Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Active duty military denied access at IAD United Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Active duty military denied access at IAD United Club

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
If I were told NO Admittance by the front desk I would say OK because it probably saved me from salty snacks, unnecessary cookie I don't need and some rude other entitled guest talking loudly on their phones as if they were in a corner office with sound proof.
Agreed. Hardly worth the rant for a few carrots, some oatmeal, and the oasis of relaxation that is an IAD UC.

I just hope she got to pre-board correctly (thank you for your service).
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
This feels less and less like a United policy problem and more and more like a helicopter parent intervening on behalf of his adult daughter (whom we haven't heard a word from).
OP even says the daughter is a USNA grad, which I assume means Annapolis and also implies that she would be an officer.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Not sure what you all are referring to, but the UA club in the D gates is pretty good.
Yeah, it's great. Dingy with not much natural light, a bar smaller than the UC's at C17 and C7 such that when the D8 club is full, the wait time is ridiculous, and in the summer when the AC fails, a sweatbox.

The Lounge dragons there are nice, I'll give you that. And it's better than the AF/KLM club in the B concourse, but that's not setting the bar very high.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Careful there! I would put the UCs on par with the TK lounge and would argue that at least for breakfast selection on offer from UA is hands down better than what was available when I was there in March (i.e. yogurt, cereals and fruit). Perhaps the food situation is better later in the day but early morning it is a disappointment.
I was at IAD about 2-3 weeks ago, and I went lounge hopping. My favorite lounges were LH and TK; my least favorite were the UCs. Here is what was on the menu at TK:

TK Lounge IAD Food Selection

TK Lounge IAD Food Plate

At the UC lounge on the other hand, it was literally just this, plus one or two soups:

United Club IAD Food

So yeah, I'd definitely make the trip out to TK, at least during the afternoon. No idea what TK has in the morning; maybe it's much more limited, but in the afternoon and evening, it blows away anything they have at the UCs.

On the other hand, the TK lounge does have an adequate shower, something that cannot be said about any Domestic United Club. The business centre (which is obviously the main attraction of a lounge) is also a disappointment, limited desk space and the printer they had on site didn't seem to let me send it documents like I could at United Clubs. For my money, I'd much rather be in the neighbouring Senator lounge which I hear also has showers.
I didn't use the showers, but I think the TK lounge showers are nicer than the LH lounge showers. The TK lounge also has a lot more space than the LH SEN lounge.

The Points Dude recently had an article discussing the various lounge access benefits offer to service members. AA and UA both have explicit policies that allow members of the military to enter their lounge. Interestingly, DL does not have such a policy but does offer one of their premium credit cards (which also includes Delta Club along with Priority Pass access) for free to active duty military members. Perhaps this is something OP should examine further.
But doesn't DL have a policy that you have to actually be flying DL (or a ST airline) in order to use their lounges? If so, that wouldn't have helped the OP's daughter in this situation.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by STS-134

So yeah, I'd definitely make the trip out to TK, at least during the afternoon. No idea what TK has in the morning; maybe it's much more limited, but in the afternoon and evening, it blows away anything they have at the UCs.
On our return from Hawaii we all went to the TK lounge for layover - morning spread was minimal on the food - but tons of pastries and a HUGE selection of fresh fruit. Was better than any UC for sure.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by andrewstahl
To answer some of the naysayers, my daughter was not in uniform.
Full stop. No need to go further. She's required to be in uniform. United lounge agent was following the rules. As a member of the armed forces, I'm sure your daughter understands the need for rules and protocol and following them.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:13 am

I found United to be effusive in their praise and courtesies if God forbid I had to travel in uniform...still legit to know why a guest was denied though.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: none
If any airline offers lounge access to service members in uniform or on appropriate orders, it's positive. It means they are supportive of the military, not "unfriendly". It's up to the lounge attendants to control access, and sometimes they get it wrong.

Compared to navigating four years and graduating from a service academy, not being able to enter a UC is not that big of a deal.

Get on with your life.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK some military personnel are forbidden to wear uniforms when traveling on commercial airlines while others might be ordered to wear their uniforms much more. It can be the decision of the base commander or similar officer (and depend on the nature of the post/duties as well as the current political climate) rather than a matter of individual preference given the tradeoffs.
This; for the Navy, we are directed to not travel in uniform. I take issue with the other services allowing their personnel to wear uniforms during travel for obvious safety/security issues. I am military, so before anyone jumps on me for saying this take that into context, but sometimes it comes across as a desire to parade around for the attention. Service members are not performing actual service duty at the airport or on a plane so there really is no need to travel in uniform. I have no problem with extending courtesies or benefits to traveling service members, but those are a privilege not a right. I have a UA Club membership and usually fly UA, but in the past couple of weeks (mainly a result of the Elite status requirements changing) I have switched to AA. In PHL and PHX I was denied entry due to capacity issues where they had a sign posted about day-passes and military service members not being accepted......despite the clubs being empty, I thanked them anyways and was on my way.

For whatever reason the OP's daughter was denied entry; clearly either it was an issue of not having the right set of orders, uniform, club being at capacity whatever. OP wasn't there and is relying on second hand information. Is it possible that it was a one-off agent? Possibly.....but there is more than one UA club at IAD so if it was that big of an issue OP's daughter should have either purchased a pass (and sent a letter to UA), or tried another club, End of story...
jsloan, MSPeconomist and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Free UC access when you USO lounge is already available
Boarding prior to GS/Family/1K
Free onboard food/drink
Greater checked bag allowance
Plus random FA/pax gifts (upgrades, etc)

Seems like UA is pretty friendly to the group of people who volunteer choose this occupation. Police, fire, paramedic, etc don't get anything. Even UA's top tier customers don't have it as good.

Now, I do agree, I've always found it strange that they require them to be in uniform when one can just check ID. Some services explicitly advice service members not to travel in uniform.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
This; for the Navy, we are directed to not travel in uniform.
That depends on the command and travel factors though, right? There isn't a NAVPERS reg that requires directs civilian attire is there...?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
Full stop. No need to go further. She's required to be in uniform. United lounge agent was following the rules. As a member of the armed forces, I'm sure your daughter understands the need for rules and protocol and following them.
Ummm... yea, NO. Have you even actually read this thread? I'm not at all siding with the OP, but your statement/assertion is demonstrably false and has already been addressed in this thread (mutiple times)

The policy clearly states "in uniform OR..." meaning there is more than one method to obtain entry and being in uniform is only one method.

Here is the criteria, along with the source, for your reading pleasure:

Source: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-benefits.html

"We are pleased to invite active duty military members in uniform or with present leave orders or rest and recuperation papers to visit our United Club℠ locations on the same day they are traveling on a United- or United Express®-operated flight." (emphasis added)

If you are going to come on here and make "Full stop" authoritative declarations then it helps your credibility, tremendously, to actually be... ummm... correct.

Regards
MSPeconomist and truncated like this.

Last edited by scubadu; Nov 12, 2019 at 9:53 am
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could there be an age issue for admission if the OP's daughter is under 21 and the UA club lounge has a self service bar?
No. I have brought my daughter in. By law (at least in Virginia) the bar cannot be self service (which creates massive frustration at the LH lounge, where unlike most of the Senator lounges, you cannot pull your own beer from the tap).
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
That depends on the command and travel factors though, right? There isn't a NAVPERS reg that requires directs civilian attire is there...?
I don't know if there is a specific NAVPERS to tell you the truth, but I didn't think NWU's were authorized for travel so perhaps that was what I was thinking. I just haven't encountered any Navy personnel traveling in uniform and it usually is stamped on my orders that "travel civilian attire is directed." I'd venture to say most commands observe this, and I think it may go back to the TWA hijacking where a sailor was killed (albeit I don't think he was in uniform).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This belongs in the DYKWIA thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.