Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Active duty military denied access at IAD United Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Active duty military denied access at IAD United Club

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chavala
This belongs in the DYKWIA thread.
Do we have a DYKWMDI thread?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
We weren't allowed to accept any benefits like upgrades or free drinks in the bar. =
I have a friend who works for a large governmental agency and states that this is true for him as well: no freebies, as it can be seen as trying to influence the government. Either he gets charged what everyone else does, or he pays the rate that the US Government has already negotiated.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I’ll bet there were at least a few dozen people in the lounge who would have voluntarily left to make space — if that was the issue.
Or guested her in...
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by meducate
Or guested her in...
If I were traveling alone and I'd have been within earshot of that conversation, I would have guested her in. As well as thanked her for her service.
meducate likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by meducate
Or guested her in...
My daughter is ex military (finished 8 years), I would have guested her in and anyone with her if I had seen that go down. I won't and can't go into what these people do for us everyday and the price they pay for so little in return.
meducate and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:51 pm

too much

[Moderator edit of off-topic remarks] They [military] are government employees by choice--should not be accepting handouts like all other government employees.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Nov 12, 2019 at 1:20 pm Reason: To edit remarks that are for OMNI/PR and not for the United forum.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nomad420
My daughter is ex military (finished 8 years), I would have guested her in and anyone with her if I had seen that go down. I won't and can't go into what these people do for us everyday and the price they pay for so little in return.
If it’s that horrible a deal then don’t sign up. Once you sign on, don't piss and moan about how terrible it is.

Seems like UA enforced its policy by the book v being creative to find a win win.
chavala likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
If it’s that horrible a deal then don’t sign up. Once you sign on, don't piss and moan about how terrible it is.

Seems like UA enforced its policy by the book v being creative to find a win win.
This isn't a political forum or site so won't go there but I am speechless. Never said anything about my daughter or anyone else "pissing and moaning" about there service. DO I FEEL they are not paid enough, sure. Do many come back F'ed up, sure. My daughter definitely suffers from PTSD for example. This is real disorder, not just some exaggerated psych issue. Enough, I'll move on. I guess you entitled to your opinion.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:27 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator Note

We've allowed a bit of latitude toward discussion of military flying United and seeking UC benefits because of the thread topic. But recent comments are getting us more into OMNI/PR territory.

As well, some recent posts are getting more heated than what Rule 12 allows by discussing members in a more personalized way. Going forward in this thread, let's avoid undue personalization or political commentary re the military. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderator.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:18 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by andrewstahl
To answer some of the naysayers, my daughter was not in uniform. She is over 21. She showed her orders and boarding pass to the lounge dragon. She asked if the lounge was full and she was told there there was space available.

My daughter is USNA grad. She is respectful and polite. She has travelled extensively both personally and for the Navy. She has accessed various airline clubs while traveling on orders many times.

Some people will say that it was the act of a single employee and not the airline. However, I am reasonably confident that the United IAD club gets a lot of DC area military. The lounge dragons should know the policy.

I travel extensively and have seen both good and bad customer by airline employees. I have never seen or heard of an active duty military service member turned away by a lounge dragon.
Your daughter sounds like an impressive young lady, you should be justly very proud. At the same time I will echo the sentiment that United Airlines, as a matter of both policy and my personal observations, is very respectful of our members of the armed services. One bad apple or a normally good person having a bad day shouldn’t bring us to condemn the lot. We’re all exposed to random acts of poor service or ugly behavior. The important thing is to not take it personally or see ourselves as a victim, anyone with your daughters level of accomplishment is clearly better than that.
meducate, narvik, Kacee and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
We’re all exposed to random acts of poor service or ugly behavior.
How come there isn't a thread every time we're exposed a random act of GOOD service? No one complains when a "rogue" agent breaks a policy (and we're still not sure that they did in this case) and it works out in our favor...

Last edited by tylerdurden4543; Nov 12, 2019 at 10:23 pm
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
How come there isn't a thread every time we're exposed a random act of GOOD service? No one complains when a "rouge" agent breaks a policy (and we're still not sure that they did in this case) and it works out in our favor...
Actually there is.

Positive Experiences with UA
ajGoes and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
How come there isn't a thread every time we're exposed a random act of GOOD service? No one complains when a "rogue" agent breaks a policy (and we're still not sure that they did in this case) and it works out in our favor...
Personally I keep quiet about it since I don't want to get them in trouble
STS-134 and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:51 am

the title is just a description of the event...

Originally Posted by JNelson113
This thread title is over the top given that this is one incident and we don't yet know the details as to why she may have been denied entry.
Nothing in the title seems over the top. Was she denied entry? yes, it seems that way so what’s the issue with stating facts?
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Lifestyle Design
Nothing in the title seems over the top. Was she denied entry? yes, it seems that way so what’s the issue with stating facts?
The original title accused United of mistreating a member of the military on Veterans Day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.