it to be and all their staff seem to be doing is shuttling between LON and NYC on a monthly basis to review products that have been reviewed thousands of times.
Shuttling between LON and NYC monthly in the wrong seat?
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by greenpau
Seriously, completely ridiculous, and he deserves the roasting. I honestly consider TPG the weakest of the review content sites these days, and am thoroughly befuddled by TPG’s broader strategy. There appear to be zero journalistic or writing qualifications required to join and write content. Still, this will likely cause trouble for the TPG high regent and the ongoing commercial relationship with UA - the entire Instagram feed on Giving Tuesday was filled with lame TPG cameos and propaganda. Hopefully UA moves on from investing any more collaboration time soon.
They get A LOT of favorable treatment from airlines including UA. They get to board before elites, they get to fly on every premier flight of a new plane or service, etc. The airlines are really afraid of them, I guess.

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
All of the blogs are trash. They have ruined the miles game for most of us, and they spike any mistake far in minutes or hours. Their reviews are almost all trash.
Mistake fares seem to me to be a legitimate subject of journalism. Nobody has an obligation to keep them secret so that more people can snag them.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 10, 2019 at 9:43 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by dilanesp
They get A LOT of favorable treatment from airlines including UA. They get to board before elites, they get to fly on every premier flight of a new plane or service, etc. The airlines are really afraid of them, I guess.
Not necessarily afraid, but it's a low hanging (but valuable) fruit as far as marketing opportunities go. Why pay for expensive TV ads if one of your key target demographics reads these blogs all the time? Just invite one of their "journalists" to cover some (in the grand scheme of things) minor event and voila, TPG feels like they're wearing big boy journo pants and you've got some good, targeted coverage. Everyone wins.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I know TPG personally, and I'm very good friends with one of his Spain-based writers (who I feel does a great job). This blog post strikes me as bizarre. It's definitely sub-standard.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I'm envious someone got paid to fly that and write that review.

I'd kill for an opportunity like that. I've actually applied to their site a couple times and of course never heard back, so it's frustrating to see where the bar is right now. Like everything else, I'm sure this reviewer knew the right person and that's why they get to write articles like this. It reads like someone who has never been inside an airport before.
leoo likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I don't know about everyone else, but I generally tend to avoid broadcasting (or publishing) my deficiencies especially when I have forewarning that I have committed them.

Who would admit to making a huge blunder and then publish it in a review that castigates the entity providing the service?

It takes a great deal of chutzpah to do that (and I am being kind).
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BThumme
I'm envious someone got paid to fly that and write that review.

I'd kill for an opportunity like that. I've actually applied to their site a couple times and of course never heard back, so it's frustrating to see where the bar is right now. Like everything else, I'm sure this reviewer knew the right person and that's why they get to write articles like this. It reads like someone who has never been inside an airport before.
You can curb your envy simply by buying an E- transcon ticket. Might set you back a hundred bucks. Pointless flying in a 3-4-3 777 is not a gift I would want to receive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.