Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does splitting reservation affect TSA -Pre for co-travelers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:21 am
Original Poster

I have 4 of us checked in for a flight tomorrow on the same PNR -- I am Premiere Silver, have Global Entry, and have the MP Explorer card (latter is probably irrelevant here), the others have none of the above. All 4 boarding passes have TSA-Pre on them, presumably because of my GE status, which is great (same happened last trip we took) -- but I know that's not a published or guaranteed thing with either GE or United although it reportedly is common.

My question is if I were to check the box to be eligible for upgrade (for my wife to sit in), which splits the reervation, would the Pre for the others go away because now they're not with me? As a Silver it's *extremely* unlikely I'll actually get upgraded, despite the relatlvely light (for holiday week) flights, and Pre is much much much more valuable to us for a 6:30am flight!

Any experiences splitting reservations either keeping or removing Pre from co-travelers?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No.

Do not make any changes for the others and make certain that they use those BP's at the checkpoint. Granting Pre-Check to passengers on the same PNR is random of itself.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, for me any companion on the same reservation gets pre check always.

If the reservation is split, the companion is dependant on his/her own Pre/GE/Nexus enrolment status.
SAPriorityTag and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I was literally going to ask the same question, except the upgrade is not looking good for me. So I have not split the PNR.

I am also not splitting, because I want to keep baggage and boarding "naturally intact" (I know there are workarounds to it, but I don't want to add complexity just so my name can appear on the list).
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Granting Pre-Check to passengers on the same PNR is random of itself.
I disagree. While it may not be a published benefit I have never had a multiple passenger PNR not grant TSA PRE to all passengers but have experienced it disappearing as soon as the PNR is split for upgrade. Definitely do not select separate or upgrade if TSA PRE is important to you!
sexykitten7 and GoSh4rks like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I was literally going to ask the same question, except the upgrade is not looking good for me. So I have not split the PNR.

I am also not splitting, because I want to keep baggage and boarding "naturally intact" (I know there are workarounds to it, but I don't want to add complexity just so my name can appear on the list).
Agree, and I'm likely not going to split for the same reasons. Not checking bags, but IROPs are much easier to deal with if on the same PNR.

Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
I disagree. While it may not be a published benefit I have never had a multiple passenger PNR not grant TSA PRE to all passengers but have experienced it disappearing as soon as the PNR is split for upgrade. Definitely do not select separate or upgrade if TSA PRE is important to you!
Thanks, this is exactly the report I was looking for. We're already checked in and I have the emailed PDF BPs, so they could likely go through security with those, but any updated mobile BPs or links would not have it, and of course all of the IROP etc potential issues. Not worth it for the 0.00000001% chance of one upgrade.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:53 pm

What happens if somebody gets the lovely SSSS?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
What happens if somebody gets the lovely SSSS?
All passengers already checked in and have pre-check, so SSSS is irrelevant.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
All passengers already checked in and have pre-check, so SSSS is irrelevant.
Not to mention I believe TSA PRE is for flights departing the US Airspace; whereas, SSSS is for flights entering US Airspace. The two are mutually exclusive.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
Not to mention I believe TSA PRE is for flights departing the US Airspace; whereas, SSSS is for flights entering US Airspace. The two are mutually exclusive.
Nope, you can get SSSS on flights entirely within US airspace.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC 25K
Originally Posted by mduell
Nope, you can get SSSS on flights entirely within US airspace.
Indeed. I used to get it every time on domestic flights during the early 2000s. I think it was because my passport was issued shortly after a bunch of blank passports had been stolen from the Canadian embassy in Manila. Fives year later, after my passport expired and I got a new one, I never got another SSSS.

Concerning the original question, when I travel with my partner she gets TSA Pre-Check every time (I am Nexus, she has no status), but if I split the reservation, she loses Pre-Check.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

To follow up, Pre was *massively* helpful this morning (huge line with people coming close to missing flights for regular, maybe 5 minutes total through Pre), so I'm very glad I didn't risk losing that. I believe the short 2hr flight left with 1 empty FC seat that might have been my wife's, but the 4 hour flight we're waiting for is chock full with a long upgrade waitlist so not even bothering to try re-checking in. And with a remote chance of IROPs here in DEN (though looks like the storm is later tonight/tomorrow) not worth risking not having Pre for a rebooked flight after split.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
data point: on the return flight from my trip (that I did not split) the UG looked good, so I waited til after checking bags and had the agent split the PNR, it was split and precheck has stuck for my companions (thier BPs are still on my phone, although they have indeed been moved from BG1 to BG3)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.