United LGA flight at 6:15am

Old Dec 3, 19, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

United LGA flight at 6:15am

guys - how is LGA on a weekday morning for a 6:15am flight? I have no carry-on and have Pre. What's the latest I can arrive by

Thx
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:23 pm

For me arrive (at the terminal) at 5:30a is fine.
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sam007 View Post
guys - how is LGA on a weekday morning for a 6:15am flight? I have no carry-on and have Pre. What's the latest I can arrive by

Thx
Assuming (a) you're departing from one of the new UA gates; (b) precheck goes smoothly; (c) you don't want to sprint; (d) you don't need to use the washroom/get coffee/do anything before the flight and (e) you know the layout.

6:15am flight
6:00am must be at gate
5:55am clear TSA
5:45am arrive TSA
5:40am out of cab

Personally I think this is a bit tight. If you get dropped off by the cab too soon, you'll have to backtrack on foot toward the UA counters where the TSA checkpoint is. A snafu at TSA, and you'll have to run. Zealous GAs, and you could be offloaded.

For me, 5:30am is as close as I'm willing to cut it, but don't live on the edge like I used to.
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Having just gone through LGA last week, given the ongoing construction and potential for traffic near the terminal, I would not feel comfortable planning to arrive after 5:00. Yes, it is quite possible that you'll be sitting at the gate by 5:20, but even then boarding would likely start 20-25 minutes after you get there...
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger View Post
Having just gone through LGA last week, given the ongoing construction and potential for traffic near the terminal, I would not feel comfortable planning to arrive after 5:00. Yes, it is quite possible that you'll be sitting at the gate by 5:20, but even then boarding would likely start 20-25 minutes after you get there...
I haven't personally encountered traffic before 6a at LGA. Maybe just lucky. The bigger hazard would be simply getting lost in the construction detours.
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
I would arrive an hour before, at the terminal. There is a PreCheck line, but there is also significant amount of walking to the gate area, plus the extended walk to the actual gate. This is also assuming you are on a domestic itinerary.
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
I haven't personally encountered traffic before 6a at LGA. Maybe just lucky. The bigger hazard would be simply getting lost in the construction detours.
My sample size is quite small. But it did take me nearly 30 minutes to get from the LGA Hertz to the on ramp for the Grand Central Parkway at 11:00 pm on a Thursday. Should have turned left...

Ultimately, I guess I'd rather sit at the gate for 20 minutes than sit in traffic for 10 knowing that I will miss my flight.
Old Dec 3, 19, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger View Post
My sample size is quite small. But it did take me nearly 30 minutes to get from the LGA Hertz to the on ramp for the Grand Central Parkway at 11:00 pm on a Thursday. Should have turned left...

Ultimately, I guess I'd rather sit at the gate for 20 minutes than sit in traffic for 10 knowing that I will miss my flight.
Later in the day is definitely a different story, although I wouldn't have expected so late (11p) to have traffic problems.

However, I also do personally prefer to get there early and not need to worry that something unexpected will happen and torpedo my schedule. At LGA the UC is a good option if it is an option.
Old Dec 3, 19, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't think that traffic around or in LGA will be a problem at that time of day. An hour before departure gives you about 15 minutes of flex in case you need it.
Old Dec 3, 19, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

One more if I may. I have a gogo wifi pass but discovered both my flights tomorrow will be on Thales. Any way around paying the high $50 united subscription?
Old Dec 3, 19, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy Amb
I take this flight often. With no carry on (and thus unconcerned about boarding position) out of cab at 5:30 and you're fine. Normally, I try to take advantage of my pre-board privilege and am out of cab at 5am. This generally gives me 10-15 min in the United Club.
Old Dec 3, 19, 6:04 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by sam007 View Post

Thx
Latest probably 5.45 assuming you coming by cab or car service but as others have said doesn't leave much safety margin. I live 20 mins from LGA and at that time of day leave my apt just an hour to departure and never had a problem.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: