Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Oscar becomes Exec Chairman, Kirby becomes CEO on 20 May 2020

Oscar becomes Exec Chairman, Kirby becomes CEO on 20 May 2020

Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by EWR764
Hard to imagine that anything will change dramatically with Kirby as CEO. He's been driving this bus for a long time... virtually all of the structural changes to the company during the past 36 months or so have his fingerprints all over it. The whole point of Munoz -> Kirby is continuity of strategic direction and leadership.

One wonders if this move was announced now to preempt any overtures by AA to bring Kirby back into the fold to replace his old compadre, Doug Parker, who (IMO) has been on borrowed time for pushing a year. I also hear of other big things afoot in the industry, but time will tell.
You’re talking about yet another merger; one that will explore where the line is?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by goalie
Welcome to "Air "Kirby"

Be afraid, be very very afraid
Very true
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
That goose was cooked a long time ago. Barring a catastrophic economic depression, there's just no business case for a robust loyalty program, and Kirby knows it.
It stopped being a loyalty program a while back; it’ now primarily a rewards program: MP is safe.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
You’re talking about yet another merger; one that will explore where the line is?
Rumor has it... but the question is the identity of the 'real' suitor. As far as B6/DL, I feel as though DL is a stalking horse. There's so much overlap that even a perceived business-friendly DoJ might consider it anticompetitive.

Anyway, I digress.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The big change will be here, on FT, as we start the process of sanitizing the memory of St Oscar of Wacker Drive.

Who will be the new president?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
The big change will be here, on FT, as we start the process of sanitizing the memory of St Oscar of Wacker Drive.

Second to Gordon Bethune, who else has done a better job running the airline?

Hey, the guy fixed the coffee situation. That, alone, is worthy of sainthood.

In all seriousness, much appreciation and respect for Mr. Munoz. I think he's done a good job rescuing a merger that was swirling the bowl. Remember where we were when he took the helm - scandal, no FA contract, angry everyone (employees, customers, etc.) - horrible metrics all around.

Look at where we are now. Credit where credit's due. If the major complaint is that airline food is put on a plate before it gets on the plane ... I'd say we're through the worst of it, ya know?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
So no more cameo appearances in the UA safety video then!
......we can only hope.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Second to Gordon Bethune, who else has done a better job running the airline?

Hey, the guy fixed the coffee situation. That, alone, is worthy of sainthood.

In all seriousness, much appreciation and respect for Mr. Munoz. I think he's done a good job rescuing a merger that was swirling the bowl. Remember where we were when he took the helm - scandal, no FA contract, angry everyone (employees, customers, etc.) - horrible metrics all around.

Look at where we are now. Credit where credit's due. If the major complaint is that airline food is put on a plate before it gets on the plane ... I'd say we're through the worst of it, ya know?
I’m an Oscar fan too. I’d forgotten about the coffee; it’s clearly a miracle. Mr Kirby needs to pick a Bond villain as president, if he’s also to be part of the pantheon. For all the criticisms, the new CEO isn’t that bad. If he patched things up with employees (think loaves and fishes!) and rebooted morale that would be a good move.

Oscar mentioned making United the world class airline or words to that effect. I love that ambition. I’d love to see the new CEO map out a plan to get there.
am1108 likes this.

Last edited by ContinentalFan; Dec 5, 2019 at 9:04 am
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:58 am

Posters seriously overestimate the impact the CEO of a multi billion dollar company has on the minutiae of day to day operations. While critical in setting the culture, the CEO doesn’t get involved in the terms of MP, catering, or other things that are typically complained about. The CEO hires executives to manage these programs and determines financial and strategic goals.

I doubt there will be any near-term differences in the customer experience after Kirby assumes the CEO title.
Miggles likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Welcome to "Air "Kirby"

Or... and I'm just spit balling here... one could take off the tin foil hat and recognize the it's effectively been Air Kirby for quite sometime now and Oscar has largely been a figurehead or on medical for a pretty significant percentage of his overall tenure.

I know, I know... that is much less fun than pursuing the standard "the world is ending" thread direction that many in this forum seem to take perverse joy in.

Regards
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly18725
Posters seriously overestimate the impact the CEO of a multi billion dollar company has on the minutiae of day to day operations. While critical in setting the culture, the CEO doesn’t get involved in the terms of MP, catering, or other things that are typically complained about. The CEO hires executives to manage these programs and determines financial and strategic goals.

I doubt there will be any near-term differences in the customer experience after Kirby assumes the CEO title.
I didn’t read anyone talk about getting involved in the minutiae of a company. The CEO can have a major impact on the day to day operations and many airline CEOs, for better or worse, have done that very thing. By setting the tone, the impact of a CEO can and is felt at every level of an organization. Gordon Bethune was mentioned earlier. For those of us who were with Continental in the 90s when another bankruptcy was looming, his changes were dramatic, widespread and almost immediate.
dmurphynj and cmd320 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC

No one - they created the position just for Kirby. I doubt he fills it.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Welcome to "Air "Kirby"

Is someone starting the #IvebeenKirbied thread?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
Hard to imagine that anything will change dramatically with Kirby as CEO. He's been driving this bus for a long time... virtually all of the structural changes to the company during the past 36 months or so have his fingerprints all over it. The whole point of Munoz -> Kirby is continuity of strategic direction and leadership.

One wonders if this move was announced now to preempt any overtures by AA to bring Kirby back into the fold to replace his old compadre, Doug Parker, who (IMO) has been on borrowed time for pushing a year. I also hear of other big things afoot in the industry, but time will tell.
I strongly disagree. The recent developments at UA/MP have his fingers all over them. To note from the linked WSJ story. This is no joke - and the guy is as detail oriented as they come.

Mr. Kirby has a reputation among investors and analysts as one of the most detail-orientated airline executives, and had made no secret of his ambition to lead a major airline.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Is someone starting the #IvebeenKirbied thread?
#KickedToTheKirb

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.