Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 179/180 EWR-HKG-EWR going 3x/week ~ Eff. January 12, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 179/180 EWR-HKG-EWR going 3x/week ~ Eff. January 12, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Repooc17
How flexible is your travel schedule? You can pick a day later (or a later earlier) where the nonstop would operate to avoid connection and longer travel time.
Generally very flexible, but train (HFD-EWR) and hotel reservations have already been made.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by east_west
Beyond the problems with transit, Isn't the issue that ATC inside China often causes severe delays on these connections?
Bingo! The issue isn't necessarily the additional logistics or the lackluster lounge options, but rather the constant delays, up to multiple hours at the time.
wxguy likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Bingo! The issue isn't necessarily the additional logistics or the lackluster lounge options, but rather the constant delays, up to multiple hours at the time.
Yes. It is really important to understand the issue. Transiting a US airport is positively the worst. No airport in the US is really set up for international transfers, which is part of the reason why YVR does such a land office business, and why so much of the traffic to central/south america avoids the US. There is nothing like NRT/ICN/HKG where you an go though a clearance desk/security screening and then have access to the air side airport as you wait for your next flight. This is a major disadvantage for the US airlines, which otherwise would have access to much of the Asia/Europe to Central/South American traffic.

PEK/PVG both have modern transit desks, not really any different than other major airports such as NRT/ICN/HKG, the difference is that due to military air space restrictions they have chronic delays. Far worse than any US airport. Bottom line, I would not do a connection in PVG/PEK of less than 4 hours, unless you have a later back up flight... In contrast I have no problems doing a much shorter connection at NRT/ICN/HKG or other Asian airports like SIN or TPE.

The Hong Kong flights are taking it on the chin because their are a lot of other good options in Asia as places to transfer.
wxguy likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Fully aware of the delay issues have been raised, but that has been changed in the past 18 months due to additional allocation of air space for commercial aviation use.

Those chronic delays were frustrating and keeping passengers away. Thank god the issue has been made aware to the authority and they have done something about it at PEK. I cannot say about PVG, because I have not transited there in the past 18 months.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by east_west
Wow this is tough, a 7hr hit for NYC travelers... EWR-HKG is 16h, EWR-SFO-HKG is 22h50m with an uncomfortably short (1h27m) layover.
It's also going to increase connecting J traffic EWR-SFO, as if those flights weren't tight enough already. Hopefully we'll see more of the 77W and Polaris 772s on that route.
Originally Posted by spin88
The Hong Kong flights are taking it on the chin because their are a lot of other good options in Asia as places to transfer.
The irony is that as a transfer station, HKG is unaffected. Along with Changi, I think it's the best airport in the world for connecting (though HND and NRT are also awfully good).
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
I was returning on the 14th of Jan direct to EWR. I just checked now to see if there was an upgrade back to a 77W or a newly renovated 772. Now I see they booked me on the HKG-SFO-EWR but at least they confirmed me with upgrade I had all the way through. Any chance of asking them to put me on the HKG-SFO with the 77W? They put me on the 12:20 which uses a 772.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by eyuro
I was returning on the 14th of Jan direct to EWR. I just checked now to see if there was an upgrade back to a 77W or a newly renovated 772. Now I see they booked me on the HKG-SFO-EWR but at least they confirmed me with upgrade I had all the way through. Any chance of asking them to put me on the HKG-SFO with the 77W? They put me on the 12:20 which uses a 772.
Where do you see HKG-SFO with 77W? The schedule shows SFO-HKG 2x daily with 772 through eos.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Where do you see HKG-SFO with 77W? The schedule shows SFO-HKG 2x daily with 772 through eos.
My bad. Just realized now that it was switched to the 772 on both flights. I guess getting the upgrade all the way through including the SFO-EWR is good enough and I shouldn’t rock the boat.
paperwastage likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by drewguy
Oh how the tides have turned - these flights routinely were regarded as the hardest upgrades in the system for many years.
As I recall, in the past several years (well before any of the latest incidents) SFO-HKG was a reasonably easy upgrade on the right days, especially midweek. Certainly wasn't a sure bet, but not as impossible as, say, SIN.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dkc192
As I recall, in the past several years (well before any of the latest incidents) SFO-HKG was a reasonably easy upgrade on the right days, especially midweek. Certainly wasn't a sure bet, but not as impossible as, say, SIN.
It had the reputation for being harder than it was. I wouldn't quite call it an easy upgrade, but I cleared many times by choosing flights carefully.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 3:58 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
I've been through the HKG airport a few times in the last month, airside only. I noticed no ghost town. HKG airside seemed normal to me. UA lounge hasn't seemed as crowded lately, but given the GUM and ORD flights are gone...

Both UA HKG-SFO flights seem nearly fully booked these days, at least on Saturdays. HKG-EWR not quite as full. Both UA SFO-HKG flights might have about ten-twenty empty seats in Y each time that I've seen. CX probably has a very different client base. But ever since I've been getting E+ on UA, I do my best to avoid other airlines going through HKG for many years now. SQ SIN-HKG-SFO and Hong Kong airlines TPE-HKG were exceptions that I would rather have skipped.

I have a SFO-HKG-XMN flight coming up. Perhaps I should change planes somewhere else just in case, but I just don't like changing planes in mainland China if I can avoid it.
Still sad about the loss of GUM… I was on the second to last one last month.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
PEK Is fine if you get the routine down and know where you are going. After the initial experience, it has been fairly straight forward for me to BKK, SIN and other intra-Asia destinations.

To be honest, it is better than doing international-to-international at any of the US airports (Need to clear immigration and claim bags) or say FRA (maze to navigate).

It is all about familiarly and have a open mind.
Haha, try a T3 to T-2 connection and see if you still feel the same way.

Spoiler alert

You have to apply for a transit visa, go through immigration, exit the terminal, take a bus that goes on street levels around the airport in 30min if traffic isn't bad, get to the other terminal, go through various layers of security, and go through exit passport control, before finally being let in to a terminal so old and crappy it makes LaGuardia look like Changi. Easily a 3h+ ordeal.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 26, 2019 at 4:19 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
Still sad about the loss of GUM… I was on the second to last one last month.

Haha, try a T3 to T-2 connection and see if you still feel the same way.

Spoiler alert

You have to apply for a transit visa, go through immigration, exit the terminal, take a bus that goes on street levels around the airport in 30min if traffic isn't bad, get to the other terminal, go through various layers of security, and go through exit passport control, before finally being let in to a terminal so old and crappy it makes LaGuardia look like Changi. Easily a 3h+ ordeal.
T2-t3 or VV is one of the worst transfers for shear distance vs time.. and I say that as someone with a 10yr china visa.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Any idea why they picked the three days that they picked? Not running a Friday departure from Newark to Hong Kong (arriving Saturday night) is particularly annoying for me as that was my flight of choice to begin a work week on Monday.

Oh well ... I guess I'll have to slum it on CX.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RJNYC
Any idea why they picked the three days that they picked? Not running a Friday departure from Newark to Hong Kong (arriving Saturday night) is particularly annoying for me as that was my flight of choice to begin a work week on Monday.

Oh well ... I guess I'll have to slum it on CX.
I'd say most US-based business travelers prefer Saturday daytime departures, to arrive in Asia on Sunday night ahead of the work week.
Steve M likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
I'd say most US-based business travelers prefer Saturday daytime departures, to arrive in Asia on Sunday night ahead of the work week.
this.

for me running to Asia Saturday and returning from Asia Friday is ideal.

id hate to fly Friday and lose the entire day on Sunday to sitting around. If I can sit around I’d rather do it at home with wife and puppies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.