ANA Schedule Change; Rebooking United Ticket

Old Dec 4, 19, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former SPG Plat and AA EXP; Current SPG LT Gold and AA LT GLD
ANA Schedule Change; Rebooking United Ticket

I have a friend who's set to travel in a few months IAD-NRT-BKK. The IAD-NRT flight was operated by ANA with a UA flight number, but it has since been removed from the schedule. I called UA on his behalf, figuring it would be easy to get him rebooked IAD-PEK-BKK on UA and TG. Much to my surprise, they said they would not be able to do that, ostensibly because the fares are not combinable. The only non-ridiculous alternative they offered was an extra connection (IAD-ORD-NRT-BKK), but when I asked about changing from IAD to DCA (because it would now be an early morning flight), they said that wasn't possible as well, due to their "agreement with ANA".

Anyone have any advice, or are we completely at their mercy? What's the point of an alliance if they can't put you on a partner airline in the case of cancellations?

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 19, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Transiting China does not seem to be permissible by the routing rules, but an IAD to DCA change would be completely reasonable. All of the reasons given by the agent sound completely made-up; I would HUCA to get a better agent. However, the BKK fares are really finicky so it would help to look at the fare and routing rules.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 6:40 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat; Hyatt Discoverist; Marriott Titanium; Hertz Pres Cirlce
I think this is a HUACA moment. Call back and check with another agent. UA has to rebook your friend since the IAD-NRT ostensibly changed to IAD-HND. See if they can put them on an HND-BKK flight or get on the UA flight IAD-NRT but not that changes to IAD-HND sometime next Feb or March.

Search this Thread