Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade list showing before T-24? -- new display?? buggy??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade list showing before T-24? -- new display?? buggy??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Plat
Had 4 flights this week. From my experience, those on the list, upgraded in the sweep, showed as upgraded on the list with seat assignment, gate upgrades did not show on the app or gate list on the TV.

My last flight of the day yesterday saw 2 people upgrade in the sweep with 2 seats left open in the cabin. I was number 1 on the list. Was upgraded by the gate approx 20 min before boarding. At that time, my name and #2 no longer appeared on the app upgrade list OR the list at the gate. Checked app after boarding closed and only upgraded passengers on the list were those upgraded between 24 and 3 hours before flight. My name and #2 were missing.

On a different flight, had quite a few people invited to F from y. Gate agent came on board with new boarding passes and got everyone moved. None of the 4 people that moved forward were on the app list after door closed.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Able to see the upgrade list populated with over 30+ folks well over 36 hours ahead of my EWR-DEN flight - doesn’t seem right...
Old Dec 15, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Able to see the upgrade list populated with over 30+ folks well over 36 hours ahead of my EWR-DEN flight - doesn’t seem right...
What do you mean? On United.com, the upgrade standby list also has check marks for pax who have checked in. This feature is not available on App.
All mom-pop Premier members appear on the upgrade standby list long before T-36 h.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Kmxu
What do you mean? On United.com, the upgrade standby list also has check marks for pax who have checked in. This feature is not available on App.
All mom-pop Premier members appear on the upgrade standby list long before T-36 h.
Flight status now shows all Premier members with a reservation even if they haven’t checked in yet.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Flight status now shows all Premier members with a reservation even if they haven’t checked in yet.
Looking at UA1 for Wednesday (T-60!!!) says "list includes all upgrade eligible customers", with 35 people on it. I'm assuming this is everybody who has requested an upgrade?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi
Looking at UA1 for Wednesday (T-60!!!) says "list includes all upgrade eligible customers", with 35 people on it. I'm assuming this is everybody who has requested an upgrade?
To whatever extent the list is actually working, that's correct.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
To whatever extent the list is actually working, that's correct.
Hah ... indeed (btw, the previous poster said all "Premier" customers, wasn't sure if it was that or everybody who has requested an upgrade).
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
It may still have some bugs, but I think they're moving in the right direction. I like being able to see the list before check-in. I do occasionally get upgrades, but this feature will enable me to better know if it might be a good idea to purchase an upgrade if I really want that seat.

By using the date trick on my phone, I just checked a flight in March where my wife and I are waitlisted for I (domestic portion of an international I-class trip), and sure enough we show up as #1 and #2 , with no one else on the list. Kind of a cool trick!
Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
It may still have some bugs, but I think they're moving in the right direction. I like being able to see the list before check-in. I do occasionally get upgrades, but this feature will enable me to better know if it might be a good idea to purchase an upgrade if I really want that seat.

By using the date trick on my phone, I just checked a flight in March where my wife and I are waitlisted for I (domestic portion of an international I-class trip), and sure enough we show up as #1 and #2 , with no one else on the list. Kind of a cool trick!
But couldn't you presumably sit at #1 and #2 and be bypassed by others on the list if I never opens up but PZ does?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
But couldn't you presumably sit at #1 and #2 and be bypassed by others on the list if I never opens up but PZ does?
Sure. I could be bypassed by a lot of people who haven't yet booked their flights. It's nice to know, however, that no one else with status has booked yet. And as I said before, this is a route that often does open up "I" inventory late in the game. I actually don't know if we show up on the upgrade list because of the waitlist or because of the Silver status.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:22 pm

Sure. I could be bypassed by a lot of people who haven't yet booked their flights. It's nice to know, however, that no one else with status has booked yet. And as I said before, this is a route that often does open up "I" inventory late in the game. I actually don't know if we show up on the upgrade list because of the waitlist or because of the Silver status.
idk how this helps, given how quickly things can change ... but if it makes you happy
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

This is very optimistic of you.
IMO, Anything UA does regarding the upgrade list will be to THEIR benefit, not ours.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chavala
IMO, Anything UA does regarding the upgrade list will be to THEIR benefit, not ours.
Yes, they have done similar before (telling you how many "upgrade eligible" pax are on your flight) and the intention is to incent pax to buy-up by letting them know they have no chance of clearing the upgrade. It is thus an anti-upgrade strategy by the airline - they want to sell the seats, not upgrade you into them.

And as numerous reports confirm, the "list" UA is currently publishing is wildly inaccurate.
jsloan and chavala like this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
It is thus an anti-upgrade strategy by the airline - they want to sell the seats, not upgrade you into them.
Yep, complete with passengers coming to FT to crow about how they "beat the system" by paying for the "cheap" upgrade that they weren't going to get for free. Which, in many cases -- especially domestically, and with the p.s. routes more-or-less excluded -- is basically the same as the difference between buying Y and F in the first place.
benewr likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yep, complete with passengers coming to FT to crow about how they "beat the system" by paying for the "cheap" upgrade that they weren't going to get for free. Which, in many cases -- especially domestically, and with the p.s. routes more-or-less excluded -- is basically the same as the difference between buying Y and F in the first place.
I've fallen prey to that "get them before their gone" thinking by buying the upsell more than once. Modern marketing is extremely sophisticated at exploiting known chinks in our reasoning abilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.