Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United turning into American Airlines? (delays, reliability, ...)

Old Dec 1, 19, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBD , FBG

Hi,

maybe its only me being unfortunate, but 2019 has been pretty poor when it comes to reliability with departure times for United. Iím flying out on Houston for the most part, and there has been delays on at least 60% of the flights. Itís always something about mechanical issues, late aircrafts, waiting on crew etc. etc.

only me, or has United deteriorated on reliability in recent time?
Old Dec 1, 19, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
It has gotten a lot better than it used to be. But LOONNNGGG ways away from the stellar reliability of Delta. Still not as bad as AA either.

Honestly, UA should aspire to run an operation as good as Delta. They just don't seem to care enough to make it a priority.
Old Dec 1, 19, 8:07 pm

I have been getting stupid delays with their regional carrier mesa airlines from IAH.
I never have delays when flying IAH to ORD.

United is getting stupid by making different tiers of economy. This is getting out of hand. How do you have 3 tiers for economy???
Basic Economy
Economy
Premium Economy
Business First
First First

Why stop there??? How about middle seat economy, rear economy, lay in the overhead bin economy, ride in the cargo economy. There is so much more potential here.
Old Dec 1, 19, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Ehhh per DOT, 2019 (through Q3) has not proven to be a good year for UA, only marginally better than the bottom ( F9 and B6).

ETA: Out of IAH, UA is ahead of AA with 78.3% arriving ontime. AA is 72.0; Delta 78.4.
Old Dec 1, 19, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott/SPG Amb, Hyatt Explorist
In 2019 so far (Jan 1ĖDec 1),

UA has flown 469,365 flights, 22.15% of which arrived late (average 77.84 mins late).

DL has flown 744,094 flights, 14.91% of which arrived late (average 71.64 mins late).

AA has flown 708,777 flights, 21.78% of which arrived late (average 68.12 mins late).

Doesnít include flights operated by other airlines (eg united operated by Republic)

Source https://transtats.bts.gov/ONTIME/

Personally I think UA does great during irrops so I donít see a reason to switch. Also some of this might be related to each airlineís hub locations (eg ORD weather, SFO fog/runway construction, etc.)
Old Dec 1, 19, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by onthesam View Post
Ehhh per DOT, 2019 (through Q3) has not proven to be a good year for UA, only marginally better than the bottom ( F9 and B6).
Pretty surprised that B6 does poorly. As for UA, it seems like they made a big push to improve on-time metrics in 2018 and have let that slip noticeably this year. It does feel like flights have been more delayed, but nothing where it sticks out like a sore thumb (e.g. in the depths of post-merger Smisek reign).
Old Dec 1, 19, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by getagb View Post

Personally I think UA does great during irrops
Far far worse than Delta. Not even in the same league.

Irrops experience for 1K/GS might be o.k., for everyone else it is not good at all. Delta wins hands down that competition.

Between UA and AA I think UA wins, but it is not exactly a race to the top they are winning here
Old Dec 1, 19, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott/SPG Amb, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Far far worse than Delta. Not even in the same league.

Irrops experience for 1K/GS might be o.k., for everyone else it is not good at all. Delta wins hands down that competition.

Between UA and AA I think UA wins, but it is not exactly a race to the top they are winning here
Itís great for GS / 1K. If it looks like a connection will go sideways they often hold a seat on the backup flight and open up lots of routing options on the app. Theyíll also pay for a hotel if I get stuck somewhere overnight.

Is Delta better flying out of ORD? Maybe Iíll give em a whirl in 2021 when I lose my 1K status.
Old Dec 1, 19, 8:35 pm
st3

Programs: National Exec, UA MP, Bonvoy
Also some of this might be related to each airlineís hub locations (eg ORD weather, SFO fog/runway construction, etc.)
I am sure that is part of it, it would be interesting to pivot the data by airline and then airport. DL probably has a bit of a strategic advantage there.
Old Dec 1, 19, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Itís great for GS / 1K. If it looks like a connection will go sideways they often hold a seat on the backup flight and open up lots of routing options on the app. Theyíll also pay for a hotel if I get stuck somewhere overnight.
My irrops experiences as a 1K during the past 6 months have been less than stellar. I have had to get supervisors involved several times for basic things like protecting me onto the sole remaining flight or have had them argue availability with me ("Sir, you have to search both segments together, not individually!" when asking for alternate flights which are wide open), for example, and have had to employ HUACA dozens of times.

It's one reason I will not miss 1K so much when I don't qualify next year; irrops handling had been one of the last real remaining perks for me.
weero likes this.
Old Dec 1, 19, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by st3 View Post
I am sure that is part of it, it would be interesting to pivot the data by airline and then airport. DL probably has a bit of a strategic advantage there.
Too much to copy/paste into this forum but the exact data you seek is readily available on the DOT Consumer Reports Site at https://www.transportation.gov/airco...r-reports-2019 . It gets much more granular than just by airline and then by airport.

Originally Posted by exerda View Post
My irrops experiences as a 1K during the past 6 months have been less than stellar. I have had to get supervisors involved several times for basic things like protecting me onto the sole remaining flight or have had them argue availability with me ("Sir, you have to search both segments together, not individually!" when asking for alternate flights which are wide open), for example, and have had to employ HUACA dozens of times.
Very similar experiences with me. The battle for protection is getting old fast.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 1, 19 at 9:30 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 1, 19, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold.
Originally Posted by Kleffen View Post
Hi,

maybe its only me being unfortunate, but 2019 has been pretty poor when it comes to reliability with departure times for United. Iím flying out on Houston for the most part, and there has been delays on at least 60% of the flights. Itís always something about mechanical issues, late aircrafts, waiting on crew etc. etc.

only me, or has United deteriorated on reliability in recent time?
You should try being a West coast loyalist flying through SFO every week. SFO and on-time are never mentioned in the same sentence....
msglsmo and manually like this.
Old Dec 1, 19, 9:20 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by COMMONC3NTS View Post
I have been getting stupid delays with their regional carrier mesa airlines from IAH.
I never have delays when flying IAH to ORD.

United is getting stupid by making different tiers of economy. This is getting out of hand. How do you have 3 tiers for economy???
Basic Economy
Economy
Premium Economy
Business First
First First

Why stop there??? How about middle seat economy, rear economy, lay in the overhead bin economy, ride in the cargo economy. There is so much more potential here.
Basic economy is a type of ticket. Passengers are still seated in main cabin. Haven't you heard, airlines are not cool if they don't sell basic economy tickets in 2019.

Premium economy is a separate cabin; whereas economy plus (United) (or Comfort Plus for Delta or Main Cabin Extra for American) are economy seats with additional legroom.

Business and First are usually never sold on the same flight.
Old Dec 1, 19, 9:30 pm

Long gave up on United, 0 expectation except for getting me to my destination in one piece and maybe within a few hours of scheduled time. I reciprocate with 0 loyalty to this once good airline.
Old Dec 1, 19, 9:59 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Platinum & MM; AA dirt; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold; & some other useless titles
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
It has gotten a lot better than it used to be. But LOONNNGGG ways away from the stellar reliability of Delta. Still not as bad as AA either.

Honestly, UA should aspire to run an operation as good as Delta. They just don't seem to care enough to make it a priority.
Agree with you, although I would redact the word "stellar" when discussing Delta. They are certainly better than UA and AA but none of the big four carriers in the U.S. can currently earn a "stellar" rating from me. And my reliability experience with WN this year has been probably slightly worse than AA.
crfgon likes this.

Search this Thread