Why fly crummy E175 on IAH-LGA?

Old Nov 25, 19, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Angry Why fly crummy E175 on IAH-LGA?

Why does United fly this tiny plane on this 1600 mile route? Do they really have that little business? Is WN and AA completely kicking their butts in the NYC market? Is it either this, or drop the LGA routes, like they did with JFK?

I was on an IAH-LGA flight on Saturday. It was delayed due to the weight restrictions caused by the jet stream dipping south. At first, the pilot threatened to offload half of the customers. He wanted 30 persons to take an alternate flight out of Newark. Not enough people took the offer. So instead, he decided to fly to Savannah (SAV) of all places. We then had to fly west back to IAH.

(The flight was even more miserable than that. The lavs ran out of potable water. The flight attendants ran out of food and drinks. There was no catering crew in SAV to re-cater the plane. An engine light came on, and we had to wait an extra hour, for a maintenance person to come out, and check out the light. Predictably, it turned out to be nothing. We arrived five hours later into IAH. And to put a cherry on top of it, the bags came off the wrong carousel, after which the lazy personnel in IAH baggage claim didn't even both to announce the proper carousel to get our bags. God, those people suck.)

All in all, it was a completely miserably flight, all because United refuses to use a 737 or A319 when flying this route - into the nation's biggest city. It makes no sense - like most of what transpires on this airline.

This is the last damned time that I take a E175 cross country. I am done with this. If I have to switch to WN to avoid this, I will.

Last edited by LEONIDES; Nov 25, 19 at 1:49 pm Reason: Sorry, supposed to be IAH, not IAG.
Old Nov 25, 19, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LEONIDES View Post
All in all, it was a completely miserably flight, all because United refuses to use a 737 or A319 when flying this route - into the nation's biggest city. It makes no sense - like most of what transpires on this airline.
No, it was a completely miserable flight, despite the fact that United refused to stick an inferior 737/A319 over the E175 on this route.

Yes, there are some advantages to the 737/A319 most notably, hot food. However, in my opinion, the E175 is far more comfortable in Y, and similar in F, than the narrowbody mainline fleet.

The other things you mentioned including weight / balance issues could have happened on any plane.
JBord, BearX220, msglsmo and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Geez, is their service on the 737 product that bad now? Is their 737 service really that much worse than the E175 service? That's stunning. Because the E175 service sucks.
Old Nov 25, 19, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Geez, is their service on the 737 product that bad now? Is their 737 service really that much worse than the E175 service? That's stunning. Because the E175 service sucks.
Service on UA varies from flight to flight. Ive had great crews on E175s and terrible crews on mainline, and Ive had the inverse also.

I think youre extrapolating a lot from one experience. The winds must have been fierce, as LGA-IAH is nowhere near the E175s range limit UA flies SFO-MSN on the E175, and I dont remember hearing anything about regular technical stops or blocked seats.
ajGoes and BearX220 like this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Why does United fly this tiny plane on this 1600 mile route?
Not to nitpick, but IAH-LGA is 1,416 miles.
Old Nov 25, 19, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Why does United fly this tiny plane on this 1600 mile route? Do they really have that little business? Is WN and AA completely kicking their butts in the NYC market? Is it either this, or drop the LGA routes, like they did with JFK?
Not sure how WN/AA is winning the market considering AA doesn't fly LGA-IAH and WN only flies LGA-HOU. The only real competitor on the route is DL flying 4x daily on A220 (vs. 8x daily on UA on E175/73G/A319/A320). And if you must compare, WN flies 3x daily LGA-HOU.
ajGoes and SFHokie like this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
No, it was a completely miserable flight, despite the fact that United refused to stick an inferior 737/A319 over the E175 on this route.

Yes, there are some advantages to the 737/A319 most notably, hot food. However, in my opinion, the E175 is far more comfortable in Y, and similar in F, than the narrowbody mainline fleet.

The other things you mentioned including weight / balance issues could have happened on any plane.
+1. E175 seats are wider, and in pairs. And f has single seats. Only problem is overhead bins, they run out quick. I prefer the e175 to the various narrow body boings and airbi
Old Nov 25, 19, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Count me in as someone who would happily take an E175 over a Boeing/Airbus narrowbody on a midcon flight.
Old Nov 25, 19, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL DM
The E75 is my favorite narrow body. More comfortable than anything else they have by far.
Old Nov 25, 19, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Wink

...The lavs ran out of potable water...
One suggestion for improving your experience on any upcoming flight...you might bring your own water bottle or try asking the attendants rather than drinking the lav water.

E175 is by far the most comfortable of the UAX fleet, and as noted above there are several categories in which they offer an improvement over mainline. How they do the calculus that puts this plane on that route is anybody's guess...
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

I actually do that. But I ran out of water, because the flight was supposed to be 4 hours, but wound up taking 9.
Old Nov 25, 19, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bart889 View Post
Not to nitpick, but IAH-LGA is 1,416 miles.
Not when airspace constraints force you to run it near SAV. ~1575 mi direct IAH-SAV-LGA.
Old Nov 25, 19, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
From a pure plane vs plane perspective, the E175 is more passenger friendly from a seating perspective, especially in Y. The 737/A320 families are slightly faster from a cruising speed perspective.
Old Nov 25, 19, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Count me among those - that I believe is the majority on this board - that would take an e175 transcon in a heartbeat over a UA 737 or A319/20. In coach Id take it over any plane in UAs fleet. From reading your post it sounds like a lot happened that had little or nothing to do with the aircraft.
djmp, Slouchman, ajGoes and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I much prefer the 175 to a 737...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: