Would you bother making a segment run?

Old Dec 4, 19, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Would you bother making a segment run?

I've already re-qualified for 1K for next year on segments. I just booked my last planned flights for the year and I'm slated to end up on 148.5 PQS. As such, by making one additional gratuitous round-trip to anywhere before Dec 31st, I can cross 150 PQS and thereby earn 1 extra GPU -- or, as I should say as of today, 20 extra PP. The thing is, I won't have used all of my 2019 GPUs, and I don't plan on doing any international travel in 2020, so it's unclear whether getting 20 extra PP is really worth a few hours of my time. Interested in what others might think?
Old Dec 4, 19, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
I am in the same boat with 1k miles short of another GPU or rather 40 Plus Points. Deciding against it since I have trouble using them every year and I don't see that changing. Sounds like you are in the same place.
AugustusM likes this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rowenb View Post
I've already re-qualified for 1K for next year on segments. I just booked my last planned flights for the year and I'm slated to end up on 148.5 PQS. As such, by making one additional gratuitous round-trip to anywhere before Dec 31st, I can cross 150 PQS and thereby earn 1 extra GPU -- or, as I should say as of today, 20 extra PP. The thing is, I won't have used all of my 2019 GPUs, and I don't plan on doing any international travel in 2020, so it's unclear whether getting 20 extra PP is really worth a few hours of my time. Interested in what others might think?
1 GPU is worth 40PP, not 20.

Maybe consider updating your last trip to a higher fare class to get the required PQS to hit the target? Otherwise, I would personally book something like ORD-MKE and back (shortest possible trip) and get the extra PPs.
Old Dec 4, 19, 10:06 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by rowenb View Post
I thought GPUs were 40 points. Could be worth it if you want to take advantage of the confirmed upgrade option rolling out next year.

Search this Thread