Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unable to change corporate / third party issued reservations via UA.com

Old Sep 26, 19, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott LT Platinum

It looks like united.com has implemented a new restriction. Tickets issued by travel agents cannot be changed on united.com. This restriction is new, since I've been able to change these tickets before. Here's the message:
Old Sep 26, 19, 6:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
It looks like united.com has implemented a new restriction. Tickets issued by travel agents cannot be changed on united.com. This restriction is new, since I've been able to change these tickets before. ....
Whlle this may be new to you, it is standard policy. You can request (by phone) to take over the ticket (there may be a service fee). Once UA takes over the TA may have trouble doing anything with the tickets and for corporate TAs, this can create problems.

There may be something new about these tickets (by the TA) that is now being flagged by united. But the reluctant to change TA tickets is not new.

Can you reveal the TA?

what influences who "owns" and can "touch" a reservation?

Airline won't help because "ticket was issued through a travel agent"

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 26, 19 at 6:55 pm
Old Sep 26, 19, 6:59 pm

It looks like united.com has implemented a new restriction. Tickets issued by travel agents cannot be changed on united.com. This restriction is new, since I've been able to change these tickets before. Here's the message:
+1
Definitely new. I noticed it a few days ago on a J class ticket issued through a TA.
Wasn't able to cancel on UA.com
Something I was able to do a few weeks ago.
Old Sep 26, 19, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Can you reveal the TA?
In this case it was Egencia. It may be standard practice, but (a) it wasn't previously enforced on united.com; and (b) UA often takes over the ticket when doing a GG BUYUP.
Old Sep 28, 19, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
This started about a month ago. Very annoying when e.g. trying to upgrade. They can do it over the phone.

I found that the app still works on most cases but YMMV.
Old Sep 29, 19, 12:06 am

Programs: UA, SWA, WJA, National, Marriott
Tickets I was booking this year through Concur/Carson Wagonlit did not have this restriction until a few weeks ago. Certainly a pain in the butt. I liked having the flexibility to make changes without calling United or the TA.
Old Sep 29, 19, 12:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Most likely a desire to allow the third party agencies to clean up their own mess.
moondog and FlyingNone like this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
We use American Express travel for corporate booking. I have seen this for some time now, as WineCountryUA mentioned, but it is not consistent in my experience. Some flights are restricted and some are not. I have even had the case where I made a change via the web site and when I went to make another change this message came up. You can call and they will override, but I was warned by the agent that if my company has special fares, the UA agents cannot see them/use them. I am not sure how accurate that is.
Old Sep 29, 19, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is your employer's decision. Your corporate TA has the capacity to inhibit changes it does not make (other than on day of travel IRROPS) and will do so if its contract with the employer requires it to do so.

This has nothing to do with UA and amounts to a labor issue for you.
Old Nov 10, 19, 3:27 pm

Unable to Change Corporate Reservations Via UA.com

My reservations are made through company's corporate travel site (Concur/Amex GBT). I use to be able to make changes to my reservation via United.com or the app, but up until recently, it is giving me the following message:
This ticket cannot be changed through United since it was purchased from a third-party.
Please contact your original ticketing agency to make changes. You can select alternate flights during check-in for same-day change or if your flight has been impacted with a delay or cancellation.

I've also notice a lack of SDC options as well. There is no way for me to access these via the app or the website. The 1K desk seems more than willing to assist with my changes when I call in, so it's not like I'm forced to go through the corporate TA.

Is this a new UA policy or something? Anyone else experiencing the same?
Old Nov 10, 19, 3:35 pm

I ran into the same thing for the first time last week after never having problems in the past. Corporate bookings through Concur, always able to change things using .com or the app, but starting last week had the same issues that you describe.
Halo117 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 19, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Same issue here today. Annoying as heck and on a weekend no less.
Old Nov 10, 19, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Titanium (LT Plat), Hilton Gold
For a long time, I've had the issue where I made a change to a corporate reservation via UA, and then I tried going back to my corporate TA for any other changes. My corporate TA would say, "The airline has taken over your reservation." It didn't mean they couldn't help, but it would take longer while they "restored" control of the booking.
Old Nov 10, 19, 8:29 pm

Programs: United 1k, *wood LT Plat
Also noticed this recently with my reservations. My inclination is that its a United-side change. When I go into a reservation and click change, I get the same message above. However, if I go into the reservation (typically single cabin trips), click "upgrade", and then cancel out of the upgrade screen, it brings me to an older version of the United.com page that allows me to make changes. Haven't found a workaround if I'm on a trip that can accommodate an upgrade.
Old Nov 10, 19, 9:57 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
What are people supposed to do if they have to make a change but are unable to contact their travel agent or travel department (ie., on the other side of the world, six time-zones away) ?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: