Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade list showing before T-24? -- new display?? buggy??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade list showing before T-24? -- new display?? buggy??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WakeTurbulence
The upgrade list now displays all upgrade eligible passengers, not just those that have checked in. With that said, 81 people to/from MCO does seem a little high but not unheard of.
Makes sense, although for a 9pm flight that seems high
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
My prediction: not all those on the upgrade list will be upgraded.
iluv2fly, jsloan, drewguy and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
It’s also that time of year we see the highest number of elites as those that have yet to requalify for status this year don’t get canned until 1/31 which might have some effect as well.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K/AF Plat/Marriott Titanium/Hertz PC (who isn't?)/National Exec Elite/CFA Signature
Originally Posted by SS255
I don't recall anybody posting this yet: I was #2 on the upgrade list from IAH-EZE last night. There was one open seat. #1 dropped off the upgrade list entirely, and Polaris showed full. I was at #1 on the upgrade list, which was where I ultimately died.

So....it's looking like gate upgrades are dropping off the upgrade list entirely once the gate upgrades are processed.

The cleared standbys did show up on the standby list, with seat assignments next to their names.
i can confirm. Just battlefield cleared after sitting at #1. “Checked in” went up by one and my name just disappeared from the list. #2 became #1 and that’s where the list now starts.

It looks like the new display will no longer show those who cleared, whether before T-24 or after.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Gate45
i can confirm. Just battlefield cleared after sitting at #1. “Checked in” went up by one and my name just disappeared from the list. #2 became #1 and that’s where the list now starts.

It looks like the new display will no longer show those who cleared, whether before T-24 or after.
My wife and another passenger were upgraded at the gate yesterday while I was just after check in. All three of us showed up on the upgraded list and still do today.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it looks like the new display will no longer show those who cleared, whether before T-24 or after.
I would hesitate to make any proclamations about future behavior. I suspect that whatever changes they were trying to make have failed rather spectacularly, and that current behavior should not be seen as a strong indication of the actual design requirements.

I can't imagine anyone would set up a system where they have an ordered list of passengers awaiting an upgrade but then suppress the names of the cleared passengers. All that's going to do is create confusion: "Where'd I go?" It would be much easier fo them to suppress the list entirely if that were their goal. Therefore, I strongly suspect that this is just one of the (seemingly many) current defects with the system.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Well it's not 100% broken.. applied some PP to a reservation and watched a Silver on W fare jump from last to first on the list
jsloan and chavala like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: Continental
My flight on 12/11 SEA-SFO #214 shows 64 people on the upgrade list prior to OLCI.
As a 1K with PP applied, I am #9
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT

The list DOES show who cleared after T-24h (aka when OLCI opens). The reason you didn't show up is because you're GS and you pulled from "PN" class which will not show cleared on that list.

Over a year ago when United removed from the list the people who were cleared before check-in opened, GS who were gate upgraded also did not appear in the list in most situations. I'm pretty sure that behavior is still happening.

Yesterday I was gate upgraded on a flight (I was #1 for 1). As a 1K I showed as cleared the second they put me in the only open seat in first class.

-RM
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium elite, Hilton Diamond
As a follow up to this,
Just boarding this delayed flight now,
Counted 8 global services, and 25 1K members boarding
Most I've ever seen!

Originally Posted by sutho
Was just looking at my upcoming flight from MCO to EWR in tuesday night at 9pm (UA279),
Already showing on app 81 people on upgrade list,
Surely this is not correct?

Also, it looked like all united flights to EWR are alot more expensive than normal, is there an event taking place somewhere?

Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
The list DOES show who cleared after T-24h (aka when OLCI opens). The reason you didn't show up is because you're GS and you pulled from "PN" class which will not show cleared on that list.

Over a year ago when United removed from the list the people who were cleared before check-in opened, GS who were gate upgraded also did not appear in the list in most situations. I'm pretty sure that behavior is still happening.

Yesterday I was gate upgraded on a flight (I was #1 for 1). As a 1K I showed as cleared the second they put me in the only open seat in first class.

-RM
I think there are some inaccuracies in this description, but with the new list's mode of operation I really don't know what should be happening for the GID boards and website.

Previously, with the most recent former iteration, and/or currently, anyone who was upgraded before that person checked in did not show on the list with a checkmark, and anyone who was upgraded after did show. It did not matter what time (T-24, T-3, etc.), nor did it matter what status / upgrade bucket — only checked in or not.

For my one experience gate upgrades after the new list, I did still show in the app as upgraded (checkmark) once the agent pushed it, but I did not get to see what the board or website showed. I believe the website just removes the name from the list and bumps everyone up a position. The reason I showed in the app as upgraded was because I was, perforce, checked in. The same happens for GS, but as things go, they are more likely to clear before check-in.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:15 am

Likely folks going home from American Society of Hematology (ASH) annual meeting.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K/AF Plat/Marriott Titanium/Hertz PC (who isn't?)/National Exec Elite/CFA Signature
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

-RM
Got it. Thanks for explaining.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by sutho
As a follow up to this,
Just boarding this delayed flight now,
Counted 8 global services, and 25 1K members boarding
Most I've ever seen!
There must have been some sort of convention/national meeting in town... That amount of OPM traffic cannot be the norm ex-mickey.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by fumje
I think there are some inaccuracies in this description, but with the new list's mode of operation I really don't know what should be happening for the GID boards and website.

Previously, with the most recent former iteration, and/or currently, anyone who was upgraded before that person checked in did not show on the list with a checkmark, and anyone who was upgraded after did show. It did not matter what time (T-24, T-3, etc.), nor did it matter what status / upgrade bucket — only checked in or not.

For my one experience gate upgrades after the new list, I did still show in the app as upgraded (checkmark) once the agent pushed it, but I did not get to see what the board or website showed. I believe the website just removes the name from the list and bumps everyone up a position. The reason I showed in the app as upgraded was because I was, perforce, checked in. The same happens for GS, but as things go, they are more likely to clear before check-in.
I have seen MANY situations of GS being gate upgraded and not appearing on the upgrade list in the mobile app. They simply disappear from the list but never appear with a checkmark next to their name. And I can only prove this for people I have seen holding GS boarding passes, checking their name against the list and then seeing them get upgraded as the booked/checked-in goes up by 1 or 2.

However, all 1Ks and lower have always appeared on the mobile app list after their upgrade clears.

Again, in my experience. And since I replied to an OP who is GS, I'm pretty sure this is what happened to them.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.