Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Oscar becomes Exec Chairman, Kirby becomes CEO on 20 May 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oscar becomes Exec Chairman, Kirby becomes CEO on 20 May 2020

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
What if he changes his name to Oscar Bethune? Would that change make people happy? 😆
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I’m an Oscar fan too. I’d forgotten about the coffee; it’s clearly a miracle. Mr Kirby needs to pick a Bond villain as president, if he’s also to be part of the pantheon. For all the criticisms, the new CEO isn’t that bad. If he patched things up with employees (think loaves and fishes!) and rebooted morale that would be a good move.

Oscar mentioned making United the world class airline or words to that effect. I love that ambition. I’d love to see the new CEO map out a plan to get there.
There is a limited talent pool of Bond villains who have the senior management experience to be CEO. If they cannot find Dr. No, there is always the Austin Powers villain talent pool. I wonder if Dr. Evil could be recruited?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by BearX220
That goose was cooked a long time ago. Barring a catastrophic economic depression, there's just no business case for a robust loyalty program, and Kirby knows it.
Completely agree with you, loyalty programs will not gain any strength again until the economy is in such a state that plumbers return your phone calls and realtors have to work to sell houses.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by transportprof
There is a limited talent pool of Bond villains who have the senior management experience to be CEO....
How about Hugo Drax?

That's assuming that he survived being ejected into deep space...
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by transportprof
There is a limited talent pool of Bond villains who have the senior management experience to be CEO. If they cannot find Dr. No, there is always the Austin Powers villain talent pool. I wonder if Dr. Evil could be recruited?
Frank Lorenzo is still with us, and meets the bill.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by JBord
I think this is a pretty good summary of events. Unfortunately it probably doesn't bode well for the mileage plus program, IMO.
I submit that with Kirby already inside, we're already seeing Mileage Plus changes rolling out, so that they're in the rear view mirror by the time he accedes. At least as far as planned ones (that the competition doesn't spring).
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:40 am

Well, it's done. That small regional low-cost airline from out west now controls the 2 of the 3 largest airlines in the world, with something of like 10% of worldwide route miles. Astonishing. And people say there's no competition in airlines!
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:49 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by AustinWeatherGuy
.. oh, good.. this will go well ...
My son who was well on his way to GS but this year move to another Star alliance, in his words “ any carrier is better than UA” He is on his second year as 1k doing 10-12 business class trips to Far East out of SFO and now discovering the difference sampling Eastern based carriers, FA, service, food, sadly UA lounge still out of SFO.

He sent this timely photo last night, maybe timed to Kirby’s promotion, LOL

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 5, 2019 at 3:25 pm Reason: Removed comments on moderation FT Rule 18
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Awful news.
jasonp622 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by chipmaster
He sent this timely photo last night, maybe timed to Kirby’s promotion, LOL

This "photo-shopped" image, I presume?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Is someone starting the #IvebeenKirbied thread?
Based on the MP changes kicking out 1K international hub-based flyers (not enough PQFs) I'm going with: #kickedtothekirb
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Whelp, that’s the end of UA being halfway decent. One need look no further than to AA to see what USAir management does to an airline.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, Global Entry, Non-Rev
I’m sorry UA employees and frequent fliers, this is very bad news. “Air Kirby” is going to be rough for everyone.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 5, 2019 at 3:29 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:43 pm

The sky is falling, as usual. I agree with the sentiment that very little will change in the near term.

A lot of folks keep on saying they will switch to other programs or airlines, but I have yet to see any evidence of that actually occurring.
EWR764 and am1108 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So CNBC types were crediting Kirby this morning for turning UA around since coming on board in 2015.

They credit him for all the operational moves which supposedly improved the financial performance of the airline.

One anecdote was that flying out of Chicago for years, the cabin staff would always emphasize their Continental roots years after the merger. Oscar supposedly ended that.
am1108 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.