Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Unconfirmed] UA Preparing to Sell E+ at Booking as Separate Cabin (like DL C+)

[Unconfirmed] UA Preparing to Sell E+ at Booking as Separate Cabin (like DL C+)

Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dilanesp
...A normal weight person fits just fine in 10 across, which is why numerous airlines have switched..
Numerous airlines have switched to primarily boost revenue. Comfort is hardly a concern. "Fit" is something different.

The average American male adult (depending on source) weights 195-198 pounds. They "fit", but hardly in minimal comfort.
twomonger likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I imagine that you just love the slimline seats.
I think they are fine.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The American male of 20 years or greater averages just over 5' 9" in height and 198 lbs in weight. I'm taller and lighter than those averages and the 10-across configuration borders on unacceptable (as many have opined on this message board).

More to the point... people talk about "normal" as if it's synonymous with "average". It's not. In fact, "normal" often implies everything that fits into the average plus and minus one standard deviation. So normal goes beyond 5'9"+ and 198 lbs.
I prefer normal to average. America has an obesity epidemic, anf there's no reason why transport companies should have to supersize everything because of that.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 19, 2019 at 5:51 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: UA MM
I prefer normal to average. America has an obesity epidemic, anf there's no reason why transport companies should have to supersize everything because of that.
No, the conversation hasn't been about "supersizing". It's been about resistance to downsizing. Not a single 777 was outfitted with 10-across seating when the aircraft first came out and people thought the standard 9-across was fine. It was only years later that airlines (many, not all) decided to cram 10 seats in and that's what people don't like.
Halo117 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
No, the conversation hasn't been about "supersizing". It's been about resistance to downsizing. Not a single 777 was outfitted with 10-across seating when the aircraft first came out and people thought the standard 9-across was fine. It was only years later that airlines (many, not all) decided to cram 10 seats in and that's what people don't like.
yes, people thought 9-across was fine. If it had been initially standardized at 8, and went to 9, you can bet people would be complaining just as much. Most carriers around the world have either already switched to 10 across in Y, or are doing it. DL Is an exception, but given it is such a small part of the fleet (what...17 or 18?), it probably isn’t much of an advantage unless you happen to be flying one of the handful of routes where DL flies it.

Look at the 787, which was designed for 8 across, but is almost exclusively flown in a 9 across configuration. JAL I believe is the only exception. It’s tight, sure, but if you need to fly a route in a 787, that’s really the only choice.

The fact is, most travelers focus specifically on price. They only complain about things like seat size after they choose the cheapest price, and then sit in it. Then next time, they would do the same. It’s not everyone’s preference - but enough of a majority that that’s the way carriers are configuring their planes. If there was enough of a majority willing to pay $X extra for their flights to get a bigger seat, airlines would do it. And to and extent, they do. That’s why you can buy E+ (I realize that only legroom, not width), Premium Economy or Business. Or F on the carriers that still offer it. So the bigger seats are there for the minority that are willing to pay.

I don’t fly DL much (at least, right now), so don’t know the general E to C+ Price difference is, but IME, the E+ prices on UA seem like a lot to me. When I’ve seen it, it’s been about $24 on pretty short flights (something like ORD-YYZ, so about 1.5 hours) - which isn’t bad. But to see > $100 on mid-con routes (I’ve sent that on routes like IAH-SJC OR CVG-SFO, and even SFO-DEN at ~$95), seems like too much. If it came with the extras like on DL (free drinks, snack plates, etc.) I think it would be reasonable.
dilanesp likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
yes, people thought 9-across was fine. If it had been initially standardized at 8, and went to 9, you can bet people would be complaining just as much. Most carriers around the world have either already switched to 10 across in Y, or are doing it. DL Is an exception, but given it is such a small part of the fleet (what...17 or 18?), it probably isn’t much of an advantage unless you happen to be flying one of the handful of routes where DL flies it.

Look at the 787, which was designed for 8 across, but is almost exclusively flown in a 9 across configuration. JAL I believe is the only exception. It’s tight, sure, but if you need to fly a route in a 787, that’s really the only choice.

The fact is, most travelers focus specifically on price. They only complain about things like seat size after they choose the cheapest price, and then sit in it. Then next time, they would do the same. It’s not everyone’s preference - but enough of a majority that that’s the way carriers are configuring their planes. If there was enough of a majority willing to pay $X extra for their flights to get a bigger seat, airlines would do it. And to and extent, they do. That’s why you can buy E+ (I realize that only legroom, not width), Premium Economy or Business. Or F on the carriers that still offer it. So the bigger seats are there for the minority that are willing to pay.

I don’t fly DL much (at least, right now), so don’t know the general E to C+ Price difference is, but IME, the E+ prices on UA seem like a lot to me. When I’ve seen it, it’s been about $24 on pretty short flights (something like ORD-YYZ, so about 1.5 hours) - which isn’t bad. But to see > $100 on mid-con routes (I’ve sent that on routes like IAH-SJC OR CVG-SFO, and even SFO-DEN at ~$95), seems like too much. If it came with the extras like on DL (free drinks, snack plates, etc.) I think it would be reasonable.
The only 8-across configuration for a 777 is in Premium Economy. I fully agree that if airlines choose to change PE from 8 to 9 across, people will complain.

edit: A really quick look at just *A members flying 777s, these only configure with 9-across: Asiana, Air China, Singapore, Ethiopian, Thai, Turkish.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Nov 19, 2019 at 10:52 am Reason: added content
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I think they are fine.
It's absolutely the worst seat in the sky in the US. Rated 2 out of 10 for comfort. The seat pans are intolerably short and slope downward. Even Oscar Munoz said they're too small and uncomfortable in an interview with ABC News' reporter, David Kerley.

You must be the only customer who likes them.

And maybe they're unsafe:

https://viewfromthewing.com/faa-requ...onal-aircraft/
Silver Fox and jjmoore like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Nov 19, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:01 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by ryman554
Anyone got four quarters for a dollar?

Two quarters for a dollar?

Two quarters for five dollars?
I'm glad someone remembered the commercial!

Commercial starts at 3:00

Anyone happen to recall the standard E- to E+ buyup for SFO-EWR? More or less than the $179 difference in this chart?
$163 for a middle E+ seat, as reported by my non-status friend.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by PTahCha
I'm glad someone remembered the commercial!

Commercial starts at 3:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSiibkSBTME

$163 for a middle E+ seat, as reported by my non-status friend.
Fantastic!

I think UA should add free "Banquet on a Bun" as a benefit for its GS and 1K passengers in Y.
Kirby-"I like it!"
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:45 pm

10 across is now industry standard. If it was really too tight, this couldn't have happened because passengers would have revolted against it.

As I said, I am tall. Nonetheless, the airlines have every right to control costs by selling seats I can't fit in, such as Spirit's 28 inch pitch. It allows other passengers to save money, and as far as I am concerned that's great.

There's nothing wrong with 10 across 777's because plenty of passengers fit in the seats just fine. If you don't, avoid the plane or pay more, just as I avoid Spirit and pay more.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
10 across is now industry standard. If it was really too tight, this couldn't have happened because passengers would have revolted against it.

As I said, I am tall. Nonetheless, the airlines have every right to control costs by selling seats I can't fit in, such as Spirit's 28 inch pitch. It allows other passengers to save money, and as far as I am concerned that's great.

There's nothing wrong with 10 across 777's because plenty of passengers fit in the seats just fine. If you don't, avoid the plane or pay more, just as I avoid Spirit and pay more.
There is no industry standard. What there is is no other option in a lot of cases. You fit in it, we get that. But do us one massive favour banging on about how it should fit everyone else. It's not about saving money and if it is please share that data with us so we can make our own analysis. As far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with me driving while under intoxicated as I have never crashed whilst drunk and I am a good driver. Geddit?
Miggles and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:57 pm

I've read many posts on this forum where contributors are "revolting" by stating they won't fly 10-across 777s in Y. Did you miss my cursory list of *A airlines who only fly 9-across 777s?
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
There is no industry standard. What there is is no other option in a lot of cases. You fit in it, we get that. But do us one massive favour banging on about how it should fit everyone else. It's not about saving money and if it is please share that data with us so we can make our own analysis. As far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with me driving while under intoxicated as I have never crashed whilst drunk and I am a good driver. Geddit?
You didn't read my post. I said some people fit in it.

If you don't, there are plenty of options, from avoiding the plane, to paying for an extra seat, to Premium Economy and Business.

Not everything has to work FOR YOU. In addition to Spirit and Allegiant, I avoid Basic Economy, as well as American's micro-pitch seats. I also avoid $10,000 international first class, for the opposite reason. I am not outraged that airlines offer products that don't work for me. I buy what does.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
What dates and routes are these E+ fares selling?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Looks like they were allowed to expire on 21-Nov and not replaced or updated yet. UA is probably evaluating the results of their "limited trial".
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by findark
Looks like they were allowed to expire on 21-Nov and not replaced or updated yet. UA is probably evaluating the results of their "limited trial".
I'm eagerly awaiting the "this is what customers asked for" missive from Puzzle Palace.
AeRoSpaceman and narvik like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.