Thank you for being 1K

Old Nov 8, 19, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
It has picked up for me also...along with the dreaded Hertz rental car attempted sell...
This, and the Club Card. The pressure when I called the club line was beyond intense. The person just wouldn't stop - I think they must either have targets or they get a little slice of money when they sell one.

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh View Post
In the long-run brand loyalty is extremely difficult build and very easy to destroy. I'm afraid United seems interested in testing the limits of how easy it is to destroy.
I think they've gone a long way beyond "testing the limits". They've been passed.

Originally Posted by milepig View Post
Yes, there as well, I'd forgotten about the UC. It's everwhere! I got it when I checked in and again as I left.
This is too funny. I just received a response to a Customer Care message I'd sent in to compliment some employees who went above and beyond. The response included:

Thank you for your proven loyalty as a Premier 1K Mileage member

It is everywhere.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 9, 19 at 9:25 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 8, 19, 1:54 pm

Thank you for being a loyal United Premier Gold member. Now if you can book six times the number of flights you booked last year you'll be able to keep your status for 2021

-James
leoo likes this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
words are cheap. They don't cost UA anything. Perhaps it drives home the message for some employees as well there is a value of 1Ks for UA
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
words are cheap. They don't cost UA anything.
Try telling that to UA's lead negotiator to the Union?!
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
I'd say I started noticing this about 3 months ago. It definitely hit via a memo during the summer in my opinion. Everyone says, "Thanks for being a loyal 1K". Many on the 1K line are now thanking me for my million miler status at the same time. It's a nice touch.

-RM
Old Nov 8, 19, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Titanium (LT Plat), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by riphamilton View Post
the hertz thing is starting to annoy me. not that it's the agent's fault - if anything, i feel bad that they're being forced to pitch it.

it just leaves a cheesy taste after an otherwise productive and genial call. "i'm being used transactionally" cheese, not pecorino.
All customer service call centers seem to have a problem recognizing when you really want to get off the phone and instead do everything they can to delay your departure. I've been experimenting with saying "yes" to the Hertz/Marriott question, then simply hanging up after they transfer me as the phone is ringing. That way the agent gets (I hope at least) a pat on the back for a referral and I don't feel like I'm just hanging up on them to get off the phone quicker.
riphamilton likes this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Guess I am odd man out. I've been recognized and thanked as a 1K consistently for the past few years by GA, Flight crew and phone agents. What has wavered is recognition as *G on LH flights.
Old Nov 8, 19, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
FlyerTalk seems to be about evenly split between people who complain about no status recognition and people who complain about getting status recognition. One thing's for sure - everyone on FT complains about something.
Old Nov 8, 19, 5:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
In my phone call from United in addressing my DOT complaint about the changes in the UC club entry requirements... began with...
Thank you for being a 1K and 3MM flier.......

Does it make a difference -- no...
Old Nov 8, 19, 5:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Delta/United Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
FlyerTalk seems to be about evenly split between people who complain about no status recognition and people who complain about getting status recognition. One thing's for sure - everyone on FT complains about something.
This x1000000000000000000000000000000

I would suggest for folks to not get overly invested in the transactional world of ______ e.g. airlines. This would help you stay neutral when changes happen. Life moves on.

Also, if someone thanks you, real or not, thank them back. No need to rationalize the deeper meaning.
Old Nov 8, 19, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
Try telling that to UA's lead negotiator to the Union?!
well, that's going to cost them

Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
I'd say I started noticing this about 3 months ago. It definitely hit via a memo during the summer in my opinion. Everyone says, "Thanks for being a loyal 1K". Many on the 1K line are now thanking me for my million miler status at the same time. It's a nice touch.

-RM
agreed

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
who complained about it?
Old Nov 8, 19, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Delta/United Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
who complained about it?
Exhibit A - post #1 :

Originally Posted by milepig View Post
A little bit is great, but this is getting a little annoying...
Old Nov 8, 19, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Guess I am odd man out. I've been recognized and thanked as a 1K consistently for the past few years by GA, Flight crew and phone agents. What has wavered is recognition as *G on LH flights.
when is the last time you have heard a UA flight attendant thank an SAG for being SAG ??? Right ... never ...

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Exhibit A - post #1 :
got it, low threshold for complaining. I don't enjoy this either, frankly. Not a complaint though. Just noted. o.k. for you?
Kacee likes this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
I status matched from Delta the beginning of 2018 and was a little confused by the lack of recognition...especially when taking advantage of the free meal/free drink in economy. I never knew whether they knew I was 1k, or whether I was supposed to show proof, or what, a quick “thanks for being 1k, what can I get you” would have cleared things up.

they have since matched (or even outdone) Delta in the customer recognition department but also in the “let’s screw our elites” department, so I’m heading back. 18k is a bridge too far for me, but I’ll give my 16k/year business to whoever makes me the best offer for it...

thanks for the GPUs and the same day confirms, it wasn’t a bad ride...
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Exhibit A - post #1 :
That would be me. The point is that for years I was cattle. And the at the same point they gut the programs it’s suddenly nothing but thank you for your loyalty with no action to prove that they actually care. It’s just all empty words.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: