Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's response if award ticket partner cancels/ceases service -- such as South African

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's response if award ticket partner cancels/ceases service -- such as South African

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Hi, looking for advice. I have a Mileage Plus award ticket on SAA from IAD to JNB in late January. What happens in the (increasingly likely imho) event that SAA goes bankrupt? Is UA likely to reroute me or am I on my own? I booked a return on BA, so I will be able to get back, but I'm not sure how I get there if they are out of business
Thanks for your advice
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by stemme
Hi, looking for advice. I have a Mileage Plus award ticket on SAA from IAD to JNB in late January. What happens in the (increasingly likely imho) event that SAA goes bankrupt? Is UA likely to reroute me or am I on my own? I booked a return on BA, so I will be able to get back, but I'm not sure how I get there if they are out of business
Thanks for your advice
Your best bet would be asking UA to reroute you on UA EWR-CPT.

Otherwise you will have to (try to) find award space on one of UA's partners that serves JNB - I believe that's LH, LX, ET, or TK. UA can't open award space on partners.
jsloan and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I didn't realise that SA was in eminent danger of going under - it's been unprofitable for as long as I can remember, so I'm curious what makes it more likely that SA will cease ops in the next month than it has been in the past decades...
Old Dec 1, 2019, 9:15 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I didn't realise that SA was in eminent danger of going under - it's been unprofitable for as long as I can remember, so I'm curious what makes it more likely that SA will cease ops in the next month than it has been in the past decades...
Lack of confidence in their ability to remain a financially viable concern and calm labor unrest has accelerated in the last three weeks or so. A few days ago some insurers that write travel insurance have refused to issue new policies to cover losses related to SAA.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...ravel-insurer/
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
They are being placed in voluntary business rescue:

https://mg.co.za/article/2019-12-04-...usiness-rescue
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:12 pm

There is also talk of a merger with ET.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: United Gold
Well it might help UA with new service to CPT
Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:15 pm

Wow. I didnt quite realize SA were in that bad of a mess.
I have an award booking with SA in May 2020 (IAD-JNB-CPT), followed by an Air Namibia flight (CPT-WDH). Air Namibia are also on the ropes. Ironically I was thinking of switching my Air Nambian flight to SA one, but at this point they both seem in a similar mess

At least, hopefully, ET will still be in business for my return journey. If SA collapse, I'll likely have to find award space on ET to get from IAD-CPT.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by Kacee
Your best bet would be asking UA to reroute you on UA EWR-CPT.

Otherwise you will have to (try to) find award space on one of UA's partners that serves JNB - I believe that's LH, LX, ET, or TK. UA can't open award space on partners.
Just for completeness sake, JNB is also served by CA, MS, and SQ.

Chris
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by stemme
They are being placed in voluntary business rescue:

https://mg.co.za/article/2019-12-04-...usiness-rescue
I'd try to punch into a UA itinerary now.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind
I'd try to punch into a UA itinerary now.
Cant imagine UA would entertain anything quite yet based on that, but hey OP if you pull it off let us know and I'll give it a go.
PVDtoDEL and stemme like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Cant imagine UA would entertain anything quite yet based on that, but hey OP if you pull it off let us know and I'll give it a go.
I'm in the same boat - would love to change my award ticket operated by SA, but I'm skeptical UA will open up inventory unless SA cancels the flight.
FlyingHighlander and jsloan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.