Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A salute to freshairborne--happy retirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP

If I've done my math correctly, today is the day frequent contributor and United pilot, "freshairborne" retires. I just wanted to give a shoutout and wish the best of luck.
tromer, DCA writer, mmack and 17 others like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by greytop13
If I've done my math correctly, today is the day frequent contributor and United pilot, "freshairborne" retires. I just wanted to give a shoutout and wish the best of luck.
I was on a flight Saturday (Nov 16th) that the FA announced as the pilot's finale after a long & distinguished career, which generated a hearty round of applause upon landing. I wonder if this was "freshairborne"? The slightly embarrassing part is I took three flights that day -- PVG-SFO-DEN-AUS -- and they all blur, so I can't remember which included the announcement. I'm pretty sure it was PVG-SFO. Or a different retiring pilot entirely, which seems like an unlikely coincidence? Y/N?
greytop13 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Retirement flights aren’t necessarily on the pilot’s birthday, but two pilots in the system hit the 65 mark yesterday, and suffice to say, one of them is not FAB!

Whether your last flight was yesterday or earlier, congratulations, Captain, and enjoy your retirement! I think I speak for many when I say I hope you choose to continue with your valuable contributions to the forum.
greytop13 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mehitabel
Or a different retiring pilot entirely, which seems like an unlikely coincidence? Y/N?
According to this article, "Close to half of United’s roughly 12,500 pilots will retire over the next 10 years".

That's an average of 12 pilots retiring every week, so two on one day would not not at all be unlikely.
ajGoes and notquiteaff like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by greytop13
Congratulations, Captain! More time for posting on Flyertalk
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by docbert
According to this article, "Close to half of United’s roughly 12,500 pilots will retire over the next 10 years".

That's an average of 12 pilots retiring every week, so two on one day would not not at all be unlikely.
there are 28 retiring in the next 30 days; 89 in the next 90. 366 in 2020.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EWR764
Retirement flights aren’t necessarily on the pilot’s birthday, but two pilots in the system hit the 65 mark yesterday, and suffice to say, one of them is not FAB!

Whether your last flight was yesterday or earlier, congratulations, Captain, and enjoy your retirement! I think I speak for many when I say I hope you choose to continue with your valuable contributions to the forum.
I know exactly who you are referring to. That one is most definitely not FAB!
EWR764 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.