Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Were The Early 80's Really That Much Better On UA Than Now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Were The Early 80's Really That Much Better On UA Than Now?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:43 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
The question in the title is a little more generic and specific. Generically, flying in coach or economy class in the 80s was much better than it is today no matter what airline you select. Specifically on United, I think Domestic F in the 80s was better than Domestic F today. Never flew international F on UA in the 80s but I did fly international F on TWA in the early 90s and I preferred it over international J today on UA. No way the food in international J on UA is better than on international F in the 80s. My connections then were about the same as now as there are still a limited number of international gateways. I didn't bother with lounges in the 80s or early 90s so can't compare but I find it hard to believe they were worse than the typical UA Club today -- there aren't enough Polaris lounges to make a fair comparison. As far as IFE goes, headsets/earbuds today are much better than the old uncomfortable ones of yesteryear but I usually carried books with me and didn't care about the movies. In Y, that's still the case.

As I said, paper tickets were like cash. It was theoretically possible to get one reissued but it wasn't an easy or quick process. As jsloan says, it was a lot like a check.

IIRC, non-refundable fares were an innovation that enabled price reductions in the non-regulated era. In the regulated era, the fare was the fare which is why the physical ticket was about like having a cashier's check. According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_ticket), the IATA didn't get rid of paper tickets until June 1, 2008. I remember the tickets with red "carbon" imprints like this:

and I seem to recall they were sometimes hand-written. IIRC, this kind of ticket would get stapled to my boarding pass and then pulled when I boarded.
That coupon brought back some memories and another question.

What would have happened if the agent pulled the wrong coupon? This happened with my brother's ticket on our flight from LAX -> HNL sometime in the 90's. The Delta agent pulled the return portion of the ticket in my brother's ticket booklet. My dad caught it before boarding and it was rectified but what would happen if it wasn't caught? If the actual ticket coupons were like cashiers checks, what would have happened in HNL when we tried to checkin for our return flight?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by seat38a
OMG, I remember the boarding passes on AS. And when you went up to the gate podium to board the agent would check your boarding pass and use a pen/pencil to tick you off their piece of paper. This was in the 90's when my parents took the whole family to Cabo from LAX. Never flew WN during the plastic card days so can't chime in on that.
I believe WN switched over to paper boarding passes after Sept 11, when a boarding pass is required to go through TSA and to the secured area, and they can't hand out the plastic boarding passes from the check-in desks.

The question in the title is a little more generic and specific. Generically, flying in coach or economy class in the 80s was much better than it is today no matter what airline you select. Specifically on United, I think Domestic F in the 80s was better than Domestic F today. Never flew international F on UA in the 80s but I did fly international F on TWA in the early 90s and I preferred it over international J today on UA. No way the food in international J on UA is better than on international F in the 80s. My connections then were about the same as now as there are still a limited number of international gateways. I didn't bother with lounges in the 80s or early 90s so can't compare but I find it hard to believe they were worse than the typical UA Club today -- there aren't enough Polaris lounges to make a fair comparison. As far as IFE goes, headsets/earbuds today are much better than the old uncomfortable ones of yesteryear but I usually carried books with me and didn't care about the movies. In Y, that's still the case.

As I said, paper tickets were like cash. It was theoretically possible to get one reissued but it wasn't an easy or quick process. As jsloan says, it was a lot like a check.

IIRC, non-refundable fares were an innovation that enabled price reductions in the non-regulated era. In the regulated era, the fare was the fare which is why the physical ticket was about like having a cashier's check. According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_ticket), the IATA didn't get rid of paper tickets until June 1, 2008. I remember the tickets with red "carbon" imprints like this:

and I seem to recall they were sometimes hand-written. IIRC, this kind of ticket would get stapled to my boarding pass and then pulled when I boarded.
That coupon brought back some memories and another question.

What would have happened if the agent pulled the wrong coupon? This happened with my brother's ticket on our flight from LAX -> HNL sometime in the 90's. The Delta agent pulled the return portion of the ticket in my brother's ticket booklet. My dad caught it before boarding and it was rectified but what would happen if it wasn't caught? If the actual ticket coupons were like cashiers checks, what would have happened in HNL when we tried to checkin for our return flight?
I believe they would place a re-validation sticker with the correct flight information on the paper ticket you have in hand, or they'll exchange the ticket you have in hand for a new ticket. This was the same procedure when you need to change your flight - after you make the change over the phone, you head over to a City Ticket Office or an airport counter and have the ticket re-validated. The sticker is basically a small strip, with the new dates/flight number written in. It's a different era, when a ticket still retained its value even after the flight departure, provided that it was not used. There was a prime example last year, when someone found an unused paper ticket, and United exchanged it for a voucher. https://www.travelandleisure.com/tra...m-19-years-ago
seat38a likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
3. Whats the difference between an e-ticket now and the reservation system of the past? What suddenly made the piece of paper worthless and reprintable as many times as you want? The words "Electronic Ticket" printed on your printout can't be all of it.
It's worth noting that a reservation and an eTicket are still two distinct (but closely related) things. A reservation holds your space on the plane. The eTicket is the payment instrument for the flight. Most fares require a confirmed reservation that conforms to various requirements (ticketing time limit, advance purchase, etc.) before a ticket can be issued, but it is common for there to be un-ticketed reservations (e.g. most US Gov tickets aren't issued until a few days before departure). Checking in is the process of matching a reservation segment to a ticket coupon.

It used to also be possible to have tickets with no associated reservation, but I'm pretty sure with eTicketing that is no longer possible.
jsloan, narvik, seat38a and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sykes
It's worth noting that a reservation and an eTicket are still two distinct (but closely related) things. A reservation holds your space on the plane. The eTicket is the payment instrument for the flight. Most fares require a confirmed reservation that conforms to various requirements (ticketing time limit, advance purchase, etc.) before a ticket can be issued, but it is common for there to be un-ticketed reservations (e.g. most US Gov tickets aren't issued until a few days before departure). Checking in is the process of matching a reservation segment to a ticket coupon.

It used to also be possible to have tickets with no associated reservation, but I'm pretty sure with eTicketing that is no longer possible.
Ok, I think I'm kind of getting it now. It was a bit hard for me to comprehend since one buys a ticket these days for a specific date and flight. But as others have mentioned, if one has refundable, changeable, or open ticket then it starts to be clearer that a reservation is one thing and the ticket is another thing.

So would a correct analogy to our current system be the ticket is the "voucher" that United gives when one cancels their flight? Anyone can use the voucher if they have the number, like the tickets from the past. And the "reservation" would be when you actually book yourself on another flight?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Specifically on United, I think Domestic F in the 80s was better than Domestic F today. Never flew international F on UA in the 80s but I did fly international F on TWA in the early 90s and I preferred it over international J today on UA. No way the food in international J on UA is better than on international F in the 80s.
Well that makes it a totally irrelevant comparison. In the 80s, UA had one of the best international premium products. Now they have one of the worst. But I guess that makes the whole thread a pointless question.

Last edited by 5khours; Dec 4, 2019 at 5:16 am
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
The heck with UA in the '80s! Try AA in the '70s! Here's their first 747s... Feeling a bit cramped in your coach seat? Head for the lounge.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Video from someone else of United DC10. Tokyo - Seoul. OMG the meal at 16:48 looks delicious! And it is a coach meal.

Meal shot at 16:26
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: united
Video from someone else of United DC10. Tokyo - Seoul. OMG the meal at 16:48 looks delicious! And it is a coach meal.

https://youtu.be/8c42AjDVWD4

Meal shot at 16:26
https://youtu.be/htBOTDCNZBQ
It's sick that 23 years later, I still know every word of that safety video (one of two UA kept in constant rotation in the 1990's).
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTahCha
I believe WN switched over to paper boarding passes after Sept 11, when a boarding pass is required to go through TSA and to the secured area, and they can't hand out the plastic boarding passes from the check-in desks.

I believe they would place a re-validation sticker with the correct flight information on the paper ticket you have in hand, or they'll exchange the ticket you have in hand for a new ticket. This was the same procedure when you need to change your flight - after you make the change over the phone, you head over to a City Ticket Office or an airport counter and have the ticket re-validated. The sticker is basically a small strip, with the new dates/flight number written in. It's a different era, when a ticket still retained its value even after the flight departure, provided that it was not used. There was a prime example last year, when someone found an unused paper ticket, and United exchanged it for a voucher. https://www.travelandleisure.com/tra...m-19-years-ago
So technically back before e-tickets, someone could say rob a city ticket office or a travel agency and run off with a bunch of blank ticket stock and fly or get a refund from the stolen ticket stocks?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
The heck with UA in the '80s! Try AA in the '70s! Here's their first 747s... Feeling a bit cramped in your coach seat? Head for the lounge.
Amazing!
^

Of course, the pessimist in me thinks that it won't be too long that we will fondly look back at 3-4-3 in Economy, when they all go to standing seats:

...and:

https://www.insider.com/skyrider-sta...cheaper-2018-4
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
So technically back before e-tickets, someone could say rob a city ticket office or a travel agency and run off with a bunch of blank ticket stock and fly or get a refund from the stolen ticket stocks?
You'd need to steal the airline plate as well (a small card that looked like a credit card and imprinted the airline on the ticket stock). Paper tickets were more like checks than cash, so it'd be about like stealing a pad of blank checks from someone (or for that matter stealing a credit card back in the day when people did physical imprints and no authorization). And forged paper tickets were definitely a problem, just as forged checks were and still are.
jsloan and seat38a like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
The thing to remember is that all these widebody "lounges" were installed in an era where international coach fares were quite a bit higher than they are now (typically over $3,000 roundtrip in 2019 dollars) and even in that environment, they were big money losers and were removed fairly quickly in favor of additional seating. Indeed, even FIRST CLASS widebody "lounges" are VERY rare now (nonexistent among US carriers and present only on a very few foreign carriers).

In other words, consumers didn't value this stuff enough for it to be worthwhile.

The actual story about the decline in airline service is a story about the airlines following the wishes of their customers. Face it, if customers cared about service, Spirit just wouldn't be a profitable airline and no carrier would dare implement Basic Economy.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Ahhh - reading this thread brought back some great UA memories. I remember around 1985 (or 86?) when UA started their first European flights: ORD-FRA and ORD-CDG on 767s. Back then the 767 would also do ORD-LAX and LAX-ORD. I was going to school in Chicago and would visit family in LA. I would try to book the 767 flights between ORD-LAX. I remember the UA rez system on the domestic legs would treat the 767 J class seats as Y seats; this was on a 3-cabin 767. I would try to book row 7 and thus would get the 767 J seat. That was certainly a thrill!

I also remember when UA started ORD-LHR flights. There was a great ad campaign with a bowler hat that had the caption "Great. Britain.". Loved that.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
I'm guessing all of the kimono wearing FA's came from PanAm since they've been running the service for longer?

Can anyone chime in on what Connoisseur Class was like? I was too young to fly it when it was still around, but I do know of couple of people who flew it to Paris. Was it single tray meals similar to what Premium Plus class is today?
No, it was multi-course business class meals in recliners that had much better pitch than PP (I think 48"). I would say the meals were better than current-day Polaris. Having flown in C 20 years ago SFO-HKG-SFO, and the same 2 weeks ago, that's certainly my recollection.
seat38a likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
The Connoisseur Class meals were actually pretty darn good. After dinner the FA's would go around with a large box of Godiva chocolates. The box was then left in the galley for pax to nibble on. That reminds me - I got op-ups to Connoisseur Class a few times, including SFO-LHR and NRT-SIN, both on 747s. Flying Connoisseur Class was a very enjoyable experience.

greg99 likes this.

Last edited by tealeaf99; Dec 3, 2019 at 9:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.