Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade list showing before T-24? -- new display?? buggy??

Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade list showing before T-24? -- new display?? buggy??

Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
This has been there since they introduced the new format of GIDs (gate info displays). It is a huge pet peeve of mine. You can't appear on that list unless you're checked in and to us people who have been conditioned by UA, a checkmark means the upgrade cleared. Well, at least it used to.
Same here! I was hopelessly buried on a recent EWR-ORD, and spotted a checkmark next to my name, which gave me a momentary shock that somehow, I had cleared! But then I glanced to the left of my name and saw "19." Oh well.

I agree, it seems extraneous, visually. But it also is helpful in those rare cases when you're #1 , with the cabin booked full, but checked in to -1. In those instances, I now know exactly who I'm rooting for to miss the flight!
Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
This has been there since they introduced the new format of GIDs (gate info displays). It is a huge pet peeve of mine. You can't appear on that list unless you're checked in and to us people who have been conditioned by UA, a checkmark means the upgrade cleared. Well, at least it used to.

It's an utterly useless info display item that is confusing, takes up real estate and forces them to use a smaller font that's harder to read for some folks.

-RM
I agree, this has been bothering me. I noticed it just before the Thanksgiving holiday week.

They made the useless, redundant information (check in status) visible and larger; while they made the key information (upgrade status and booked count) smaller and more obscurely placed.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Huh. I would expect this to get fixed quickly. Meanwhile, I got an SFO-EWR flight status randomly (Friday's UA295 SFO-EWR) and cannot make heads or tails of the upgrade list:

1-5 on the PE list are 11-15 on the J list, but 6 is 23, 7 is not at all (maybe plausible so far), 8-9 are 1 and 2 (what??), and 11 (not shown) is 24 on the J list.

Perhaps more than just one thing is broken.
Could be a mix of revenue customers waitlisting for both cabins, revenue customers only waitlisting for one, and staff doing the same two things.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA GS
I really really really hope they will let this stay. I would love to see where I am on the cpu list to know whether it’s worth applying an instrument to move up. For that reason I expect they won’t.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I saw this earlier today. Are we seeing the "hidden list" (ie "Suk, K." thru "And, P." would not normally show on list if not checked in)? This is for tonight's OGG-Laxer.

Edit: just curious about it - I'm not on the list because I'm already up front w/ 20 PlusPoints

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 4, 2019 at 1:40 pm
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I saw this earlier today. Are we seeing the "hidden list" (ie "Suk, K." thru "And, P." would not normally show on list if not checked in)? This is for tonight's OGG-LAXer
Given the original mechanics of the hidden list, I think the actual answer is somewhat more complicated. The old visible list was more or less a true standby list, used only at the gate and only populated as pax checked in. It was completely separate from any prior list(s). I have a suspicion they have changed quite a bit about the backend of upgrade processing, but we shall see.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Given the original mechanics of the hidden list, I think the actual answer is somewhat more complicated. The old visible list was more or less a true standby list, used only at the gate and only populated as pax checked in. It was completely separate from any prior list(s). I have a suspicion they have changed quite a bit about the backend of upgrade processing, but we shall see.
That's what I'm thinking. The hidden list may be "the list" now, given the ability to add to the upgrade waitlist within 24 hours with the dawn of plus points.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
This is super weird: I was #2 on the waitlist before I checked in. Now it looks like my name is duplicated. There are too many duplicates to be a coincidence on PP-Day 1.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SS255
This is super weird: I was #2 on the waitlist before I checked in. Now it looks like my name is duplicated. There are too many duplicates to be a coincidence on PP-Day 1.
Hmm.. could they be showing the union of the hidden and visible lists?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM
I did the same for a flight tomorrow and I could see my jump - I then cleared with PPoints - hope they keep this
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Hmm.. could they be showing the union of the hidden and visible lists?
True! It will be interesting to see how duplicates split. I’m waitlisted on a GS GPU, so I’m a prime candidate for two different positions based upon the published rules.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Originally Posted by SS255
I, too, was appearing twice on the u/g list this afternoon. Now I am only on there once. (Still at pole position, happily with now 8 instead of 4 Polaris seats available!) Seems they are cleaning up the dupes.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA GS
I’m curious to know if they fixed the need to split a reservation to stay waitlisted. Any reports?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA: 1K. Hilton: Diamond. Marriot: Gold. AA: Gold
Originally Posted by Tarpie
Just checked Friday 06DEC19 UA1910 IAD-LAS and it looks like the upgrade list has every Silver and above listed. Both my name and my same PNR traveling companion are on the list without being checked in. Doesn't look like I'll be getting CPUd unless there's an equipment swap to a plane with dozens of first class seats

I checked a 31DEC19 flight using the phone date change "trick" and I'm already on that upgrade list too.

It's nice to know where I stand well in advance, so I wouldn't mind if this change is permanent.
What is the phone date change "trick"??
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, CZR 7*, MGM Plat
United only lets you check flight status within a couple days of a flight. So today 12/4 it won't let you check the status of a flight on 12/31. But if you set the date on your phone to 12/31 and then open the United app it will let you check the status of 12/31 flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.