Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United has a PAYMENT PLAN?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is an unsecured personal loan. Period.

No idea what the interest rate ranges are because that is not set until the passenger completes the application and the TILA disclosure is provided.

Given the costs of originating a one-off loan, these are likely to be a bad deal as compared to a CC. Thus, for people who lack the cash or revolving credit to pay for a ticket.

Default here is no different than default on any unsecured personal loan. But, what is important to understand is that people who lack the credit to obtain a low-interest CC will likely use most of the credit available to them with this loan. Thus, leaving them in trouble if they have other important expenses to finance, e.g. car repairs.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u
Would you tell that to someone whose loved one in a far-off location was on their death bed? Doubtful, and does not necessarily have anything to do with being a "grown up." Again, options and credit, used responsibly, are good things. We don't know other folks' situations.
Huh? That isn't quite the same as spending beyond your means to go on a vacation
cesco.g likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by bman1002
Such a poor financial decision but I am not surprised to see this. People have been maxing out their credit cards (or tapping a HELOC) to go on vacations for years.
A well-endowed portfolio is of no use to someone who is dying/terminally ill/etc, but memories of a life lived to the fullest can bring a lot more peace than a pile of saved money that one will never get a chance to spend, especially for those of us without kids or dependents. I definitely agree that high APR unsecured loans and HELOC's are a lousy way to finance travel, but I would counter that travel brings at least some of us more joy than any other potential expenditure. I am grateful that I have plenty of CC's to charge my airfare/hotels/etc to, allowing me to earn bonus points and purchase an amount above what my current cash on hand is (not counting long-term savings). I almost always pay them off within a month or two (depending on how complacent/lazy I am at the time). But some people are not in such a position, so at least they have other options available. I would prefer to see slightly less predatory APR, but that is what you get when banks pay off politicians to deregulate everything. Fear not, as I am fairly certain that the banks will not be losing any money in the long run; the risks of abuse have clearly been factored in. Hopefully, they will use judiciously, but that is not for me to concern myself over. Besides, the banks and courts can claw back your ATV's, boats, and 6 bedroom home; however, only death, dementia, or a massive head injury can take away memories of a trip (or two) of a lifetime.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Just a reflection on the crazy amount of debt and small amount of savings that most Americans have.
cesco.g and FlyingNone like this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:00 pm
Suspended

There are a lot of people who buy/lease cars the same way. They don't even know what the total price for the vehicle was. All they look at is the monthly payment they see circled on a sheet slid across the table. Same thing here. There may even be people who could make the ticket purchase on a lower interest CC who don't think of it that way and use this payment plan because the numbers look manageable.

Whether the purchase is a good idea is entirely subjective.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
AA's option to fly now pay later is 0% interest as long as the balance is paid within 6 months. IIRC
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rch4u
Not everyone has thousands of dollars to spend upfront but could swing an expensive ticket if spread over a reasonable amount of time. That is the whole point of credit. Options are good thing, The interest rate being charged is intended to cover the credit risk being assumed.
If you don't have the cash for plane tickets, you should not travel. And that's especially true if you can't get the cash in a cheaper way that via an unsecured personal loan.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by ryman554
However, the general public does not understand math, and have been trained to always buys things based on how much per month (houses, cars, ...) it costs. They think on a cash-flow basis, and $200 a month is a smaller ding than a big $3000 hit all at once.
Ha! How true:

Used car sales person: "Buy this car for $199.00"
or
United: "Fly business class, EWR-CPT return for $199.00"

<puzzled>

"Oh, $199/month for 48 months."
cesco.g likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just encountered this for the first time and for me it just has a slimy feel.

You can see the interest rate ranges by clicking the "?":

Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:21 am

Up to 36% APR.
A real bargain!

Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by narvik
Up to 36% APR.
A real bargain!

That is only because it is the maximum APR which may be charged in many states, California included.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Often1
That is only because it is the maximum APR which may be charged in many states, California included.
The thought of financing a UA flight over 12 months at 36% gives me hives!

It's bad enough to foot the bill upfront, but to think someone has to relive the experience 12 times......YIKES!
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Royal Caribbean has better rates!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.