Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United turning into American Airlines? (delays, reliability, ...)

Is United turning into American Airlines? (delays, reliability, ...)

Old Dec 1, 19, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
You should try being a West coast loyalist flying through SFO every week. SFO and on-time are never mentioned in the same sentence....
I fly into SFO every week. I've learned to either take the first AM flight from my departure airport so that I am in the air before 0830, which is when ATC starts informing airlines to limit arrivals into SFO starting at 0900 ish.
With those early AM flights; I'm 100% on time.
Old Dec 1, 19, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
No way. Speaking as someone whose home airport is DFW, AA is still way worse. They will cxl a flight at the slightest crack of lightning.
Old Dec 1, 19, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by chavala View Post
No way. Speaking as someone whose home airport is DFW, AA is still way worse. They will cxl a flight at the slightest crack of lightning.
Here in CLE, if the main flight info board is showing any cancellations, you can bet itís dominated by AA flights.
Old Dec 1, 19, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
Here in CLE, if the main flight info board is showing any cancellations, you can bet itís dominated by AA flights.
Yup. Iím closely watching my SFO-DFW connection since there is some weather thing going on (as usual!)
Look at the UA vs the AA delays.
Old Dec 2, 19, 12:37 am

It's the reason why I only take Delta, United or AA, always had problem : delays, flight change... connection too shorts !!! and more.
Old Dec 2, 19, 11:55 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
It's a balancing act.

When UAL's on-time stats peeked the hub schedules included a lot of slack. One of Scott Kirby's initiatives was rebanking the hubs to create more and better connection opportunities. It has worked very well in driving bookings and aircraft and crew utilization but it requires a lot of arrivals, and a lot of departures, to be compressed into shorter pushes. More congestion leads to delays and less flexibility in gate assignments. Shorter ground times increases the chances of misconnections of passengers, aircraft, and crews.

Customers like having more, better, more efficient connection opportunities. Customers also like on-time flights. The trick is in finding the right balance between the two.
Old Dec 2, 19, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kleffen View Post
Hi,

maybe its only me being unfortunate, but 2019 has been pretty poor when it comes to reliability with departure times for United. Iím flying out on Houston for the most part, and there has been delays on at least 60% of the flights. Itís always something about mechanical issues, late aircrafts, waiting on crew etc. etc.

only me, or has United deteriorated on reliability in recent time?
I havenít noticed any deterioration over the past year.
Old Dec 2, 19, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
It's a balancing act.

When UAL's on-time stats peeked the hub schedules included a lot of slack. One of Scott Kirby's initiatives was rebanking the hubs to create more and better connection opportunities. It has worked very well in driving bookings and aircraft and crew utilization but it requires a lot of arrivals, and a lot of departures, to be compressed into shorter pushes. More congestion leads to delays and less flexibility in gate assignments. Shorter ground times increases the chances of misconnections of passengers, aircraft, and crews.

Customers like having more, better, more efficient connection opportunities. Customers also like on-time flights. The trick is in finding the right balance between the two.
Spot on! And throw in events like the SFO runway situation this year, plus an even-worse-than-usual weather footprint, with hubs in weather-vulnerable locations (ORD, EWR, SFO, even IAH ...) and I can understand what's going on.

In my personal situation, the increased flight frequencies mean I get to spend more nights in my bed at home. I haven't had one delay-caused hotel stay yet this year. So, for me, in my situation, the formula's a winner.
Old Dec 2, 19, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I must’ve flying a different air carrier. With 130,000 BIS miles and 79 segments I have had Zero missed connections and one flight delayed my more than an hour. Delta matched that with my one and only trip with them ‘this year.
getagb likes this.
Old Dec 2, 19, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk View Post
I mustíve flying a different air carrier. With 130,000 BIS miles and 79 segments I have had Zero missed connections and one flight delayed my more than an hour. Delta matched that with my one and only trip with them Ďthis year.
I am in a similar boat to you. As a Canadian, about 20% of my trips are (unavoidably) on AC or WestJet, and I have had many more delays and issues on that 20% than I have on the ~70% I fly on UA. I have had one missed UA connection in the past five years.
Old Dec 2, 19, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM, MR/SPG LT Plat
Originally Posted by COMMONC3NTS View Post
I have been getting stupid delays with their regional carrier mesa airlines from IAH.
I never have delays when flying IAH to ORD.

United is getting stupid by making different tiers of economy. This is getting out of hand. How do you have 3 tiers for economy???
Basic Economy
Economy
Premium Economy
Business First
First First

Why stop there??? How about middle seat economy, rear economy, lay in the overhead bin economy, ride in the cargo economy. There is so much more potential here.
Donít forget to add Economy Plus to your list!😂
Old Dec 2, 19, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
All of my delays this year have been on UX flights.
Old Dec 2, 19, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
You should try being a West coast loyalist flying through SFO every week. SFO and on-time are never mentioned in the same sentence....
To this day I am still surprised that SFO is a hub with the constant fog delays
Old Dec 2, 19, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Pretty surprised that B6 does poorly.
It has a lot to do with where their ops are concentrated.

Same with HA, in the other direction.
Old Dec 2, 19, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Pretty surprised that B6 does poorly.
This is one of the lesser stellar areas of B6; its OTP metrics have scored low for a number of years now.

Search this Thread