Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

*A Interline agreement - only same day with SN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*A Interline agreement - only same day with SN

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
My experience differs, at least in Asia and much of Europe, where flights leave 24 hrs a day it is common for interline baggage to cross midnight, and 10-24 hr times between connections are not uncommon. I have heard of 8 hour limits for some airports, but never heard of a "after midnight" restriction.
By the way, many flights leave TLV at 10pm and 11pm, would they all be ineligible for interlining baggage at a connection by this logic?

Furthermore, this is undocumented - my query to the forum is how should one know about any such restriction in advance? Expert Flyer shows interline baggage agreements, but not any time limitations.

I have about 2MM BIS miles and thought I had seen everything - this is a new one for me.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
By the way, many flights leave TLV at 10pm and 11pm, would they all be ineligible for interlining baggage at a connection by this logic?
No. The "overnight" or the time limit is based on the time at the connection point. The OP arrived at 8pm and departed around 10am, which is overnight, plus more than 12 hours. If their departure from TLV had been 11pm they would have arrived at the connection point around 3am, at which point it would not have been an overnight connection.

As you've said, some airlines do allow bags to be checked for much longer connections - I once had LH check my bags through on a 23 hour "connection", despite the fact I didn't want them to. Thankfully they were quick to get them back for me once I realized what they had done.

(I don't know SN's policy so I have no idea if they were right to refuse the interline or not)
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It seems to there may be a bit of a misperception of what actually occurred here.

SN contract staff at TLV declined to check bags through b/c of a claimed restriction on checking bags overnight. Regardless whether that was a correct interpretation of SN's rules by its contract staff, this was not an "interline" issue. It was a restriction on checking bags overnight. Same would have held if you were connecting SN-SN (or UA-UA, since UA imposes a similar restriction on overnight bags).
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Furthermore, this is undocumented - my query to the forum is how should one know about any such restriction in advance? Expert Flyer shows interline baggage agreements, but not any time limitations.
It isn’t undocumented; several people have pointed out exactly where the documentation is, in fact, and that’s based upon the originating carrier’s rules for through-checking baggage. Any time limitations are independent of the next carrier on the itinerary — it’s simply a matter of each airline setting and enforcing rules about what constitutes enough of a break in travel to have the luggage delivered vs. have it transferred.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.