HA to UA connection question

Old Nov 8, 19, 2:39 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM
Posts: 591
HA to UA connection question

Mods, please feel free to move this if there is an existing thread where this question would be better placed.

I have a flight tomorrow (11/9) on HA from KOA to HNL with a connection to UA #383 HNL-DEN. I know that I cannot check in for my UA flight until after I have been "processed" on/thru my HA flight. Herein lies the question; will I be able to check in on my App once HA scans my boarding pass or is there a "lag" where I won't be able to check in until I land in HNL? I am only concerned because my connect is only 90 minutes (easy to make in HNL), but since the flight is sold out in 1st, I want to make sure I check in ASAP and don't risk losing my seat. What is the experience of the FT sages? TYIA!
bluedemon211 is offline  
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:53 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 24,500
Once you are en route to HNL you can check-in on the UA app. Might work after BP is scanned ... haven't tried that yet.
cfischer is offline  
Old Nov 8, 19, 3:08 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New York / Hawaii
Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Posts: 4,092
In the last few months, I've noticed growing problems between UA and HA where the systems nor policies connect like they used to.

However, if you are on one ticket, HA should be able to check you in onto the UA flight at least at the airport.

My latest problem is UA isn't able to check me in to HA flights. And even after I'm checked in on a UA flight, I can't check into a HA flight until I'm at a HA airport.
Weatherboy is offline  
Old Nov 8, 19, 3:36 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM
Posts: 591
Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
In the last few months, I've noticed growing problems between UA and HA where the systems nor policies connect like they used to.

However, if you are on one ticket, HA should be able to check you in onto the UA flight at least at the airport.
Unfortunately that has not been my recent experience. It may have just been the GA, but the HA agent claimed she could check the bags through (for a fee) but NOT check me in for the UA flights. I had to do that in HNL.
bluedemon211 is offline  
Old Nov 8, 19, 6:29 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 24,500
Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
In the last few months, I've noticed growing problems between UA and HA where the systems nor policies connect like they used to.

However, if you are on one ticket, HA should be able to check you in onto the UA flight at least at the airport.

My latest problem is UA isn't able to check me in to HA flights. And even after I'm checked in on a UA flight, I can't check into a HA flight until I'm at a HA airport.
nope, hasn't worked for me at all. Something clearly is not working well between the two right now
cfischer is offline  
Old Nov 9, 19, 12:01 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM
Posts: 591
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
nope, hasn't worked for me at all. Something clearly is not working well between the two right now
OK, this is officially weird. I checked in last night with HA for the 1st segment KOA-HNL. This morning (12 hours before the 1st UA flight) I checked my UA App and I have been checked in for my UA flight tonight AND have a boarding pass! So we have gone from the two systems not even being able to interline bags correctly to checking me all the way through (with BP's) like a *Alliance partner. I am happy but confused.
bluedemon211 is offline  
Old Nov 9, 19, 12:20 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 24,500
Originally Posted by bluedemon211 View Post
OK, this is officially weird. I checked in last night with HA for the 1st segment KOA-HNL. This morning (12 hours before the 1st UA flight) I checked my UA App and I have been checked in for my UA flight tonight AND have a boarding pass! So we have gone from the two systems not even being able to interline bags correctly to checking me all the way through (with BP's) like a *Alliance partner. I am happy but confused.
strange. Didn't work 3 weeks ago ... had to bet BP in HNL
cfischer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread