Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade list showing before T-24? (new display??)

Old Dec 4, 19, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA

Encountered this on flight that’s about 48 hours out. An IT bug that’s helpful? As I’m not checked in but on the list this isn’t showing me because of that.
Old Dec 4, 19, 5:09 am

Programs: United Gold MM, Marriott LTPP
Could be some folks with an unusually long connection?
Old Dec 4, 19, 5:26 am

I noticed this also for some flights next year. Would be an awfully long connection of two months!
Old Dec 4, 19, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Encountered this on flight thatís about 48 hours out. An IT bug thatís helpful? As Iím not checked in but on the list this isnít showing me because of that.
I think it's intentional, either to goose Skip the Waitlist usage or to convince people to buy-up.

On Monday, I noticed that the airport flight status screens now have checkmarks for "checked in" on the upgrade list that was displayed. I didn't see anybody without a checkmark, but I doubt that they built that functionality without a purpose.
Old Dec 4, 19, 7:11 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Gold, CET 7*
Just checked Friday 06DEC19 UA1910 IAD-LAS and it looks like the upgrade list has every Silver and above listed. Both my name and my same PNR traveling companion are on the list without being checked in. Doesn't look like I'll be getting CPUd unless there's an equipment swap to a plane with dozens of first class seats

I checked a 31DEC19 flight using the phone date change "trick" and I'm already on that upgrade list too.

It's nice to know where I stand well in advance, so I wouldn't mind if this change is permanent.
Old Dec 4, 19, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.55 MM
Originally Posted by Tarpie View Post
Just checked Friday 06DEC19 UA1910 IAD-LAS and it looks like the upgrade list has every Silver and above listed. Both my name and my same PNR traveling companion are on the list without being checked in. Doesn't look like I'll be getting CPUd unless there's an equipment swap to a plane with dozens of first class seats

I checked a 31DEC19 flight using the phone date change "trick" and I'm already on that upgrade list too.

It's nice to know where I stand well in advance, so I wouldn't mind if this change is permanent.
And while I am also on a Dec 6 flight and can also see all of the people on the PP and Polaris upgrade lists, I am not on that list. Le sigh.
Old Dec 4, 19, 8:28 am

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
I see the upgrade list for a flight for tomorrow and no one has checked in but shows my name. I am going to compare the list at T-24 to see if the list changes based on time of check-in as historically this has been the case. It is showing CPU. It may very well be showing those using PP.

I am fine with the transparency as it will hopefully stop folks from calling in when they see PZ>0 and jumping the queue.
Old Dec 4, 19, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.55 MM
Originally Posted by big V View Post
And while I am also on a Dec 6 flight and can also see all of the people on the PP and Polaris upgrade lists, I am not on that list. Le sigh.
Update: This appears to be a result of that upgrade request dropping off the reservation. I called, had it reinstated, and not only can see my name on the u/g list, but am in the #1 slot! May I stay that way.
Old Dec 4, 19, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
I see the upgrade list for a flight for tomorrow and no one has checked in but shows my name. I am going to compare the list at T-24 to see if the list changes based on time of check-in as historically this has been the case. It is showing CPU. It may very well be showing those using PP.

I am fine with the transparency as it will hopefully stop folks from calling in when they see PZ>0 and jumping the queue.
Huh. I would expect this to get fixed quickly. Meanwhile, I got an SFO-EWR flight status randomly (Friday's UA295 SFO-EWR) and cannot make heads or tails of the upgrade list:

1-5 on the PE list are 11-15 on the J list, but 6 is 23, 7 is not at all (maybe plausible so far), 8-9 are 1 and 2 (what??), and 11 (not shown) is 24 on the J list.

Perhaps more than just one thing is broken.
Old Dec 4, 19, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post

I am also curious to see how things change as we check-in.

However, if I see my name at #10 and PZ > 0, but less than 10 (as it will be!), then you bet your bottom dollar I'm calling in and removing the UG request so I can place it again...
Old Dec 4, 19, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Perhaps more than just one thing is broken.
UA rollout new IT without adequate testing? Never!
SS255 and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I think it's intentional, either to goose Skip the Waitlist usage or to convince people to buy-up.

On Monday, I noticed that the airport flight status screens now have checkmarks for "checked in" on the upgrade list that was displayed. I didn't see anybody without a checkmark, but I doubt that they built that functionality without a purpose.
It's not going to goose StW usage, since that has to be requested 30 days in advance (I think, or do you just have to book the flight that early?) and 99.99% of the folks out there don't know the hack to see where you are that far in advance. Most folks will already be eager enough to use StW based on getting stuck at #10 on the waitlist for the umpteenth time.

I do, however, share you intrigue about the checked in checkmark. For this, I wonder if they are working toward only one upgrade list vs. two and replace the checkin time as a tiebreaker with time the upgrade was requested? It would square with the ability to assign upgrades yourself day-of. I always thought check-in time was kind of silly -- as it allows the guy who got on the waitlist at T-36, and had a connecting united flight at T-30 to hop over the guy who requested months ago and couldnt' check in until T-6 because he was on a partner flight or something silly.
Old Dec 4, 19, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

That's actually an interesting point. I'm surprised they think they giving that much insight into inventory is worth the tradeoff, especially since they started hiding CPU. Maybe cleared upgrades will quietly vanish in the new system?
Old Dec 4, 19, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
No doubt UA will be removing this ASAP. But this list is also appearing for CPU on domestic flights. For example my upcoming flight to IAH on Friday has J9 but has been PN0 PZ0 since I booked. I'm showing as #11 of 33 so far with 10 open. Of course, #1 loser

EDIT: I decided to apply PlusPoints to see what happens to me on the waitlist. Immediately I moved to #3 of 33. I'm sure there are GS ahead of me so I'm not surprised. Guess I'll keep the PlusPoints applied as I have a ton of them expiring in January anyway.

-RM
Air Houston likes this.

Last edited by RobOnLI; Dec 4, 19 at 10:57 am
Old Dec 4, 19, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
This has been there since they introduced the new format of GIDs (gate info displays). It is a huge pet peeve of mine. You can't appear on that list unless you're checked in and to us people who have been conditioned by UA, a checkmark means the upgrade cleared. Well, at least it used to.

It's an utterly useless info display item that is confusing, takes up real estate and forces them to use a smaller font that's harder to read for some folks.

-RM
drewguy likes this.

Search this Thread