Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What does a low-carb vegan do for in-flight meals on UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What does a low-carb vegan do for in-flight meals on UA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Coffee with margarine? Ice cubes? Vegetables?

All kinds of options for low-carb vegans...

Do what I do before most every long-haul flight- Fast for 24-30 hours. It alleviates jet lag as a bonus.

Problem solved...
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by thebakaronis
To avoid having to make such choices in the future, what does a person in my situation do? None of the special meals that UA offers is meat free and low carb.

Yeah, buying food at the airport isn't always practical because of variable food availability.

Eat at home for flights ranging from 14 hours to sometimes 30 hours? Seriously?
Without getting into judgment calls into the validity of your choices or whatever, I'm not sure what kind of answer you are looking for. If:
  • You don't want to eat any of the on-board special meals, of which there are only a finite number, and an airline isn't going to cater one specific meal just for you; and
  • You can't buy food at the airport because of availability/timing, which can definitely happen if your layovers are at unsociable times or too short; and
  • You can't eat at home beforehand because the trip is too long, which makes sense;
Then it seems like the only thing to do is to bring shelf-stable food from home for these long trips with unsuitable on-board meals and no opportunity to buy at the airport?

I'm not sure what else would be the answer if you have dismissed all of the normal choices -- sometimes there just isn't an easy answer if there are too many restrictions set.
m.y, narvik, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by pdx1
...Last two SFO-SIN flights and IAH-LIM on United have not loaded special meal request in J
Same here for Asian vegetarian SFO-HKG and HKG-SFO. Confirmed they were on the reservation before both flights.

You would think with systems these days catering could get that right.

I am a huge proponent of being able to select your meal choice(s) before you get on the flight.

How to solve your problem? Hopefully United starts thinking about streamlining processes and catering would seem to be one of these areas.

Or fly *A. United is encouraging such choices with the PQP requirement and I find very good food choices on other airlines. Oh and bring high quality snacks - think of United as LCC where you need to bring your own food.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Delta, United
As a low-carb vegan, I've generally not ordered any special meal in more than a decade. The reason is that special meals like various vegetarian ones are usually loaded with carbs. If I had to pick my poison, I'd eat meat over carbs. More specifically, the only exception to the no-meat rule I have has been chicken and I've always found a chicken option on flights. But on a recent TPAC flight, the only choices were a carb-filled vegetarian pasta (with cream sauce) or pork. I ended up eating pork. Very reluctantly.

To avoid having to make such choices in the future, what does a person in my situation do? None of the special meals that UA offers is meat free and low carb.
Easy, actually become a vegan. Pack some raw nuts and avocados if you still suffer from a fear of carbs.
Miggles likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:07 pm

I would suggest you bring your own food
Miggles likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 23, 2019 at 12:34 pm Reason: Discuss the issue; not the poster
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by anniegray
i have to agree with bogwoppit. I am an extremely fussy eater and rarely like airline food, so I just have something in the lounges, then I might find something to pick at, usually from the starters or dessert.
I can survive a flight without food , I rarely move so don't use up much calories!
Ssme.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
OP did not ask for comments on their lifestyle but rather suggestions on how to manage their UA travels. So let's stay focus on how to travel on UA with certain diet constraints. Other subjects such as the source of allergies seem best for elsewhere.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Nov 23, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
Bring your own. Yes it is possible even long haul. I have issues and always bring my own. Get a decent lunch bag and pack it with whatever you like.Yes its easier traveling from home, but it can be done the other way as well. Pack a couple of ziplock bags for ice. Pack ice when heading to the airport. You will have to dump it at each security point, but can always get more at any bar or restaurant along the way. I have gotten many strange looks in long haul first when I decline their food, but I would rather be safe than sorry. In your case low carb will be leaning towards veggies, fruits and legumes. Sounds easy to me to pack a bunch of raw cut veggies, some fruit and some beans into a couple of Tupperware containers or takeout containers. You can even pack them in bags. Roasted chickpeas work well in this case.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by nydave11
In your case low carb will be leaning towards veggies, fruits and legumes. Sounds easy to me to pack a bunch of raw cut veggies, some fruit and some beans into a couple of Tupperware containers or takeout containers.
You do realize the foods you mention are all high in carbohydrates? A truly low carb vegan would have to primarily eat high fat plant foods such as nuts/seeds, avocados, and oils since most whole plant foods are naturally high in complex carbohydrates and fiber. We can debate the healthfulness of various diets but the real truth is that there really is no healthy option on US based airlines when it comes to any of the meals they serve, specially ordered or otherwise. I've seen some foreign carriers with fresh fruit and raw veggie meals but have yet to see that when ordering special meals on UA or Delta.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler 1K, AA Plat, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat etc etc
I have quite a few diet preferences - vegetarian, low carb, low/no added sugar, etc... I also only eat certain kinds of lettuce, fruit, and vegetables... but my biggest issue is allergy (technically sensitivity) to bell peppers. I can’t have them anywhere any way. “Vegetarian” to most chefs = load it up with bell peppers so ordering ahead doesn’t work. I will do chicken or pasta or bread in a blue moon of desperation, but I won’t eat pigs or cows no matter what...

So I get the closest thing they have to offer, pick around what works and leave what doesn’t. Decline the desserts and breads. Often decline the whole meal.

And as others have said, I bring my own. Meal bars, protein shake mixes, nuts, certain fruits. Sometimes veggie sticks. Enough to get me where I’m going (which are often 24-36 hour+ itineraries), supplemented with appropriate Lounge snacks. Do similar on the return but usually rely more on the Lounge food on the way home from international.

Even with all these restrictions I gained weight this year. 😳
Old Nov 23, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I have to eat strict gluten free due to being celiac. I also choose to eat low/no added sugar and non-processed carbs.
I have a handful of bars I purchase and I always carry tons of seeds/nuts.
I also travel with yellow/dry/aged cheese that can survive without refirgeration
The best I can hope for is a good cup of fresh coffee
The only decent gluten free meal was on LH First. The flight attendant apologized for the simplicity of the meal but I thought it was the best meal on a flight ever. Caviar may not be vegan/vegetarian but it is still gluten free.

So in response to the OP, when you have certain dietary restrictions, just simply do not count of the airline to cater to you.
JetBunny, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by Tatoosh
You do realize the foods you mention are all high in carbohydrates? A truly low carb vegan would have to primarily eat high fat plant foods such as nuts/seeds, avocados, and oils since most whole plant foods are naturally high in complex carbohydrates and fiber. We can debate the healthfulness.....,
Grab an impossible burger at the airport. Those nasty things are everywhere now. Granted they are over processed and have some terrible ingredients, but hey, they are meatless.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 23, 2019 at 8:31 pm Reason: discuss the issue; not the poster
Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:59 pm

Eat at home for flights ranging from 14 hours to sometimes 30 hours? Seriously?
Actually, yes. Going low carb and vegan takes A LOT of planning. I would definitely schedule an intermittent fast during a long flight, especially when I know that the food they serve won't suit my diet.
JetBunny likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: UA GS
Eat at home for flights ranging from 14 hours to sometimes 30 hours? Seriously? I think our travel patterns are vastly different.
12 hours at best 24 hours at worst. I eat before flying and at connecting airports by default. Nuts and fruit on plane for snack.
JetBunny likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.