Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Where do used/unused amenity kits go after a flight?

Old Nov 23, 19, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum

What does United do with the unused and used amenity kits after a flight? Many amenity kits are partially used and left at the seat at the end of a flight. I assume United would not reuse these. Crew could take take them, but do they donate ones not taken to charity? Do they use the unopened ones on a later flight? It would seem a eco unfriendly to just toss them and unopened contents.

I am asking since after a trans-Atlantic flight I took, the majority of the Polaris passengers left the new black vinyl Star Wars amenity kit in the Polaris suite. Perhaps people don't want to take them with that large white Star Wars lettering/advertising on the side of the black bag.
Old Nov 23, 19, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Platnum (738k of MM), HH Diamond, MR Gold Elite
Apparently used ones go in the trash (and I suspect new ones too). I reuse mine to carry other things and once I left it in the seat pocket. When I went back the next day the United baggage claim agent told me it's probably in the trash and to fill out the online form. Of course it never reappeared.
Old Nov 23, 19, 8:51 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
A non-profit https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...nity-kits.html or https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...ly-handle.html
onthesam and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 23, 19, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was hoping this was the case. Thanks for sharing the article. They'll be getting lots of those Star Wars ones!
AndyInSaigon likes this.
Old Nov 23, 19, 8:58 pm

https://thepointsguy.com/news/heres-...left-on-board/
Old Nov 23, 19, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wonder what they did with those unloved Polaris tins.
Old Nov 23, 19, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Amanjunkie, Global Entry, CLEAR
Fly TPAC once a week and have never once taken a UA amenity kit off the flight. These recent SpiderMan and Starwars branded sellout advertising ones are the worst of the lot. Absolutely pathetic of UA to advertise to us when paying $10K for J tickets.

I routinely do keep them on EK, LX and NH, amongst some others.
chavala likes this.
Old Nov 24, 19, 3:19 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
My unopened Spiderman amemtity lots went to the grandsons of my neighbor. They loved them, especially the socks. The socks fitted the feet of the eight year old. 🤣

My Star Wars kitsch are going to my dad and son and the daughter of a dear friend as they are huge fans of Star Wars.

Some older unused kits go to family members when they travel.

I reuse my amenity kits.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Nov 24, 19 at 5:36 am
Old Nov 24, 19, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
my OWE kits, that are never opened always go to the a few children hospitals here in ATL and also to organizations that help kids with all types of mental and physical issues.

The staff, tell me, its often the parents that fight over them, and the kids just love them
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Nov 24, 19, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2021), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by CApreppie View Post
Wonder what they did with those unloved Polaris tins.
Those were the only items worth keeping. My picture hanging kit lives in one and various other items of hardware live in another. All the others go straight to trash, especially the childrens ones they hand out nowadays which combine being useless with being offensively ugly.
Old Nov 24, 19, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ainternational View Post
Fly TPAC once a week and have never once taken a UA amenity kit off the flight. These recent SpiderMan and Starwars branded sellout advertising ones are the worst of the lot. Absolutely pathetic of UA to advertise to us when paying $10K for J tickets.

Have to agree - movie advertising on an amenity kit is not what I would do if the goal is to elevate United's Polaris offering.
Old Nov 24, 19, 11:50 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CApreppie View Post
...black vinyl Star Wars amenity kit...
I am totally switching airlines.
Old Nov 24, 19, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCAFly View Post
I am totally switching airlines.
They are selling them on eBay if you want to take a look. Probably can get one for around $15-20 bucks. There are different ones for different cabins. The international Polaris one is the one with the zipper at the top with the black fabric zipper tag. https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...nes-star-wars/

I like the eye shades and socks this time better. I would not have used the Spiderman eye shade or socks.Those were clearly for fans.
Old Nov 24, 19, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational View Post

Horses for courses. I took the kits home for my kids who love them!
They use the bags for storing things.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: