Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A salute to freshairborne--happy retirement

A salute to freshairborne--happy retirement

Old Nov 17, 19, 10:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Northern California
Programs: UAMP
Posts: 16
A salute to freshairborne--happy retirement

If I've done my math correctly, today is the day frequent contributor and United pilot, "freshairborne" retires. I just wanted to give a shoutout and wish the best of luck.
tromer, DCA writer, mmack and 17 others like this.
greytop13 is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 3:40 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Platinum
Posts: 133
Originally Posted by greytop13 View Post
If I've done my math correctly, today is the day frequent contributor and United pilot, "freshairborne" retires. I just wanted to give a shoutout and wish the best of luck.
I was on a flight Saturday (Nov 16th) that the FA announced as the pilot's finale after a long & distinguished career, which generated a hearty round of applause upon landing. I wonder if this was "freshairborne"? The slightly embarrassing part is I took three flights that day -- PVG-SFO-DEN-AUS -- and they all blur, so I can't remember which included the announcement. I'm pretty sure it was PVG-SFO. Or a different retiring pilot entirely, which seems like an unlikely coincidence? Y/N?
greytop13 likes this.
mehitabel is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 7:31 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 7,847
Retirement flights arenít necessarily on the pilotís birthday, but two pilots in the system hit the 65 mark yesterday, and suffice to say, one of them is not FAB!

Whether your last flight was yesterday or earlier, congratulations, Captain, and enjoy your retirement! I think I speak for many when I say I hope you choose to continue with your valuable contributions to the forum.
greytop13 likes this.
EWR764 is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 8:58 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 7,153
Originally Posted by mehitabel View Post
Or a different retiring pilot entirely, which seems like an unlikely coincidence? Y/N?
According to this article, "Close to half of Unitedís roughly 12,500 pilots will retire over the next 10 years".

That's an average of 12 pilots retiring every week, so two on one day would not not at all be unlikely.
ajGoes and notquiteaff like this.
docbert is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 9:25 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 9,975
Originally Posted by greytop13 View Post
If I've done my math correctly, today is the day frequent contributor and United pilot, "freshairborne" retires. I just wanted to give a shoutout and wish the best of luck.
Congratulations, Captain! More time for posting on Flyertalk
ajGoes likes this.
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 10:16 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BDL/NYC/BOS
Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Posts: 1,692
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
According to this article, "Close to half of Unitedís roughly 12,500 pilots will retire over the next 10 years".

That's an average of 12 pilots retiring every week, so two on one day would not not at all be unlikely.
there are 28 retiring in the next 30 days; 89 in the next 90. 366 in 2020.
riphamilton is offline  
Old Nov 18, 19, 12:23 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KEWR
Programs: Marriott Platinum
Posts: 622
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Retirement flights arenít necessarily on the pilotís birthday, but two pilots in the system hit the 65 mark yesterday, and suffice to say, one of them is not FAB!

Whether your last flight was yesterday or earlier, congratulations, Captain, and enjoy your retirement! I think I speak for many when I say I hope you choose to continue with your valuable contributions to the forum.
I know exactly who you are referring to. That one is most definitely not FAB!
EWR764 likes this.
clubord is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: