FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United to order 50 Airbus A321XLR (for 2024) (TATL w/Polaris seats) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1998110-united-order-50-airbus-a321xlr-2024-tatl-w-polaris-seats.html)

smxflyer Dec 3, 2019 4:00 pm

United to order 50 Airbus A321XLR (for 2024) (TATL w/Polaris seats)

United Nears $7 Billion Order for Longest-Range Airbus A321 Jet

3 Dec 2019
Carrier is set to take 50 of the manufacturer’s XLR model
Planemaker scores new U.S. gains after American, JetBlue deals

United Airlines Holdings Inc. is nearing an order for its first long-range Airbus SE A321neo jets, people familiar with the matter said, dealing a new setback to rival Boeing Co. as the U.S. planemaker struggles through the grounding of its 737 Max.

The Airbus sale is for 50 of the European company’s A321XLR jets, with deliveries to begin in 2024, said the people, who asked not to be named because the talks are private. Valued at $7.1 billion before customary discounts, United’s order would expand the U.S. foothold of a single-aisle variant capable of handling North Atlantic routes.

With the deal, expected to be announced as soon as Tuesday, ....

wco81 Dec 3, 2019 4:10 pm

So I read that these would be able to service TATL from East Coast to maybe Midwest airports like ORD or IAH.

Would there be any advantages to passengers, especially those who would look to fly in J on TATL? Maybe they could have full Polaris pods on these planes, though obviously not as many as on a wide body.

But if they fly two of these a day instead of just one widebody a day, maybe the J inventory would be comparable or even higher?

EWR764 Dec 3, 2019 4:23 pm

With 2024-beyond deliveries, it's fair to assume that these are the longhaul 757 replacement. The 321XLR can cover all of the 757 missions in the system, save for LIH/KOA-DEN, so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

Big win for Airbus, and I'm curious to see if this has any impact on the A359 orders.

cfischer Dec 3, 2019 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 31801769)
With 2024-beyond deliveries, it's fair to assume that these are the longhaul 757 replacement. The 321XLR can cover all of the 757 missions in the system, save for LIH/KOA-DEN, so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

Big win for Airbus, and I'm curious to see if this has any impact on the A359 orders.

It was IMO the only logical replacement for the 752s anyway. 2024 is still a long time away, hopefully UA can keep them flying till then :o

ROCUAflyer Dec 3, 2019 5:00 pm

Looks official now:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300968734.html

SJC ORD LDR Dec 3, 2019 5:00 pm

I don't think United had a choice since there is no other logical replacement for the 752s. I wonder when Boeing will start with their 797 program?

ual744777sta Dec 3, 2019 5:01 pm

United Airlines Sets a Course for the Future With Order of 50 Airbus A321XLR Aircraft

United Airlines Sets a Course for the Future With Order of 50 Airbus A321XLR Aircraft
December 03, 2019
CHICAGO, Dec. 3, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced an order to purchase 50 new Airbus A321XLR aircraft, enabling the carrier to begin replacing and retiring its existing fleet of Boeing 757-200 aircraft and further meet the airline's operational needs by pairing the optimal aircraft with select transatlantic routes. The state-of-the-art aircraft, which United expects to introduce into international service in 2024, will also allow United to explore serving additional destinations in Europe from its East Coast hubs in Newark/New York and Washington.
Link

wco81 Dec 3, 2019 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 31801769)

What A359 orders?

One blogger claims UA prefers Boeing wide bodies. Supposedly Smisek had this preference and apparently they still think that way.

mduell Dec 3, 2019 5:06 pm

TATL 752 replacement with even less range westbound... Gander and Goose are in business.

EWR764 Dec 3, 2019 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 31801899)
What A359 orders?

One blogger claims UA prefers Boeing wide bodies. Supposedly Smisek had this preference and apparently they still think that way.

UA currently has orders for 45 A350-900s. Speculation is that this order was modified to enable the A321 order. The press release states that the 350s were deferred to 2027, but no information as to number of frames on order.

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 31801915)
TATL 752 replacement with even less range westbound... Gander and Goose are in business.

Less range, even with all those aux tanks (really the only thing that makes the XLR any different)?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...03e97ee265.jpg

https://hub.united.com/2019-12-03-un...641509684.html

WineCountryUA Dec 3, 2019 5:25 pm

The full UA press release

New aircraft will improve operational efficiency, elevate the inflight travel experience and reduce environmental impact
Airline expects to operate new aircraft on transatlantic routes out of its East Coast hubs in 2024

Photos(1)

CHICAGO, Dec. 3, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced an order to purchase 50 new Airbus A321XLR aircraft, enabling the carrier to begin replacing and retiring its existing fleet of Boeing 757-200 aircraft and further meet the airline's operational needs by pairing the optimal aircraft with select transatlantic routes. The state-of-the-art aircraft, which United expects to introduce into international service in 2024, will also allow United to explore serving additional destinations in Europe from its East Coast hubs in Newark/New York and Washington.

https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/103...nes_Airbus.jpg

"The new Airbus A321XLR aircraft is an ideal one-for-one replacement for the older, less-efficient aircraft currently operating between some of the most vital cities in our intercontinental network," said Andrew Nocella, United's executive vice president and chief commercial officer. "In addition to strengthening our ability to fly more efficiently, the A321XLR's range capabilities open potential new destinations to further develop our route network and provide customers with more options to travel the globe."

The next-generation A321XLR offers customers an elevated inflight experience and features modern amenities including LED lighting, larger overhead bin space and Wi-Fi connectivity. Additionally, the new aircraft lowers overall fuel burn per seat by about 30% when compared to previous generation aircraft, enabling United to further minimize its environmental impact as the carrier moves towards its ambitious goal of reducing its carbon footprint by 50% relative to 2005 levels by 2050.

United plans to begin taking delivery of the Airbus A321XLR in 2024. Additionally, the airline will defer the delivery of its order of Airbus A350s until 2027 to better align with the carrier's operational needs.

thejaredhuang Dec 3, 2019 5:25 pm

Wonder if they're going for PW or CFM.

ASA_1 Dec 3, 2019 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang (Post 31801960)
Wonder if they're going for PW or CFM.

I’d guess CFM considering the commonality they’d share with the MAX fleet. Obviously it’s not the exact same engine, but many common maintenance procedures and sore parts.

PsiFighter37 Dec 3, 2019 5:39 pm

I thought UA would hold out to the bitter end for a 797...guess they likely saw the writing on the wall with regards to that not happening anytime soon given the MAX issues.

Disappointed they are deferring the A359s yet again, but happy that the MAX 10 is not going to be UA's 752 TATL replacement.

ContinentalFan Dec 3, 2019 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR (Post 31801883)
I don't think United had a choice since there is no other logical replacement for the 752s. I wonder when Boeing will start with their 797 program?

Once the issues with the B737 MAX are resolved.