Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade list showing before T-24? -- new display?? buggy??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade list showing before T-24? -- new display?? buggy??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: United
It is a guess but I think the duplicated names are people who used an old certificate to upgrade.

I am a newly minted 1K from platinum. I am flying Saturday LHR to ORD. I knew i was going to have 40 points set to expire in Jan. I was holding the RPU to convert to Points and then try to upgrade my homeward flight. I applied the points upgrade yesterday. My name is on the list once. But, the names around me on the list are duplicate.

On edit. The application shows duplicate names. The Website does NOT. I really think it this is simply the way they converted instruments to points.

Last edited by billchristoff; Dec 5, 2019 at 3:45 am
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
1) Inside 24 hours list eliminated duplicates on my flight
2) appears not to show customers upgraded outside 24 hours or before checkin (as has been the case)
3) duplicate names aren’t old instrument - I applied GPU and wasn’t duplicated.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
the good thing is that if these lists are as they appear the only people who can “jump” you are new bookings or those who apply an instrument (if you haven’t). No need to wait as people check in to see yourself plummet down the list.
46/48 now and I am #2 on the list.
I really need to keep my hopes down....

....I have never flown business before....
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A Little Cow
It is SFO->NRT not NRT->SFO fortunately; still some hope since only 45/60 booked... but I went from being cautiously optimistic to pessimistic, as I guess one should be with these things. Fortunately after this flight I'll be 1k so perhaps I'll have more luck in the new year.
Ah, sorry, I misread your message. 45/60 is much better. Although business class seats are often sold at the last minute, the fact that inventory is as open as it is should give some small measure of hope. UA doesn't think it can sell all of the seats. The question is just what the list actually looks like.

Originally Posted by A Little Cow
EDIT: And, looking back at it, PN is now 2, so perhaps no GS waiting? Or just more bugs... I am definitely enjoying the tarot cards readings of these lists though. :P
Yes, that should mean no GS waiting, unless they're a party of 3 or larger.

I'd say that the list is just really messed up right now.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Originally Posted by drewguy
2) appears not to show customers upgraded outside 24 hours or before checkin (as has been the case).
Yes. I got my u/g from PP to Polaris at T-40 (they moved the oversold PP seats to Polaris at this juncture) and was moved off the u/g list. The u/g list was shortened by 2, which was the net over for PP.

I got a text at 3 AM telling me my u/g cleared. It was applied right about then, because I was checking my reservation around 2 AM and was still in PP.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I just tried the "change the date on your phone" trick for a flight I have next week. On the plus side I'm #5 of 30+ with 10 open seats. This is a domestic flight.

The downside is the reservation I have for this week no longer appears under "My Trips Current". It also doesn't show up under "My Trips Past". However, the flight I have in that reservation correctly shows up under the Flight Status tab because the flight is tomorrow. It does still appear on the home screen as my upcoming trip. Just an oddity.

-RM
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by jsloan
Ah, sorry, I misread your message. 45/60 is much better. Although business class seats are often sold at the last minute, the fact that inventory is as open as it is should give some small measure of hope. UA doesn't think it can sell all of the seats. The question is just what the list actually looks like.

Yes, that should mean no GS waiting, unless they're a party of 3 or larger.

I'd say that the list is just really messed up right now.
Me likewise... hopefully this is a change that is here to stay.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:32 pm

Have CPU started mostly clearing from the visible list?

Has the way CPUs are processed changed? From my understanding and experience upgrades will mostly clear from the invisible list first and then the rest will be processed by the gate agent.

I am traveling from SAN-IAH and IAH-MIA today and a few things happened that I don’t really understand.

SAN-IAH had 7 out of 20 booked in F around 48 hours before departure. Then when I checked at 30 hours before departure there were 13 booked out of 20 and 26 names on the upgrade list. About 23 hours out 18 were booked in F with 5 clearing from the visible list. How could 26 names be on the upgrade list 30 hours before departure, since San Deigo is not a hub wouldn't a large majority of passengers be originating in SD?

I have gotten an upgrade on other United flights about 22 hours out without checking in, when no one has been cleared on the visible list. Why did the clear so many passengers from the visible list?

While there we’re not many checked in prior to T-24 on the MIA-IAH segment, shortly after they check in they cleared 5 passengers off the visible list. Based on the numbers I have been checking since 72 hours out, almost all of the upgrades in that cabin cleared off the visible list.

This makes me wonder if the changes that came with Plus Points also mean that more upgrades will clear off the visible list before the flight is moved to gate control.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 5, 2019 at 4:44 pm Reason: moved to existing thread
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Hyatt Something-ist, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I can confirm that I'm seeing this behavior today on a friend's booking. Perhaps it's related to the PlusPoints software upgrades?

ETA: See this thread. Seems to be new behavior as of yesterday. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...re-t-24-a.html

Last edited by JeredF; Dec 5, 2019 at 2:46 pm Reason: (Added info.)
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
From what I can tell with my and my wife’s flight today, all Premier members are showing on the list whether checked in or not. Those with their names duplicated are the ones waitlisted for an upgrade with an instrument.
We are waitlisted with RPU for tomorrow - we show up once on the list. Interestingly on the app I am #1, wife is #2. On desktop - she is #1 and I am #2
Old Dec 5, 2019, 5:41 pm

Can someone help me understand this. I the two ALB, L are on GS pp points. How are they behind some people on the PP list that they are ahead of on the business list.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
The "already upgraded" list is now sorted by priority and not last name.

I am on a flight tomrw that had 33 people on the upgrade list (with none confirmed). Booked to 10/20. Right after check-in window opened 8 people got upgraded. 7 of them are from the visible list. The list shows those who cleared and their seat assignment but it lists them in the same priority order as they were before the upgrade, and not in alphabetical order as it used to.

I'm wondering if United is going to add a check mark now for the upgrade list on the mobile app for "checked in". The app only used to show those who were checked in. Now you can be #7 on the list for four seats but several ahead of you aren't checked in and you wouldn't know that. Maybe this is why the GIDs at the airport show the check mark for who is checked in.

-RM
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Looks like now the upgrade tab shows all waitlisted passengers, instead of those who checked in.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by myb821
img
img
Can someone help me understand this. I the two ALB, L are on GS pp points. How are they behind some people on the PP list that they are ahead of on the business list.
So is STA, M on the premium plus waitlist (and further down than ALB, L)?

Also, can you clarify what each of your 'pp' / 'PP' means?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Hi everyone,
I am also seeing some weird things on the updated upgrade list.

Example below- I am "Toy, B" with a PremiumPlus ticket, and I have a MUA to Biz. How am I behind "FOR, T" & "STE, R" if they are also waitlisted for Premium Plus. No one has been confirmed from either list yet. Aren't those with Premium Plus supposed to be processed ahead of those holding Economy tickets? So wouldn't/shouldn't they appear below me?

Thanks for any input on understanding this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.