Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Help a guilty ( broad shouldered) partner assuage some guilt (pay for E+ or PP?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help a guilty ( broad shouldered) partner assuage some guilt (pay for E+ or PP?)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold

My 6'5", very broad shouldered, no-status BF is flying SFO-TPE on a 77W this week, currently in 56B. He strongly prefers aisle seats because of how tall he is. Row 45 is available for $199 and Premium Plus window seats are available for $600.

I would normally just pay the $199 to put him in 45C or 45J, but I worry how narrow exit row seats are on a 3-4-3 plane for his shoulders. Is it worth the extra $400 to go to Premium Plus? Is the seat that much wider/better than exit row E+? Based on the seat map below, where would you put your SO, and how much would you spend?

Last edited by bioyuki; Nov 25, 2019 at 11:42 am Reason: tweaked title
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bioyuki
....I would normally just pay the $199 to put him in 45C or 45J, but I worry how narrow exit row seats are on a 3-4-3 plane for his shoulders. Is it worth the extra $400 to go to Premium Plus? Is the seat that much wider/better than exit row E+? ...
The PP seat will have close to 4" inch more shoulder space per passenger.

Think of it this way 10 seats vs 8 seats. roughly 25% more seat width at the shoulder level
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Exit row 45 also has reduced width as the video monitors stow underneath the armrest. So legs/hips may not touch but shoulder may still touch.

Move him away from 56B - 56A and 56C will thank you.

As to $ - if you can afford it go the PE route. I would but ymmv.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Being broad shouldered myself, I feel his pain. I was going to enthusiastically push for PE - but looking at the seat map, all remaining seats are middle or window😱. No aisles!

Best thing for broad shoulders is that aisle space to spill into! Maybe I’d reluctantly take the window PE, but less of a no brainer. Your call!
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Being broad shouldered myself, I feel his pain. I was going to enthusiastically push for PE - but looking at the seat map, all remaining seats are middle or window😱. No aisles!

Best thing for broad shoulders is that aisle space to spill into! Maybe I’d reluctantly take the window PE, but less of a no brainer. Your call!
Don't forget after moving up to PP that monitoring the seatmap closer to check-in may reveal aisle space opening up due to upgrades from PP to Polaris.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
You might also want to consider 33G, 46D or G. The alternative is look toward the back of the plane and see if there are any aisle seats with empty middles - might want to try your luck and hope they don't get assigned.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
I haven't flow PP on UA yet, but I have done SQ's PE on a 777, which is a very similar hard product in terms of width, both being 2-4-2. I am 6'4" and wide. I had a window seat in PE SF-HKG RT and was very comfortable and did not touch my neighbor. I did have the infinite legroom seats up front though.
Also, if he pays for E+, I would bet 33G is the least likely empty seat to have a neighbor on the plane. It is an extra cost seat and an orphan aisle in the middle. So if he goes that route, I'd pick that over the exit row.
The exit row will also be more likely to attract middle seaters with no other choices because people love exit rows, and I bet you can leave those seats without waking your neighbor.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by bioyuki
My 6'5", very broad shouldered, no-status BF
Now that's not a nice thing to say about him!

A more serious comment, if he's really broad shouldered, I think any PP seat (which could be upgraded to an aisle later if you monitor the seat map) is going to be far more comfortable for him than Y+ on a 10 across 777. I think you should spring for it. He'll also get some better food and bedding.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 25, 2019 at 4:03 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Now that's not a nice thing to say about him!

Personally, I'd also go for the PP window. If I always prefer a window seat if I'm going to try to sleep (which is admittedly hard for me when I'm not in J); there's no one who might need to wake you so that they can get to a lav.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
Thank you all for your input!

33G was a good call given the orphan middle seat, but someone (likely a two party group) snagged that already so I put him in 45C. My only recompense is the price dropped from $199 to $135 when I was deciding. He really wants an aisle seat so he didn't want to chance PP and not have an aisle seat open up (but I agree with how wide open J looks, I'm sure at least a few folks will get upgraded and an aisle will open up).
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:20 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
I was in an exit row aisle (J) seat in E+ in one of these last year. I'm only somewhat broad-shouldered, but I was touching the guy next to me for the entire flight. It was so tight, that this experience made me stop flying United and I switched to JAL which has 3-3-3 in economy. I would probably go for Premium Plus, even the window seat would have better shoulder space than anything in E/E+.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
First off, when asking if [anything] is worth $[XXX], it's always a case of YMMV. I depends on what you value the most from your scarce income. As for me, I'm a broad shouldered big guy and I'm all about the aisle, but for the price difference of $400.00 on that flight, ANYTHING in P+ overrules ANYTHING in Y/Y+. While I've never flown in P+, it's only a notch under a Domestic First seat. In addition to the wider seat cushion, the armrest is wider and there is a small cocktail table between you and your seatmate.

TPG did a thorough review of the seat and has plenty of pictures.

TPG United Premium Plus
Hammerklavier likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I was under the notion that the PP seat was a notch above a domestic first seat due to the screens, drop down foot rest and extendable leg rest. I took PP SFO-HKG and you cannot get out of the middle or window seats without disturbing your neighbor. You can get out of the bulkhead middle seats without disturbing your neighbors, but then you'll potentially have a stranger on each side of you. Food service was similar to domestic first. My family and I are not the biggest folks width or height-wise so I doubt we'd take PP again since we fit into E+ easily. I have miles to burn and wanted to try the cabin.

As you mentioned, keep monitoring PP.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
after seeing the costs for the seats.. I miss the old days of just coach and first class
(yes I am showing my age) .. where you never paid for your seat assignment..
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:08 am

I’m a 6’5” broad shouldered male who has flown in both Y+ and PP on the 77W. In terms of comfort there is no comparison — the PP seat is worth every penny.

My experience in Y+ was that no amount of leaning could spare my rowmates and I from touching arms for the duration of the flight. The width of the seat is literally narrower than the width of my shoulders, and with three males in our row, there was simply no avoiding it. Your bf could theoretically lean way out into the aisle, but that’s a rather long flight to spend contorted in an awkward seating position.

The PP seat was akin to a domestic first seat. You won’t mistake it for J, but I never felt particularly uncomfortable nor cramped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.