Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Question on Offer to Upgrade Using Miles + Co-Pay to Upgrade for PP/Polaris Business

Question on Offer to Upgrade Using Miles + Co-Pay to Upgrade for PP/Polaris Business

Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AA, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis PP, and others

I hoped this was simple, but then it wasn’t. I did search, but the posts found seemed to discuss the everything, but this specifically and I don’t want to lose out on a potential upgrade.

I am currently Silver. I have a flight upcoming in December to LIS to cross the line into Gold. I received an offer to upgrade the second leg of my return, which is LHR-ORD for 20,000 miles for PP ($100 air passenger duty fee) or 20,000 miles + $550 ($650 after air passenger duty fee) to Polaris Business. No waitlist for either and the seat selection looks good for both cabins, although I would be over the wing (767-200, 46/22/xx) on a window seat at best in Polaris.

I want to go for Polaris since I have never flown in this class before, and 9+ hours would be nice in a comfortable place, but I don’t see the ability to select a specific seat. I do not want to upgrade to end up in the middle seats. This is a day trip, so sunlight would be helpful to readjust time zones. Plus, I enjoy the window and Polaris would allow for me to not disturb anyone when I get up. That said, PP would be a new experience as well.

My questions:

1) Is the 20,000 + $650 a good/fair deal?
2) Will I be able to choose my seat after I accept the upgrade? Is there a delay in clearing even if there isn’t a wait list?

thanks
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
1) It depends how much 20,000 miles and 600 dollars are worth to you. If you look hard enough you can usually find a 2k RT P fare to Europe but then you would have to reposition to LIS.
2) yes
elfjets likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by elfjets
I hoped this was simple, but then it wasn’t. I did search, but the posts found seemed to discuss the everything, but this specifically and I don’t want to lose out on a potential upgrade.

I am currently Silver. I have a flight upcoming in December to LIS to cross the line into Gold. I received an offer to upgrade the second leg of my return, which is LHR-ORD for 20,000 miles for PP ($100 air passenger duty fee) or 20,000 miles + $550 ($650 after air passenger duty fee) to Polaris Business. No waitlist for either and the seat selection looks good for both cabins, although I would be over the wing (767-200, 46/22/xx) on a window seat at best in Polaris.

I want to go for Polaris since I have never flown in this class before, and 9+ hours would be nice in a comfortable place, but I don’t see the ability to select a specific seat. I do not want to upgrade to end up in the middle seats. This is a day trip, so sunlight would be helpful to readjust time zones. Plus, I enjoy the window and Polaris would allow for me to not disturb anyone when I get up. That said, PP would be a new experience as well.

My questions:

2) Will I be able to choose my seat after I accept the upgrade? Is there a delay in clearing even if there isn’t a wait list?

thanks
I consider it a fair deal to UG to Polaris and would take it myself, and UA miles are certainly worth less now, so it really isn't a bad offer. It's not a great deal though.

PP isn't worth it IMO. It is just a domestic F seat, but narrower, and the foot rests, leg rests are useless.

Also, if you are making a connection in ORD on the return, you get to use the Polaris Lounge while waiting for your flight, so that is nice.

Good Luck!
elfjets likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Will I be able to choose my seat after I accept the upgrade?
Yes you'll be able to select any open seat. Unlike many airlines, UA allows free choice of any open PE or business class seat.

It would actually be a nice perk if they blocked some of the better ones for elites, as most international carriers do.
elfjets likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My questions:

thanks
1). Yes
2). Yes
elfjets likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AA, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis PP, and others
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I consider it a fair deal to UG to Polaris and would take it myself, and UA miles are certainly worth less now, so it really isn't a bad offer. It's not a great deal though.

PP isn't worth it IMO. It is just a domestic F seat, but narrower, and the foot rests, leg rests are useless.

Also, if you are making a connection in ORD on the return, you get to use the Polaris Lounge while waiting for your flight, so that is nice.

Good Luck!
ORD would be my final stop, so in that regard, I would miss the Polaris lounge. I was hoping that LHR would have theirs open by now, but it still seems to be a work in progress.

EDIT - If I wanted to upgrade through a normal upgrade, the seat would be $1521.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: *

I want to go for Polaris since I have never flown in this class before, and 9+ hours would be nice in a comfortable place, but I don’t see the ability to select a specific seat. I do not want to upgrade to end up in the middle seats.
There are no 'middle' seats in Polaris on this route. Unless to are referring to the non-window seats? If so I would not let that be the deciding factor. All seats are great. Indeed in the new Polaris cabin some of the most spacious pods are in the center row.

BTW also check what they are asking for cash upgrade. I have an ex LHR flight in two weeks and got email yesterday asking only $621 for an upgrade to J (231 to PP) which is less than the 650 plus 20,000 miles (and wait-list) if I choose to upgrade with miles.
elfjets likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
....I want to go for Polaris since I have never flown in this class before, and 9+ hours would be nice in a comfortable place, but I don’t see the ability to select a specific seat. I do not want to upgrade to end up in the middle seats. This is a day trip, so sunlight would be helpful to readjust time zones. Plus, I enjoy the window and Polaris would allow for me to not disturb anyone when I get up. That said, PP would be a new experience as well.

My questions:

I like PP and choose to fly that myself.

It is a great experience to fly Polaris - be careful it makes it tough to be in Y going forward. 😉

I prefer using Polaris for the redeye flights as I want to sleep but others prefer it for the daytime flights as you get the service. Either way Polaris is a great experience and I would go for it.

Yes to both your questions.
elfjets likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ani90
There are no 'middle' seats in Polaris on this route. Unless to are referring to the non-window seats? If so I would not let that be the deciding factor. All seats are great. Indeed in the new Polaris cabin some of the most spacious pods are in the center row.

BTW also check what they are asking for cash upgrade. I have an ex LHR flight in two weeks and got email yesterday asking only $621 for an upgrade to J (231 to PP) which is less than the 650 plus 20,000 miles (and wait-list) if I choose to upgrade with miles.
Yes, I meant the D/F seats. (I’ll get the various FT abbreviations down eventually.) I like the privacy of the odd-numbered window seats. If I wasn’t clear before, there was never a waitlist for this leg. The cash upgrade offer was $1321 for LHR-ORD J. Definitely wasn’t interested in spending that much, especially with miles to burn.

As a follow-up to the original posting, I decided to go for the J upgrade. The reviews for J on the 767-300 just looked really good. When I tried to upgrade online, I received an error with instructions to call Web Support when I tried to complete the payment. When I called in, they were able to select the seat I wanted in addition to completing the order. My new receipt shows I was only charged $550. No additional fee added.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: *
Yes, I meant the D/F seats. (I’ll get the various FT abbreviations down eventually.)
As a follow-up to the original posting, I decided to go for the J upgrade. The reviews for J on the 767-300 just looked really good. When I tried to upgrade online, I received an error with instructions to call Web Support when I tried to complete the payment. When I called in, they were able to select the seat I wanted in addition to completing the order. My new receipt shows I was only charged $550. No additional fee added.
If you originate in LIS (ex-uk) you do not pay the $100 air passenger duty
elfjets likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Yes, I meant the D/F seats. (I’ll get the various FT abbreviations down eventually.) I like the privacy of the odd-numbered window seats. If I wasn’t clear before, there was never a waitlist for this leg. The cash upgrade offer was $1321 for LHR-ORD J. Definitely wasn’t interested in spending that much, especially with miles to burn.

Good decision. I know you'll like the Polaris seat. It is well designed and comfortable. In addition, the experience up front is so much better, you'll never want to fly in Y again.

Welcome to the club!
elfjets likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ani90
If you originate in LIS (ex-uk) you do not pay the $100 air passenger duty
Then that was most likely the reason for the website error. My path home is LIS-LHR-ORD. LIS-LHR is on TP, but still on the same 016 ticket.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Good decision. I know you'll like the Polaris seat. It is well designed and comfortable. In addition, the experience up front is so much better, you'll never want to fly in Y again.

Welcome to the club!
Well, thanks for the welcome! Happy to be here

I’ve flown in the front before, just not on an international flight. I haven’t flown a domestic carrier for a TATL flight in years for that matter. TK, EM, LH, KLM, all wonderful experiences overseas in economy. I live in E+ on UA domestic mainly due to work. Lots of travel and OPM spent this year, but only Silver so far. I’ll grow up to be like rest of the club eventually!

Thanks for the insight on this everyone!
Old Nov 24, 2019, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Then that was most likely the reason for the website error. My path home is LIS-LHR-ORD. LIS-LHR is on TP, but still on the same 016 ticket.
As long as you are scheduled for 24 hours or less in LHR, then you do not owe APD.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.