Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Robinís Egg Blue UA handle wraps - No more yellow handle wraps?

Robinís Egg Blue UA handle wraps - No more yellow handle wraps?

Old Dec 26, 19, 10:12 am

So I received my 1K baby-blue baggage wrap today. Not exactly sure what the purpose of this gizmo is. Does United actually train baggage handlers to throw these bags will slightly 'less' enthusiasm than non-wrapped branded bags?
Old Dec 26, 19, 10:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by muncie21 View Post
So I received my 1K baby-blue baggage wrap today. Not exactly sure what the purpose of this gizmo is. ...
The wraps are may provide expedited handling for gate-checked bags on UX -- that is the bags with the wrap will be the first returned at arrival. Reported experience has been mixed but does seem to help at many UX airports. See link for a discussion of the prior yellow wrap use.
For checked bags it is just a way to help identify your bag on the carousel -- no priority.

You are not "required" to use the wrap but some find it of some usefulness in the above cases.
Old Dec 30, 19, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG Pt
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8 View Post
If they're retaining all of the international 1K flyers that fly business (which I don't see why they wouldn't), I don't know that they'd have any problem with this. Also not sure why they would pick up a ton of domestic flyers - the number of people who are spending 18k+ but weren't hitting the 100k PQM threshold (which by the way is easier in domestic first as you get 2-3x multipliers on the distance flown in PQM) is likely very small.
Remember there are people that are segment warriors, instead of 120 flights, they now only need 54. People that qualified on PQM would need an average of ~2kPQM/segment to at least meet the PQF requirement. It shifts things quite significantly.

In my case, 54 PQF is about 13-14 TATL trips, whereas with about 6 I'd normally hit 100k PQM. Add to that the increase in PQD, I'm not sure if I _want_ to divert all my flying to UA for the declining benefits (PlusPoints/RPU/GPU post qualification have gone down).

Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8 View Post
Seems all very predictable (not surprising to United) as they can calculate these numbers based on historicals. And I don't think the location of flyers they're rewarding matters if they're the most profitable.
You can calculate how the new distribution of elites will be; but it's much harder to factor in how it affects loyalty over all - there will always be folks who can and will game any system, but the people who don't make 1K might not stick around to now reach the newer lower level. The people who now make 1K (mostly on spend) often are not the folks who care that much about loyalty, but about service. The latter will be interesting, what on-board service improvements will entice people to keep spending on UA ?

This from an International 1K who's done 100-150k PQM (often with <50 PQS!) and 12k-16k PQD's (though haven't had to deal with that) these past years; I buy a mix of cheaper further-out and expensive close-in Economy based on how flexible my schedule needs to be. UA hasn't shown me why a 60% increase in spend is needed to maintain my current benefits given the decline in service.

But, back on-topic. My yellow handle has been ripped off twice, and the past few years a replacement was never sent by UA.
I did suggest the 1K Bag Office once to send me a new one after once again a bag was found at the caroussel in a sorry state of affairs - nope.

Last edited by jupper; Dec 30, 19 at 7:22 am Reason: topic
Old Dec 30, 19, 9:12 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
To prevent theft and only use the handle when needed, I would attach to my bag right before boarding a valet only rj flight and remove once back in the terminal. Works about 80% of the time.

I haven't received my new blue handle...will they honor the yellow tag? (I would think least until Jan 31)
Old Dec 30, 19, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy Amb
I arrived in CLE today on a CR7 with my new blue handle wrap affixed. Baggage handler asked if this was the new priority tag after he brought the bag up and apologized for not having it out first. A little frustrating they haven't let the whole team know about this yet. But I did appreciate the proactive baggage handler.
Old Dec 30, 19, 11:58 am
formerly NikoGoutakolis

Originally Posted by Halo117 View Post
To prevent theft and only use the handle when needed, I would attach to my bag right before boarding a valet only rj flight and remove once back in the terminal. Works about 80% of the time.

I haven't received my new blue handle...will they honor the yellow tag? (I would think least until Jan 31)
I guarantee you the United Exp. Ground Services ramp workers will not feel any differently about your yellow tag on February 1st than they would on January 31st.
Old Dec 31, 19, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis View Post
I guarantee you the United Exp. Ground Services ramp workers will not feel any differently about your yellow tag on February 1st than they would on January 31st.
By the time they even figure it out itíll be time for the new 2021 color
Old Dec 31, 19, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by chavala View Post
By the time they even figure it out it’ll be time for the new 2021 color
A new colour in 2021? Are you saying the next year's PQD requirement will be 38k?

chavala likes this.
Old Dec 31, 19, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA *G
Originally Posted by chavala View Post
By the time they even figure it out itíll be time for the new 2021 color
The 2021 color will be purple
Old Dec 31, 19, 3:28 pm

Programs: United 1k, *wood LT Plat
More times than not, my yellow-tagged bag was one of the first up. In one case, on a late arriving connection into O'hare, bag handlers brought my bag up while unloading the other gate checked bags...saved me from missing my SFO connection.
Old Jan 1, 20, 12:04 am

Programs: United 1K, SPG/Mar Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lilpisher View Post
More times than not, my yellow-tagged bag was one of the first up. In one case, on a late arriving connection into O'hare, bag handlers brought my bag up while unloading the other gate checked bags...saved me from missing my SFO connection.
I definitely credit the yellow wrap for saving multiple super tight connections after delayed inbounds over the years. Being based in YUL means I invariably start and end trips on UAX, so I get a lot of use from this perk! That said, the big baggage elevators at YUL mean I only really benefit on the outbound.
Old Jan 3, 20, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Well, I guess we will be able to id the de-flocked 1Ks (such as myself) easily in the future -- we will be the ones with the gold wraps.
Sort of like resorts changing the pool wristband color daily to weed out the interlopers
Old Jan 3, 20, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
Sort of like resorts changing the pool wristband color daily to weed out the interlopers
I once met someone who bought an assorted pack of wristbands so he had all the colors..
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jan 3, 20, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by kevflyer View Post
I once met someone who bought an assorted pack of wristbands so he had all the colors..
Has he mastered joined up writing yet?
kevflyer likes this.
Old Jan 3, 20, 11:37 am

Programs: UA GS | Marriott Titanium / LT Gold
Originally Posted by jupper View Post
This from an International 1K who's done 100-150k PQM (often with <50 PQS!) and 12k-16k PQD's (though haven't had to deal with that) these past years; I buy a mix of cheaper further-out and expensive close-in Economy based on how flexible my schedule needs to be. UA hasn't shown me why a 60% increase in spend is needed to maintain my current benefits given the decline in service.

But, back on-topic. My yellow handle has been ripped off twice, and the past few years a replacement was never sent by UA.
I did suggest the 1K Bag Office once to send me a new one after once again a bag was found at the caroussel in a sorry state of affairs - nope.
It would seem clear from the new program approach that they are just fine shedding flyers like yourself from the 1K ranks - they would rather have someone who is flying those segments in business class (and thus clear the 24k requirement making the flight #'s a null issue). Now as for whether you should increase spend to maintain current benefits I think that answer is quite clear as well I certainly wouldn't stick around in that situation. I similarly fly low #'s of segments - only 33 in 2019 - but spend is typically high (I have exceeded 24k PQD's for the past 4 years) but expect mine to drop off this year so once my GS status expires next January I will likely stop playing the status game with United.

As for your bag handle issue - that's frustrating. As long as I emailed the 1K team outside of the December - February window where they don't really issue replacements, I've received them if requested. I would proactively hassle in March or April this year to get a spare given your frequency of having them taken.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: