Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PP Pricing AKL-SFO-LHR more than Polaris. - why?

Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k 2.5mm NZ Elite IHG

I want to fly AKL-SFO-LHR return in late March. I want to book PP to be sure of a good seat in case my upgrade to Polaris fails. The price for PP exceeds that of Polaris!
Any thoughts?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FU24
...The price for PP exceeds that of Polaris!
Any thoughts?
That can happen in airline pricing.

Domestic unrestricted Y (and even as low as M fares) is often more than Domestic discountF

Availability of PP in O fare with Polaris in P fare can make this happen.

Note the "cheaper" fare is likely to have more restrictions on change / refundability
writerguyfl and wxguy like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Buy Polaris?

It's hard to say anything else without inventory counts, or even what the possible prices are.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
@findark is right. Or, a misfiled fare that you should jump on quickly.

But in all likelihood it's because only "O" is available for PP and "P" is open for Polaris where P can be cheaper than O. Of course, "O" is usually fully flexible while "P" is usually very restricted.

-RM
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I almost bought a PP fare that was lower than either Economy or Basic Economy recently. IND-CDG for $837 r/t, if I remember right. Rather regret letting it go by.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That can happen in airline pricing.

Domestic unrestricted Y (and even as low as M fares) is often more than Domestic discountF

Availability of PP in O fare with Polaris in P fare can make this happen.

Note the "cheaper" fare is likely to have more restrictions on change / refundability
Heres the problem. AkL -SFO = NZ$ 3200 return in PP AKL-LHR= NZ$15,847 return in PP. SFO- LHR =NZ$2839
So if I marry the 2 airfares I get NZ$6039 vs NZ$15847. Outrageous.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Heres the problem. AkL -SFO = NZ$ 3200 return in PP AKL-LHR= NZ$15,847 return in PP. SFO- LHR =NZ$2839
So if I marry the 2 airfares I get NZ$6039 vs NZ$15847. Outrageous.
This sounds like a fare combinability issue.
Are all these flights UA operated (not UA flight numbers but actually UA operated)
What are the fare classes in each case?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Oh, I see the issue. United does not publish a Premium Economy fare between AKL and LHR. Furthermore, I cannot plate AKL-SFO-LHR on a single ticket with UA PE fares, as there is no combinable unrestricted fare on the AKL-SFO sector.

Fares between two remote non-US points unfortunately receive little attention from US carriers. You're probably going to have to pick a different option (both Economy and Business fares are filed for AKL-LHR).

Actually, SFO-LHR has no end-on-end legal PE fares either. Part of this is also a botched rollout of full fare PE, presumably because they don't really expect people to buy it.

Further eta. I can ticket on LH stock onto the UA flights using the LH codeshares. LH has PE fares. Technically the LH fares can be plated on UA so... I get NZD 5,470 as all the cheaper LH fares require routing the other way.
onthesam likes this.

Last edited by findark; Dec 4, 2019 at 3:29 pm
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
Oh, I see the issue. United does not publish a Premium Economy fare between AKL and LHR. Furthermore, I cannot plate AKL-SFO-LHR on a single ticket with UA PE fares, as there is no combinable unrestricted fare on the AKL-SFO sector.

Fares between two remote non-US points unfortunately receive little attention from US carriers. You're probably going to have to pick a different option (both Economy and Business fares are filed for AKL-LHR).

Actually, SFO-LHR has no end-on-end legal PE fares either. Part of this is also a botched rollout of full fare PE, presumably because they don't really expect people to buy it.

Further eta. I can ticket on LH stock onto the UA flights using the LH codeshares. LH has PE fares. Technically the LH fares can be plated on UA so... I get NZD 5,470 as all the cheaper LH fares require routing the other way.
Thanks Findark for seeing the issue and suggesting a possible solution.. Actually the route is very popular and its volume is growing as NZ's roots are England. Its a wonder that UA's marketing Dept does not not try and build market share as both legs of the journey are so long that PP would have great appeal.Perceptive reply I am going to try playing with.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Findark for seeing the issue and suggesting a possible solution.. Actually the route is very popular and its volume is growing as NZ's roots are England. Its a wonder that UA's marketing Dept does not not try and build market share as both legs of the journey are so long that PP would have great appeal.Perceptive reply I am going to try playing with.
I'm sure if you actually had the ability to ring the desk of the people who write those fares, they would get on it. AKL-LHR is likely something United frequently forgets exists as a citypair they serve, since 99.9% of their traffic is going to have a US O&D.
jsloan and Xyzzy like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure if you actually had the ability to ring the desk of the people who write those fares, they would get on it. AKL-LHR is likely something United frequently forgets exists as a citypair they serve, since 99.9% of their traffic is going to have a US O&D.
Agreed -- and, while I agree that NZ-UK is a viable market, I'm not sure why you'd connect through the US to fly it, considering that AKL-SIN-LHR is only 30 miles further than AKL-LAX-LHR, and AKL-TYO-LHR is actually 400 miles shorter than AKL-LAX-LHR. Making a wholly unnecessary trip through customs and US immigration seems like a pain best avoided if possible.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
Agreed -- and, while I agree that NZ-UK is a viable market, I'm not sure why you'd connect through the US to fly it, considering that AKL-SIN-LHR is only 30 miles further than AKL-LAX-LHR, and AKL-TYO-LHR is actually 400 miles shorter than AKL-LAX-LHR. Making a wholly unnecessary trip through customs and US immigration seems like a pain best avoided if possible.
It's more of a tradition for some Kiwis, and maybe even more so now that Air New Zealand announced their cancellation of LAX-LHR (Oct 2020).

The end of the LAX - LHR route
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
It's probably because UA can extract higher fares selling US-AKL and US-LHR separately than a AKL-US-LHR ticket. That marginal revenue is probably not worth UA to chase after and rather leave it for SQ, CX, CI, TG, etc.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hirohito888
It's probably because UA can extract higher fares selling US-AKL and US-LHR separately than a AKL-US-LHR ticket. That marginal revenue is probably not worth UA to chase after and rather leave it for SQ, CX, CI, TG, etc.
They publish Economy and Business fares though. It's very clearly an oversight - when they rolled out PE a human had to add the PE fares to every city pair. Clearly those humans forgot that UA sells fares between AKL and LHR. The same is also true for SYD-LHR.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

They publish Economy and Business fares though. It's very clearly an oversight - when they rolled out PE a human had to add the PE fares to every city pair. Clearly those humans forgot that UA sells fares between AKL and LHR. The same is also true for SYD-LHR.
What may not be appreciated by those who are not ANZACs is that Australia and NZ still have huge ties to UK and Europe and the amount of thru traffic via either US or Asia is considerable.
Why fly United ? BIS and upgrades [Plus Points}.If you cannot get a thru fare it makes it very difficult to upgrade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.