Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Oscar becomes Exec Chairman, Kirby becomes CEO on 20 May 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oscar becomes Exec Chairman, Kirby becomes CEO on 20 May 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2020, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by BasedinCLE
A CEO who worked at HP/US/AA, so I'd be careful with what I wish for...

I'll admit I was surprised by the announcement of Hart becoming president. I know he was interim CEO while Oscar was out on medical leave, but I guess I just assumed the president title would stay with Kirby when he became CEO. That's not to say Hart isn't capable. It's just that his background is that of general counsel and the president position was separated from CEO because Oscar needed an airlines operations/network guy (i.e., Kirby). It does sound like Hart's brief as president will be different when to compared to Kirby's as president, though.

Anyway, best of luck to Messrs. Kirby and Hart.
He takes over the labor and government relations 'good cop' role from Oscar, freeing Kirby to be 'bad cop' - to make a gross generalization
EWR764 likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
He takes over the labor and government relations 'good cop' role from Oscar, freeing Kirby to be 'bad cop' - to make a gross generalization
..."worse" cop?

David
Old May 13, 2020, 12:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is not what Kirby is, or likely planning to do - Kirbyworld will continue unabated, if anything, it will get worse. That is what Baldanza taught his team after 9/11 - screw everyone and make their life miserable unless they pay up.
kirby is attempting to sicken or kill passengers with his little packed to the gills a319 hub to hub flights. He’s can’t be gone soon enough.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It’s been nearly five years since a CO guy has been president or CEO of United.
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Oscar was on CO’s BOD since 2004. He is CEO today.
Yes, I'm aware but I suppose we'll disagree on the point. To me, being an outside board member (which he was as he was leading CSX) means you are not an employee of that company and have no involvement with running the company.
The post you're "quoting" (I use the term loosely as you deliberately truncated it) was about Smisek, not Munoz. When you resort to that, it basically means you don't have an argument.
So we are up to date...Munoz transitioned from CO in the merger. He is a CO guy. He would have collaborated with Smisek in every board meeting at CO and later UCH.
UAL757222 likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:12 pm

So we are up to date...Munoz transitioned from CO in the merger. He is a CO guy. He would have collaborated with Smisek in every board meeting at CO and later UCH.
Saying Oscar isn’t from CO is the same disingenuous talk that Smisek wasn’t a “true” person from CO because he was so bad. He was there since 1995! And Oscar a board member picked by Bethune in 2004.

For whatever faults and reservations there are about him, at least Kirby is a fresh face from neither UA or ex-CO. Maybe he’ll bring a new perspective. Maybe.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by UAL757222
Saying Oscar isn’t from CO is the same disingenuous talk that Smisek wasn’t a “true” person from CO because he was so bad. He was there since 1995! And Oscar a board member picked by Bethune in 2004.

For whatever faults and reservations there are about him, at least Kirby is a fresh face from neither UA or ex-CO. Maybe he’ll bring a new perspective. Maybe.
Hope springs eternal but experience tells us otherwise.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:35 pm

The irony is that although Munoz is a CO guy I would prefer him to stay as CEO and find someone to run Ops with both heart and head. Or replace himself with similar. He has been a reasonable CEO.

Kirby packing in passengers on RJ equivalents in COVID environment is not an auspicious start.
Old May 13, 2020, 6:37 pm

Think about it this way : Kirby is throwing passes, Hail Mary passes, any kind of passes that may or may not stick. And if he is let go, he goes home with 20+ millions in his pocket. No need to even discuss his "qualifications". May have some, but maybe not running a large airline. Immaterial. Case closed.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:10 pm

Kirby will be just fine. A great mind and understanding that is needed in these times.
tuolumne likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 6:23 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by trk1
Kirby will be just fine. A great mind and understanding that is needed in these times.
It is nice to see people maintaining a fine sense of sarcasm in these parlous times
Old May 14, 2020, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by BasedinCLE

I'll admit I was surprised by the announcement of Hart becoming president. I know he was interim CEO while Oscar was out on medical leave, but I guess I just assumed the president title would stay with Kirby when he became CEO. .
Exactly. The employees should be outraged the titles weren't merged, the Executive team said they are doing everything they can to save the company and it's jobs. In good times that President package has to be around $10M, how many employees could that save? When and if UA comes out of this it will be significantly smaller but not apparently in the C suite.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by worldtrav
Exactly. The employees should be outraged the titles weren't merged, the Executive team said they are doing everything they can to save the company and it's jobs. In good times that President package has to be around $10M, how many employees could that save? When and if UA comes out of this it will be significantly smaller but not apparently in the C suite.
Hart is not taking a salary now, so jobs are being saved.
Old May 14, 2020, 12:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by worldtrav
....The employees should be outraged the titles weren't merged, .....
You may have missed
Hart assumes role of President following the Annual Meeting of Shareholders on May 20, 2020
Like Munoz and Kirby, Hart will forgo his salary as President. The company will not replace the role of Chief Administrative Officer.
Hart will no longer be getting a salary (until some point in the future) and the CAO position will not be replaced. So at least a reduction of 1 c-suite position.

more 8-K UA 15 May 2020
JaysonW likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 19, 2020 at 12:19 pm Reason: UA 8-K filing
Old May 14, 2020, 1:14 pm

Will the Presidents survive?

Eg President - California. I enjoy their periodic letters. Not sure what they do specifically.
Old May 14, 2020, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will the Presidents survive?

Eg President - California. I enjoy their periodic letters. Not sure what they do specifically.
Preside?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.