Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's response if award ticket partner cancels/ceases service -- such as South African

UA's response if award ticket partner cancels/ceases service -- such as South African

Old Dec 1, 19, 6:38 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: AA GLD
Posts: 12
UA's response if award ticket partner cancels/ceases service -- such as South African

Hi, looking for advice. I have a Mileage Plus award ticket on SAA from IAD to JNB in late January. What happens in the (increasingly likely imho) event that SAA goes bankrupt? Is UA likely to reroute me or am I on my own? I booked a return on BA, so I will be able to get back, but I'm not sure how I get there if they are out of business
Thanks for your advice
stemme is offline  
Old Dec 1, 19, 7:18 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 45,795
Originally Posted by stemme View Post
Hi, looking for advice. I have a Mileage Plus award ticket on SAA from IAD to JNB in late January. What happens in the (increasingly likely imho) event that SAA goes bankrupt? Is UA likely to reroute me or am I on my own? I booked a return on BA, so I will be able to get back, but I'm not sure how I get there if they are out of business
Thanks for your advice
Your best bet would be asking UA to reroute you on UA EWR-CPT.

Otherwise you will have to (try to) find award space on one of UA's partners that serves JNB - I believe that's LH, LX, ET, or TK. UA can't open award space on partners.
jsloan and MatthewLAX like this.
Kacee is offline  
Old Dec 1, 19, 9:04 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: IST/SEA
Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), DL GM (ST E+), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 7,539
I didn't realise that SA was in eminent danger of going under - it's been unprofitable for as long as I can remember, so I'm curious what makes it more likely that SA will cease ops in the next month than it has been in the past decades...
PVDtoDEL is offline  
Old Dec 1, 19, 9:15 pm
  #4  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Platinum & MM; DL Diamond; AA dirt; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Posts: 4,541
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
I didn't realise that SA was in eminent danger of going under - it's been unprofitable for as long as I can remember, so I'm curious what makes it more likely that SA will cease ops in the next month than it has been in the past decades...
Lack of confidence in their ability to remain a financially viable concern and calm labor unrest has accelerated in the last three weeks or so. A few days ago some insurers that write travel insurance have refused to issue new policies to cover losses related to SAA.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...ravel-insurer/
jsloan likes this.
Craig6z is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:59 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: AA GLD
Posts: 12
They are being placed in voluntary business rescue:

https://mg.co.za/article/2019-12-04-...usiness-rescue
stemme is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 4:12 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 57
There is also talk of a merger with ET.
COGal is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 4:15 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 2,028
Well it might help UA with new service to CPT
hscottm is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 6:15 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
Posts: 964
Wow. I didnt quite realize SA were in that bad of a mess.
I have an award booking with SA in May 2020 (IAD-JNB-CPT), followed by an Air Namibia flight (CPT-WDH). Air Namibia are also on the ropes. Ironically I was thinking of switching my Air Nambian flight to SA one, but at this point they both seem in a similar mess

At least, hopefully, ET will still be in business for my return journey. If SA collapse, I'll likely have to find award space on ET to get from IAD-CPT.
FlyingHighlander is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 9:00 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Programs: Statusless and proud
Posts: 6,833
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Your best bet would be asking UA to reroute you on UA EWR-CPT.

Otherwise you will have to (try to) find award space on one of UA's partners that serves JNB - I believe that's LH, LX, ET, or TK. UA can't open award space on partners.
Just for completeness sake, JNB is also served by CA, MS, and SQ.

Chris
JayhawkCO is offline  
Old Dec 5, 19, 12:29 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BOS and ...
Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Posts: 9,931
Originally Posted by stemme View Post
They are being placed in voluntary business rescue:

https://mg.co.za/article/2019-12-04-...usiness-rescue
I'd try to punch into a UA itinerary now.
Firewind is offline  
Old Dec 5, 19, 2:11 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
Posts: 964
Originally Posted by Firewind View Post
I'd try to punch into a UA itinerary now.
Cant imagine UA would entertain anything quite yet based on that, but hey OP if you pull it off let us know and I'll give it a go.
PVDtoDEL and stemme like this.
FlyingHighlander is offline  
Old Dec 5, 19, 5:29 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: IST/SEA
Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), DL GM (ST E+), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 7,539
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
Cant imagine UA would entertain anything quite yet based on that, but hey OP if you pull it off let us know and I'll give it a go.
I'm in the same boat - would love to change my award ticket operated by SA, but I'm skeptical UA will open up inventory unless SA cancels the flight.
FlyingHighlander and jsloan like this.
PVDtoDEL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: