Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade list showing before T-24? -- new display?? buggy??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade list showing before T-24? -- new display?? buggy??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:50 pm

S
Originally Posted by fumje
So is STA, M on the premium plus waitlist (and further down than ALB, L)?

Also, can you clarify what each of your 'pp' / 'PP' means?

Sorry, the first pp was points plus the second was premier plus. So a GS sponsored upgrades for them, on the business upgrade list they are in front of Rav, v and sie, c, but on the premium plus both of those initials are ahead of them.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:31 pm

UA2081 T-48 hours showing 40 passengers on the upgrade list. I am Platinum and my name is not on there. I have a campaign on my PNR. If this is not just some bug then I am curious how they are handling companion upgrades with this change.

Was always annoyed that you have to split a PNR to join the visible upgrade list. Now it seems like if you have a companion you can’t be upgraded until after checking in by having a agent adding your companion to the upgrade list. Would be very upsetting if that is the case and just another reason to leave United as they gut MilagePlus.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by briantoy84
Example below- I am "Toy, B" with a PremiumPlus ticket, and I have a MUA to Biz. How am I behind "FOR, T" & "STE, R" if they are also waitlisted for Premium Plus. No one has been confirmed from either list yet. Aren't those with Premium Plus supposed to be processed ahead of those holding Economy tickets? So wouldn't/shouldn't they appear below me?
There are three possibilities, and I don't think there's enough information currently available to distinguish between them:

1 - the Y passengers are GS, and they have priority over non-GS passengers with P+ tickets
2 - those two passengers actually have paid P+ tickets, but they're showing as upgraded; this has been happening since they introduced P+, and it's been extremely confusing.
3 - the data are garbage

I wouldn't rule out #3 , as there have been a whole lot of confusing upgrade lists in the last couple of days. One hopes that the upgrades are actually being processed in the published order, but I'm not sure how we'd honestly know.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by jsloan
There are three possibilities, and I don't think there's enough information currently available to distinguish between them:

1 - the Y passengers are GS, and they have priority over non-GS passengers with P+ tickets
2 - those two passengers actually have paid P+ tickets, but they're showing as upgraded; this has been happening since they introduced P+, and it's been extremely confusing.
3 - the data are garbage

I wouldn't rule out #3 , as there have been a whole lot of confusing upgrade lists in the last couple of days. One hopes that the upgrades are actually being processed in the published order, but I'm not sure how we'd honestly know.
#2 seems difficult, since the bug you are referring to (paid PP showing up as upgraded) would mean they should be *invisible* on the upgrade list for PP -- they would be on the cleared list, not the waiting *to be* cleared. If they did clear, they would have seat assignments, which they do not. I guess one way to tell is at T-24 and see if the seat assignment magically appear.

#1 *may* make sense, given relative priority of PN vs PZ, but I can almost assure you that does not translate to the battlefield based on my observations with PP and being almost always at the top as a 1K in R. That could be a factor of all the other GS already being UG, but....

Remember back when United talked about looking at the folks who hadn't upgraded in a while and trying to throw them a bone? "surprise and delight" -- but in this case probably manipulating the UG list? Could it be that? <I don't believe so, but just throwing it out there>

As you say, it's a really really weird list. I would love to be a fly on the wall @UNITED IT while watching them work out what's what.

<edit> here is a thought... What about #2, but is a non GS and is using sponsored "GPUs" from a GS? For business, there is the PN/PZ thing and may (would?) appear higher. But for PP, there is only RN, and no distinctive bucket between GS and 1K instruments. So would be lower down based on the persons' actual status? I'm guessing the order would have to change upon checkin, but...
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by ryman554
#2 seems difficult, since the bug you are referring to (paid PP showing up as upgraded) would mean they should be *invisible* on the upgrade list for PP -- they would be on the cleared list, not the waiting *to be* cleared. If they did clear, they would have seat assignments, which they do not. I guess one way to tell is at T-24 and see if the seat assignment magically appear.

#1 *may* make sense, given relative priority of PN vs PZ, but I can almost assure you that does not translate to the battlefield based on my observations with PP and being almost always at the top as a 1K in R. That could be a factor of all the other GS already being UG, but....

Remember back when United talked about looking at the folks who hadn't upgraded in a while and trying to throw them a bone? "surprise and delight" -- but in this case probably manipulating the UG list? Could it be that? <I don't believe so, but just throwing it out there>

As you say, it's a really really weird list. I would love to be a fly on the wall @UNITED IT while watching them work out what's what.

<edit> here is a thought... What about #2 , but is a non GS and is using sponsored "GPUs" from a GS? For business, there is the PN/PZ thing and may (would?) appear higher. But for PP, there is only RN, and no distinctive bucket between GS and 1K instruments. So would be lower down based on the persons' actual status? I'm guessing the order would have to change upon checkin, but...
Hmm that thought at the end would make sense in my scenario I posted above.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right; in order for that hypothesis to be correct, this would have to be an intermediate state.

We shouldn't discount the possibility that UA may be intentionally making changes. I suspect that they might prefer to have GS in Y ahead of 1K in R, and if that wasn't happening at the gate before, that might have been considered a defect.

Yeah, I don't see any way for Surprise and Delight to work other than manipulating the upgrade order, but I have no idea if this is how they'd do that.

<edit> here is a thought... What about #2 , but is a non GS and is using sponsored "GPUs" from a GS? For business, there is the PN/PZ thing and may (would?) appear higher. But for PP, there is only RN, and no distinctive bucket between GS and 1K instruments. So would be lower down based on the persons' actual status? I'm guessing the order would have to change upon checkin, but...
That's as good a guess as any...
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Not sure if this is the proper place to post this, but I made a request for "IN" class on a SFO-PPT route a few weeks ago. The flight is not until May.

Thanks to this thread, I learned the "change the date" trick for the app. It shows that my wife and I are #5 and #6 (behind what appeals a family of four, probably using PlusPoints). There are 48 seats in J and only 7 booked so far.

My 1K status runs out next month, and I'll drop to lowly silver. My understanding is that if I don't change the reservation, my IN class upgrade request will remain valid - even as a silver.

With that said, I was surprised to see my wife and I's names on the upgrade list at all as I thought we would be on a separate waitlist somewhere. If IN class space never opens up, do we just fall off the list at t-24 or something like that?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Just got a response from UA Twitter on this (I asked them to confirm why someone with a PE seat is at bottom of list below someone on standby for PE:

Thank you for sending it over. We appreciate your patience. For United Upgrade priority on United Premium Plus, we first process United Polaris business class or United Business waitlists for all members who have purchased United Premium Plus seats, using the same priority order that applies to all upgrades. We’ll then process waitlists for members with United Economy seats. We've checked this with the appropriate team and was advised that there are currently on going application errors, and they are working on it to fix the issue. At the time of departure, our airport agents will clear the upgrades based on the internal ranking not on the ranking shown in website or mobile app. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan

3 - the data are garbage

Sounds like #3 it is
jsloan, droopydog, kb1992 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I don't recall anybody posting this yet: I was #2 on the upgrade list from IAH-EZE last night. There was one open seat. #1 dropped off the upgrade list entirely, and Polaris showed full. I was at #1 on the upgrade list, which was where I ultimately died.

So....it's looking like gate upgrades are dropping off the upgrade list entirely once the gate upgrades are processed.

The cleared standbys did show up on the standby list, with seat assignments next to their names.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K; BR Gold
So I would love to understand what is happening on the upgrade list. I've been checking religiously. The three names in the photo on the right never showed as waitlisted. The first time their names appeared, they were confirmed with a seat. Meanwhile, those of us waitlisted, have stayed in order. I'm a 1K on an A fare with a GPU/+P applied.

I understand the reduction in seats as people purchasing new tickets, paying for upgrades, etc. - but how are these folks jumping the waitlist and instantly clearing? This wouldn't be a SDC as it is not within 24 hours and there is definitely no PZ/PN available.

Thoughts?

Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:29 pm

GS can call in 72h before departure to push upgrades through if J>3 after it clears, so maybe that happened?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
GS can call in 72h before departure to push upgrades through if J>3 after it clears, so maybe that happened?
Then they should have been listed on the original list as well, no?

Could be re-accommodating displaced premium pax?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by cfischer
Then they should have been listed on the original list as well, no?

Could be re-accommodating displaced premium pax?
Or pax purchasing last minute PP ticket and applying an upgrade (GS or higher fare class in PP).
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Motivated by some of the conversation here, and by seeing that I was still 11th on the waitlist for Polaris on an R fare despite 7 of the people ahead of me also being waitlisted for PremiumPlus (and PN = 6 so not GS), I sent them a message and got a similar reply to above concerning IT issues. They claim that it will be processed appropriately before the 24 hour window as well; i.e. whatever voodoo occurs before the gate agent starts processing upgrades. I'm not entirely convinced, but we'll see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.